"CORRECT" AM/FM/CB for C3

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default "CORRECT" AM/FM/CB for C3

OK, I'm going to get flamed for wanting to put a little 'retro' in my C3. It came with a SONY AM/FM/CD when I purchased in '97. PO had the orig AM/FM/CB and, around 2000, I installed it to find it had a blown set of channels (left front/right rear if I recall correctly). Not knowing of any resto shops, I sold it on eBay for $50 plus S&H. Fast-forward to about 2008 and I get the bug to find one and lay down $150 for a working unit.

Well, 4 years later, I've got the gauge cluster removed and find that the replacement unit is too large (too deep and likely too tall). It protrudes from the limited confines of the dash area.

My question: What are the dimensions of the correct AM/FM/CB... just in case I get the bug (less likely now) to try this endeavor once again.

I will put the SONY unit back in this week. Nice surprise was a pair of L/R RCA jacks on the rear of the SONY unit. I hope I can run a mini cable to those from my DROID phone and play Pandora through it. So, not a total wasted exercise.

90 degrees here in NWAR. I don't think I EVER saw 90 degrees Apr 1 in FL but memory does fade (just like my memory of the pain of removing half the dash last time I tried to take a step back in time with the C3).

I love my C3 ('80 L48... slightly warmed over)

Footnote: Part of the reason for the attempted 'swap' is battery drain. Two items in the car that likely drain the battery are the SONY unit and the analog clock. SONY for the presets and the clock... well, so it can keep on tickin'. I've already worn out my quick-disconnect on the battery; time to see about getting a new/better disconnect

Last edited by TedH; 04-01-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM
77BLACKNSMOKE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HUMM Makes my wonder.
I have a '77 that I got a '80 Caddy cb unit for. I understood that in '77 the Vettes switched over to a "standard size" GM radio. And that the factory AM/FM/CB's should fit. And mine has a remote CB converter box.
I'm not to worried about the sounds. As my exaust is too loud to hear it anyway.
Vettes first offered the CBs in '78.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:21 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 77BLACKNSMOKE
HUMM Makes my wonder.
I have a '77 that I got a '80 Caddy cb unit for. I understood that in '77 the Vettes switched over to a "standard size" GM radio. And that the factory AM/FM/CB's should fit. And mine has a remote CB converter box.
I'm not to worried about the sounds. As my exaust is too loud to hear it anyway.
Vettes first offered the CBs in '78.
Will sleuth further.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Check to see that the light in your center storage compartment is actually off. This was the issue on my 69. With the door closed, the light was not actually off. If I opened the right door I could see that the light was still on.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

what's the radio you have look like? This is an old auction, but its the correct one for you car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...c#ht_500wt_950
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Or, if your's has a 'delay module' for the interior lighting that has malfunctioned and is draining the battery when car is OFF.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 AM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I also had a problem with the light in the center storage compartment. With the door opened it never turned on and I didn't even know it had a light at first. The car would randomly discharge the battery at times. One day I was in the passenger side compartment and noticed light shining through a gap...the light was turning on when the door was closed.
Tapping the area would cause it to flicker on/off which explained why sometimes the battery drained and other times it didn't.

The Sony stereo isn't causing battery drain. The memory presets probably draw less power than a digital wristwatch which can run for years on a tiny battery. The factory analog clock doesn't draw much power either, I've started my car many times after 5 to 6 months of storage without having to recharge or jump start.

Lastly, the RCA ports on the back of your Sony are most likely an output for an amplifier. Attach your phone to them and you're going to destroy something...probably the phone.
Personally I'd toss that 15 year old antique Sony and spend $100 to $150 on a modern head unit. It'll have front inputs jacks for an MP3 player, USB stick and ipod. You'll be able to plug your phone right in. It'll also be able to read MP3 files off a CD which means you can fit several hundreds songs on a single disc.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

You'd think you could have gotten a ETR (electrionically tuned radio) with CB and cassette in 82, but according to the option list the CB was only avail with the 8-track. I bet the General produced an ETR radio with cassette and CB a few years later. Wouldn't be right for your car, but would be better to listen to and probably fit right in.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
boeing46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TedH
OK, I'm going to get flamed for wanting to put a little 'retro' in my C3. It came with a SONY AM/FM/CD when I purchased in '97. PO had the orig AM/FM/CB and, around 2000, I installed it to find it had a blown set of channels (left front/right rear if I recall correctly). Not knowing of any resto shops, I sold it on eBay for $50 plus S&H. Fast-forward to about 2008 and I get the bug to find one and lay down $150 for a working unit.
Don't feel so bad. I'll bet there are many other like you and me that installed a more modern up to date radio that plays cds. I kept my old radio with the bad channels just in case someone wants it after I pass on. This is my last hot rod.
My cd looks and works good. There are some purists that want all original even their radio. I like my cd collection and want to hear my tunes in the best possible player.

Get notified of new replies

To "CORRECT" AM/FM/CB for C3

Quick Reply: "CORRECT" AM/FM/CB for C3