Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on '79 L82

Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM
AmericanVet
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thoughts on '79 L82

I'm looking at a 79 L82 4spd white/blue w 33K. Original owner. States nothing has been changed or modified and never been in accident. Owner states the only problem is headlamps don't move smoothly and peeling on the nose. My problem is, it's too far for one on one inspection (will be transported) it's reasonable priced based on days of searching on the net of other 79s. Other than usual questions, "has the vehicle been in an accident" ...what should I ask or be concerned with?

Thanks

whits

Last edited by AmericanVet; 03-14-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by AmericanVet
...what should I...be concerned with?...
You should be concerned with purchasing the car without having seen it.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM
AmericanVet
Cruising

One Mike to other...you are absolutely correct. However, this could be a diamond in the rough but than again a money pit. You just don't know. I since I am not very versed on vettes, even if I saw it in person, I might not pick up on the subtle details of a bad buy. Though I have been doing my homework the past month, still a novice.

Easy Mike, to nice to be chattin, over on the Harley for a run

whits
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

I'm looking at a 79 L82 4spd white/blue w 33K. Original owner. States nothing has been changed or modified and never been in accident. Owner states the only problem is headlamps don't move smoothly and peeling on the nose. My problem is, it's too far for one on one inspection (will be transported) it's reasonable priced based on days of searching on the net of other 79s. Other than usual questions, "has the vehicle been in an accident" ...what should I ask or be concerned with?

Thanks

whits
Not to be critical, but I'm a little concerned with your ability to determine if the price is reasonable. You state yourself you aren't very versed on these cars. You do know '79s are the most common Corvette produced before the C4s, right?

I wonder what is so striking about this deal, complete with peeling nose, that you need to buy it sight unseen and have it transported without at the very least a personal inspection by somebody.

I've been buying Corvettes since the 70s, and I wouldn't buy it sight unseen.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:24 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Pay someone to inspect the car. Local corvette club or local corvette shop.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM
slopoke17
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 131 Posts

I bought my 77 with similar mileage. The car was all original down to the faded paint, included all documentation etc.. I purchased it from a dealer in PA. who had a really good reputation so that helped a lot. They sent lots of pictures but I still had an inspection completed as I couldn't make the long drive to check it out. My bank offered this service for $125 which was well worth it. He test drove the car and confirmed the overall condition which was as stated by the dealer. I've had no surprises and the car mechanically is actually better than I thought it would be.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...You just don't know...
So why take a chance and fork over money for a thrity year old Corvette you haven't seen?

See what you can find for sale closer to home.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:28 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
So why take a chance and fork over money for a thrity year old Corvette you haven't seen?

See what you can find for sale closer to home.

You might at least complete your profile or indicate the location of the car - - maybe someone here on the forum either knows the car- or can go eyeball it for you.

Never, ever buy sight unseen - it's generally a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the most helpful corvette people you will ever find are on this forum

give more info on the car and its location and if you are willing to give a little compensation i am sure that someone here on the forum if close to the car can inspect it for you piece of mind is priceless dont throw your money away
Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I would be really careful on that, especially if you are not that sure about what to look for. You are going off of what somebody, who wants to sell a car, is telling you. Even if they are not misrepresenting the car on purpose, the condition of a car is a bit subjective.
If you can find out for sure the condition of the car and the critical points (as always rust of frame and bird cage, etc...) then you can come back and tell us what you intend for the car (weekend driver, show car, restore to factory) and get an idea of how much it will take to get it there. These cars can suck up money in a hurry. Ask anyone here :-)
Having said that... it could indeed be a great car. At this point we just don't know.
Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 PM
AmericanVet
Cruising

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Not to be critical, but I'm a little concerned with your ability to determine if the price is reasonable. You state yourself you aren't very versed on these cars. You do know '79s are the most common Corvette produced before the C4s, right?

I wonder what is so striking about this deal, complete with peeling nose, that you need to buy it sight unseen and have it transported without at the very least a personal inspection by somebody.

I've been buying Corvettes since the 70s, and I wouldn't buy it sight unseen.
As far as price being reasonable, based on the past few weeks looking for at L82 4spd matching numbers are going for 16K to 30K. The price for this vehicle is very reasonable...that's if this car is all it is said to be. Now yes, '79 had close to 54K produced. But of the 54k produced - only 14,500 were L82. Of the 54K produced, only 4000 were 4spd. Of the 4K 4spd produced maybe 2000 were L82 - maybe higher. So to be on the conservative sign maybe only 3000 L82 4spd were produced, most likely less. And this does not account for color. So maybe 1000+ white L82 4spd were produce. I might be a novice in the working of a car, but less than 3000 out 54,000 to me is fairly rare. This is why for the price, if this car is all it is said to be, it be worth getting.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

First, regardless of whether you know anything about Vettes or not, LOOK at it or have someone look at it for you.

Second, how much are you paying for it! Tell us, how can we tell what kind of deal you're getting.

Third, if you thing the going rate for 79 L82 4speeds are $16K to $30K(I WISH) you're way off, especially in todays market.(I have a 8K mile original I'll let you have for $22500)

And your figures are off, too.
4062 CLOSE ratio 4 speeds were sold in 79, ALL of those in L82s, not even available in the L48s.
8291 WIDE ratio 4 speeds were sold in 79, some in L82s, some in L48s.
Was just a matter of checking the option box or not.
For a 79, not really any consideration of color combinations with motor and trans combinations! No body CARES! And I LOVE the 79s
Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 PM
AmericanVet
Cruising

Originally Posted by KapsSA
First, regardless of whether you know anything about Vettes or not, LOOK at it or have someone look at it for you.

Second, how much are you paying for it! Tell us, how can we tell what kind of deal you're getting.

Third, if you thing the going rate for 79 L82 4speeds are $16K to $30K(I WISH) you're way off, especially in todays market.(I have a 8K mile original I'll let you have for $22500)

And your figures are off, too.
4062 CLOSE ratio 4 speeds were sold in 79, ALL of those in L82s, not even available in the L48s.
8291 WIDE ratio 4 speeds were sold in 79, some in L82s, some in L48s.
Was just a matter of checking the option box or not.
For a 79, not really any consideration of color combinations with motor and trans combinations! No body CARES! And I LOVE the 79s
Thanks.....I did not know they was a difference in the 4spd. but 4062 out of 54,000 is still a low number. as far as prices, one 79 is up for action on ebay from a dealership and the bid is over 15k. I was just checking usedcorvettesforsale.com their are four 79 over 23K. One site I was on had a 79 7k mi with, now get this, the original tires, asking 29999. There are plenty of 79s over 16K. I'm not just throwing out numbers.

Anyway, I think my deal fell through. The person was asking 10K which I thought was a very reasonable price for a 79 L82 4spd t-top with 34K miles on it.....from the original owner

Time to move on to other car, just so I can ask another annoying question on this blog....
Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 PM
AmericanVet
Cruising

Thanks everyone for your input...I appreciate the help
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Everybody's first Corvette goes about like that. Teaches you not to do that again. You'll have so much money in that thing before you're done that you could have just bought a good one.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Seem to be a LOT of high priced Vettes on ALL of the "for sale. com" type of sites.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
AmericanVet
Cruising

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Seem to be a LOT of high priced Vettes on ALL of the "for sale. com" type of sites.
Yes there are....now I am still looking for 79 L82 4spd. but am eyeing 73, 68, 69 convertibles...How's that for a change of speed.

I am just weary of the cars where they have changed engines from originals.

OMG here is comes: Another annoying question from AMVET:

One: doesn't non matching numbers change the value of the car? or am I just putting to much stock it that notion?

two: a month of reading dozen of articles, it appears (of course their are mechanics that are just magical in the shop), changing out OEM parts can be a death sentence...nothing but problems...

Get notified of new replies

To thoughts on '79 L82

Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM
AmericanVet
Cruising

Hey Forum...thoughts on this...it was an L82 but it was modified:

1979 corvette very nice condition for a 34 year old car runs great starts right up aprow 12000 milse on rebuilt jasper engine 4 new tires new exhaust t tops brakes havr aprox 2 k on them amfm cd player with boster speaker new starter ac needs charge and power door locks neet repair .i am selling this car because i dont have the time to use it this is not a show car it is ment to be driven and enjoyed
Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...This is why for the price, if this car is all it is said to be, it be worth getting...
Possibly, but not without seeing it up close and personal.

... one 79 is up for action on ebay from a dealership and the bid is over 15k...
Food for thought: the dealer has a friend bidding on the car to get the price up.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Try to buy a car with the original engine unless you plan to modify it which then it probably does not matter. A Corvette is always worth more if it still has the same engine it drove off the assembly line with.

Try to buy a car from a fussy owner. Try to buy a car that has records of its history.

Bear in mind until you get enough experience you will always underestimate repair and refurbishing costs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thoughts on '79 L82