Sponsored by:

4 post lift sway

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:07 PM
jabbruzzesi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by totazman
Were you able to do this? Any comments are welcome as I am close to buying a Direct Lift PP8S. I have two vettes at 50-51 inches each. I have 108" clearance under lowest point of garage door opener linkage.
totazman,

I was able to fit them in the 9' space, I went with the Atlas 8000 because as Greatsteaks mentioned above it had zerks and the Direct Lift didn't. As with any Corvette project the overall scope expanded. I took the opportunity to replace the garage door and have the new door and garage door opener hug the ceiling so I didn't have to be limited in the direction of the car on top in order to clear the open garage door. I have the car on top approximately 2" from the ceiling so it gives me 56" underneath so I can get around the lift without having to duck below approximately 50" (if it was one notch lower it would be 50"). I had the lift installed in May 2012 and I don't experience any sway with my lift. I wish I bought a 4 post lift 20 years ago. I hope this helps.

Regards,
John
Old 09-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I have a four post lift and have used it a lot. I would not get near one if it swayed two inches. Something is probably not level and as the car gets higher the movement increases. Make sure all your pads are the same height. Mine is not bolted to the floor as per the manufacturer and installers recomendations. It does move slightly when the lift is lowered onto the stops. If it is moving two inches, then it might shift enough for one of the stop points to lose contact at one of the corners, and collapse.

Quick Reply: 4 post lift sway