C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restore converted headlights. A easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Restore converted headlights. A easy fix?

I am looking for a Corvette C3 1968-1972 and seen quite a few converted with headlights as shown on the picture below.
Is it a lot of work to restore headlights back to original?
Thinking if there have been any cutting to the fiberglass?
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cost is the largest factor because the headlight assemblies themselves are expensive and if they are old and unrestored they can cost a lot to restore back to smooth working order. The other thing is how much of the headlight location was modified for the scoops. Luckily fiberglass is a very forgiving media and more often than not it's easy to repair. Between the two aspects I would not say it's easy to change back from those after market headlights but it can be done if you don't mine the money or modifications to get it back to stock.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM
mffi115
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, these were all bolt in kits so there shouldn't be any fiberglass work. However, that's no guarantee a particular car hasn't had any mod to the glass. I suggest if you're looking at a particular year, measure the openings and ask someone on the forum to measure there's.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
I think Mark is right.
If there is NONE of the original headlight assembly parts with the car, you should figure their cost ($$$) when deciding what you're willing to pay for a car.
For example I see them listed for $500 each in one of the vendor's catalogues. Then you might need the relays, hoses, and maybe a switch.
Regard,
Alan
Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I see. Thanks for the help
Old 02-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Some of the aftermarket conversion kits bond in; others bolt in. The bolt in variety would be easier to remove.

Regardless of the type of conversion, replacing the stock system is likely to be expensive. You can take a look at any of the on line vendor catalogs and come up with a list of parts and prices.

My advice would be to pass on cars with the conversion kit unless the seller has the original headlights and associated hardware.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 02-23-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I suppose you are right it is best to find a car that have the original headlights in place
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Some of the aftermarket conversion kits bond in; others bolt in. The bolt in variety would be easier to remove.

Regardless of the type of conversion, replacing the stock system is likely to be expensive. You can take a look at any of the on line vendor catalogs and come up with a list of parts and prices.

My advice would be to pass on cars with the conversion kit unless the seller has the original headlights and associated hardware.

MY advice would to be pass on any car with stock headlights, why? because the replacement parts are getting expensive and flooded with China made JUNK, therefore unreliable, as was my experiences with that operating headlight constant maintenance 16 years ago, somehow methinks it not better today...eh??

SO to go to my site there on shutterfly and see the car with reduced openings, and later Camaro bulbs built onto the Eckler's sugar scoop trays you show in your OP there.....

Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have always liked the original pop ups on Corvettes

If you think of the vacum system being bad there is electric motors for the lights that is bolt on

I like the the injection you have But it must be original headlights for me
Attached Images   
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy one with the conversion done Ill swap the oem ones that came with my 74 with you. Even swap.

Get notified of new replies

To Restore converted headlights. A easy fix?

Quick Reply: Restore converted headlights. A easy fix?