windshield sealant placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default windshield sealant placement

I really want to try to get everything finished up for the windshield install and ready for the glass guys. I need some help with where to put the sealant to prevent water leakage into the windshield frame. under the t-molding and the chrome corner pieces is what I am referring to. I have the 3M dum dum caulk and then also a tube of urethane sealant. I have looked through the AIM but only see where it looks likes the most forward edging was done. Do you guys have any pics of info on this. I have my windshield out and cleaned and sanded then primered and painted so I am just needing to finish this last step but not sure on how to proceed.

thanks in advance,

Sully
Old 03-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Sully,
I believe I'd have the people who will install the glass test fit the glass and all the ss trim.
I'd then have them take it all back out, put the sealer and glass in place, but leave the ss trim off.
Then you can fill the gap around the top and 2 sides of the glass, and the windshield frame with the dum-dum/3M strip sealer.
You can fill as much of the open areas of the windshield header and rest of the center bar of the birdcage as you see fit.
I believe that if the windshield is well sealed, and the seam between the main header ss trim and the long thin piece of ss trim is sealed, the seal between the roof panel weather strip and the ss t-bar trim is what stops the water.
I'd also run a couple of strips of the 3M sealer on the length of the a-pillar ss trim and the a-pillar weather strip retainer as you put those on.
I used the AIM as a guide for where the sealer went, but used the 3M strip sealer everywhere. Not the assortment of sealers the AIM indicates.
Enough for you to begin?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

careful along the lower edge-too much and the sealant will ooze out and bond to the front of top dash pad. a glass guy did this to me, and i'm dreading the time i might have to remove the glass or dash pad.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Allen, I'm glad to hear from you and was hoping you would chime in. You always have great advice and know these cars well since you have been there and done that with your 71. I guess I am just nervous about the whole thing going back together and all. I want to do it right so as to prevent leaks and damage to the car. I want this thing to last so when I am 70 I can still drive it.

After looking over the AIM i could see where the most forward portion of the chrome corner pieces were sealed with dum dum but I didn't see the expanse across the front between the corner pieces where the T-molding caps onto the top of the windshield frame. I'm just a bit confused.

Also is there any that goes across the back of the that molding where it extends to the back of the car. I know there was some underneath it and then there was something else that was on top between the metal pieces and the fiberglass ... some kind of filler... almost like play-do

Sully

Get notified of new replies

To windshield sealant placement

Quick Reply: windshield sealant placement