Sponsored by:

1973 leaking oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM
redwater_ric
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 leaking oil pan gasket

I am new to this forum and looking for any tips on replacing the oil pan gasket on my car. have new gasket set and tools. how hard can this be?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redwater_ric
I am new to this forum and looking for any tips on replacing the oil pan gasket on my car. have new gasket set and tools. how hard can this be?

Changing the pan gasket itself is very easy and self explanatory. However, you'll notice the steering components prevents the pan from dropping enough to get it out. Luckily, there is a solution. On the passenger side, the steering connects to the frame via the idler arm. Google Image Corvette Idler Arm for pics or just go out and look. Two bolts, and the arm is loose from the frame. With the front wheels off the ground this will let you pull that steering stuff down. The wheels will toe in to one another but this is normal and the alignment is returned by simply bolting the idler back in place. With the steering pulled down you'll have enough room to get the pan out.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM
redwater_ric
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Riles
Changing the pan gasket itself is very easy and self explanatory. However, you'll notice the steering components prevents the pan from dropping enough to get it out. Luckily, there is a solution. On the passenger side, the steering connects to the frame via the idler arm. Google Image Corvette Idler Arm for pics or just go out and look. Two bolts, and the arm is loose from the frame. With the front wheels off the ground this will let you pull that steering stuff down. The wheels will toe in to one another but this is normal and the alignment is returned by simply bolting the idler back in place. With the steering pulled down you'll have enough room to get the pan out.
Many Thanks, I will be trying to do this tomorrow. Its been 30 years since I last works on a vette
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Check that rear main seal while your at it..Here's a great writeup,hope this helps you out!http://www.corvettehacks.com/article5 Good luck..
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Also remember to get the right sized front seal. There are 2 sizes and if you get the wrong one you will have a mess at startup. I just rebuilt my engine and used the one piece Felpro silicone pan gasket with the seals made into it. It also comes with new pan bolts and 4 plastic studs to hold it in place and line up the pan. Get the right sized gasket and put a good sized bead of silicone sealer in the groove and let it set up then bolt it back up

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 leaking oil pan gasket

Quick Reply: 1973 leaking oil pan gasket