Sponsored by:

4 post lift sway

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Greatsteaks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4 post lift sway

My wife and I just installed our new Directlift propark 8s in our garage (her idea, aren't I lucky!) It is leveled and as far as I can tell ready to go. We have been going slow putting our c3 up and down one locking height at a time. Everything is strong and firm up to half way, the higher we go past half way the more it sways. We need to put it up to the second to last lock position to fit our c4 under, it sways about 2 inches left to right when we push on the posts when it is that high, It would be nice to put it up all the way to work under it but I'm afraid to do that before I'm sure the sway is normal. I just don't think I would feel comfortable putting a lot of torque on a bolt when it is at the highest position. Are they all this way or did I do something wrong. Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

What did the mfg co. or retailer/distributor say?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Greatsteaks
Racer

They were closed at the time I asked this question here. I was planning on calling them in the morning but wanted input from other 4 post owners.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know anything about Directlift 4-post lifts, but I've had a 4-post lift (Backyard Buddy) for 6 years. It doesn't sway at all, and we've done some heavy pushing and pulling under the car at 5 feet or so.

Can you see any slop anywhere when it sways? Any gaps that change width as it moves? Wouldn't that be nice if the problem was fixed by a simple adjustment? It will be interesting to hear what the manufacturer has to say.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It should not sway at all...
Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I think thats the one they were selling at the swap meet in Puyallup. It seemed real flimsy to me as well. My Danmar is soild all the way up.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I wouldn't say mine swayed, but it WOULD move a bit if you put the effort into it.
Maybe the high $$$ ones don't move at all but I can't help but think you put 3500+lbs. 6 feet in the air on 4 posts there will be some movement if you tried to move it.
Anyway, because it was convenient for me and added a little piece of mind I added the struts to each post. Also note the mirror on the wall, really helps line up on the lift.
8 years with no problems.....

Last edited by KapsSA; 02-24-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Greatsteaks
Racer

Originally Posted by KapsSA
I wouldn't say mine swayed, but it WOULD move a bit if you put the effort into it.
Maybe the high $$$ ones don't move at all but I can't help but think you put 3500+lbs. 6 feet in the air on 4 posts there will be some movement if you tried to move it.
Anyway, because it was convenient for me and added a little piece of mind I added the struts to each post. Also note the mirror on the wall, really helps line up on the lift.
8 years with no problems.....
Yes, I have to push on it to make it move. You have given me a great idea to support the top! This is how high I can put it without any sway no matter how hard I push on it, any higher and I can start making it move a little, the higher up the more I can sway it mostly left to right.

Untitled by akozub, on Flickr
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using a 4 poster made by Premier Lifts in TX for awhile now, and things basically rock solid with a 3800 lb car on it. Don't know what you paid for yours, but mine was $3K ten years ago. Strange you having to go nearly to the top, as have a 48" C6 under mine, and still have four more 4-1/2" stops to go.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Greatsteaks
Racer

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
I've been using a 4 poster made by Premier Lifts in TX for awhile now, and things basically rock solid with a 3800 lb car on it. Don't know what you paid for yours, but mine was $3K ten years ago. Strange you having to go nearly to the top, as have a 48" C6 under mine, and still have four more 4-1/2" stops to go.
I don't have to go all the way to the top to fit our c4 under it but if I do it sways. How do you have a half stop? Don't you rest your on the stop when you park under it?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Greatsteaks
Racer

From what I have read most of open channel 4 post lifts are all the same. We were going to buy an Atlas 8k lift from Greg Smih Eauipment in Arizona (who also sells Drlirectlift for $300 more) when I called they said that both lifts are exactly the same in every way. I found out that Directlift has a warehouse here in Denver. The fact that the Direct lift was certified (most others are not) and that I could just go pick one up local made me go with the Directlift.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mines at 50" clear, and only took it to the next 54-1/2" stop couple times, because of ceiling and garage door issues for the top car. Never actually had the lift to the top of it's range, but pretty rock solid where it's at. A little freaky driving a 48" car under it at first with only 2" clearance, but managed to get over it.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my 2cents. Check for equal distance between the legs length, width, and diagnal, they should all be about the same. On ours we even added some floor plates that were 2'x2' to the base of the legs to help spread the load over the floor (not sure of the old concrete thickness). Then I did put 2 3/4" bolts thru the floor plates and into the floor and epoxy them in also. Our unit is 18' long and holds 12k#, and we never stand under it while raising lowering and when we set it on the locks we put a little tension on it to keep it tight.

Good Luck wro87
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If the lift is black it is likely manufactured in China, which is fine. They are self leveling and, according to my distributor (Techlifts, Attleboro, Mass), should not be bolted to the floor.

If your floor is level and the locks are centered in the channels, you are probably fine. If I have to exert some force when wrenching at full height there is some movement but not enough to make me worry. I have had mine for about 4 years and have had no issues. You will become more comfortable with the passage of time. Just be attentive when lifting or lowering
Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same lift and it did sway a bit when all the way up and a C3 on it. I stored one of my other Vettes under it and used it to work on all my cars. Never had an issue.

The mfg does not recommend that it be securred at the top.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
jabbruzzesi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Mines at 50" clear, and only took it to the next 54-1/2" stop couple times, because of ceiling and garage door issues for the top car. Never actually had the lift to the top of it's range, but pretty rock solid where it's at. A little freaky driving a 48" car under it at first with only 2" clearance, but managed to get over it.
Vette5.5 - What is your ceiling height? I have 9' ceiling with a normal height garage door, and was looking to put in a 4 post lift. My initial measurements seem to be as tight as yours.
I will be stacking a C3 & C4 - both around 48".
Thanks,
John
Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a photo of our two post lift, with support plates. I like the idea of having so many lifting options. The lift is exteamly stable, no wobbles at all. Just an idea. Al

Get notified of new replies

To 4 post lift sway

Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Directlifts are made in an ISO9001 compliant factory located in Haimen, China.

Of the top 10 countries for ISO 9001 certificates in 2009, China ranked #1.

Seeing as CHINA is known worldwide for their top quality workmanship, you probably have nothing to worry about. Perhaps that sway is built in on purpose in case of earthquake?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the bottom plates for the main uprights are not exactly square with the uprights...or flat with the floor..., you may get a bit of sway when you raise the lift with weight (car) on it. I had the same thing. It bothered me for a while, but I got used to it.

Then, I decided to resolve that little issue and eliminate any possibility of slippage. I bought a thick rubber mat at Lowe's (about 3/8" thick, black rubber, with perforations); the mat is about 2 feet by 3 feet in size....found in the "Carpeting" area. (The mat is used for individuals who stand on concrete doing work for long periods of time.)

I cut four pieces from it that are the same size as the bottom plates on the uprights. Put the wheels on the rig and raise the uprights off the floor a bit. Then used "Liquid Nails" adhesive to stick the pads to the underside of the bottom plates. Dropped the rig back down on the uprights and let the adhesive cure. Done deal!!! No more sway...no possible slippage. Worked great.

P.S. ISO certification has very little to do with "good" quality. It is a certification that a company is actually following its own procedures regarding Quality. Now, if those procedures don't really provide for a quality product, that's not really a concern of the ISO certification. [Strange...but true. I carried an ISO auditor certification prior to my retirement]

Last edited by 7T1vette; 02-24-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Haven't you read enough of my posts concerning CHINA made products to know sarcasm when you read it?

The following users liked this post:
jr73 (09-24-2016)

Quick Reply: 4 post lift sway