Sponsored by:

The "Quest" has ended. My cell phone rang,

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts
Default The "Quest" has ended. My cell phone rang,

I asked and have wondered how many previous owners there were. Who were they, were did they live, why did they have this car...why did they put it up for adoption? How long did they care for it....etc.
We adopted her in 2004, and I am friends with the previous owner, but that was as far as I could get..
He told me what little he could remember and I tried and tried to find more info.......VIN search, title history request, phone calls.......

Working yesterday and my cell phone rings......not a number I recognize but answer anyway.
On the title history when I got the car from Ross there was a "name" (Rick) on it, where it had been signed over to Ross in 1994. I knew Rick went to school at Oklahoma University and that he had borrowed money at a bank in Bentonville Ark. Now can I find him.......
Googled Ricks name an attorney in dallas shows up....search the site a bit and find out he went to Law school at OU back in 1994....What are the odds a guy with the exact same name, was going to OU during the exact time period I needed to know....

I called the firm and talked with the secretary and she had no clue....but, said I could leave a message for Rick and gave me his extension..
"Hi, Rick my name is Steve and I think I own a car you had back in 1994. It's a 73 Red Big Block 4spd corvette......If you were a previous owner I would appreciate a call back...Thank you #580 541 ----"

I was so disappointed in the title history and now was sure this was just another wasted phone call, but I had hope. Yesterday my cell phone rings, I don't recognize the number but, take the call.........
IT'S Rick!!! He did own a Red Big Block 73 4spd corvette in 1994 and sold it to Russ or Ross he couldn't remember.....I told him Ross.
We visited for at least a half an hour, very nice guy (for an attorney) hehe ....Rick and his wife had their first date in this car
He bought it from a Disc Jockey that worked at KMOD Rock Station in Tulsa....Rick said the guys was real "flashy" all show and no go he's the one that had the car painted Millie Miglia Red, to match his personality I guess.
Rick was friends with the banker in Bentonville and talked him into financing the car on an "interest only" note, said he went thru this big schpeal about how she'll be collectable someday and only appreciate in value (sounds like an attorney) convinced them to do this weird loan.......he was going to law school and couldn't afford the payments to be anymore than just interest.....never paid a penny on the principal.
Well, he got in a pinch and had to sell it anyway to be able to finish Law school.......sounded like he really didn't want to sell her, but had no other option.
The owner before the DJ had taken the motor out to put in some fancy dancy race motor so they could take it to the track and drive it into the ground.......
but, they never put the race engine in the car.....it just sat in the garage with no motor in it.....
they finally decided that the car would be worth more if they just put everything back in it....so they did...whew, am I glad they did!

So, after 18 years of not knowing where or how his Ole girl was doing Rick is now pleased to know she is in good hands and being well taken care of......I could hear the enthusiasm and excitement in his voice...he just "lit up" when we talked about her.
I sent Rick several of the best pics we have of her and this is what he e-mailed back to me

Thanks Steve,

The ole girl looks great!! My wife has already asked me to make sure we get called first if you “fall in love” with a different car and decide you can live without the ’73. I’ll look for my pics this weekend. . . .

THANKS

He wants to buy her back! ......we'll have to see about that one.....remember it's my wife's car not mine. Although she's a real sucker for love stories and when I told her they had taken their first date in her car.. she almost started crying and said, "They should own this car"
I had been looking for 8 years to find out about previous owners and now I have hit the jackpot and will be getting pics, meeting in person and visiting more with one of the Ole girls lost flames......who knows he may even get her back someday.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 04-20-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

What a great story !

I'd buy back just about every one of my ten previous Corvettes going back to the red 64 air coupe I owned in 1974 . . .

Thanks for sharing - - very cool
Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Quite a story.

It may be that the car is more significant to him (and his wife) than to you... Hard to say. If so, maybe you and your wife can "adopt" a new one.

Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM
wyocat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Nothing like history with a car, I can tell you for a fact that there is no feeling like the one you get when you climb behind the wheel of a car you drove 35 years ago.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice story. It's nice to know the FULL history of your car.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently posted on craigs in new york, trying to get info on my car...the former owner in MA had passed away at a young age at that, he was my age...I am 38 now, he was 33 when he passed suddenly...If love to get some info on my car
Old 04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
BigMojo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. What a great story. Inspires me to see what I can find out about my new '71.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

super cool, thanks for sharing!

Sully
Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

that is a really cool story thank you for sharing.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 73,
That's a very good tale and you're why people keep looking for the previous owners. You just never know when that majgc phone number will come your way!
Well Done!
Regards,
Alan

By the way... Mille Miglia Red cars aren't flashy, nor are most of their owners!
All Corvettes are red to begin with, and a few are painted other colors by mistake.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:02 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story!!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Very cool story.

I've traced my '71 back as far as 1999 through WV and PA.

Waiting to hear back from PA DMV for pre-1999 info as we speak.

The car was sold new at Grabiak Chevy in New Alexandria, PA, (1/2hr east of Pittsburgh) and I'd be surprised if the car was ever titled outside PA before being titled in WV in 1999.

Hope my luck is as good as yours.

Mark
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71

By the way... Mille Miglia Red cars aren't flashy, nor are most of their owners!
All Corvettes are red to begin with, and a few are painted other colors by mistake.
Note to self.....Alan says All corvettes are red.....make sure to check paint codes from now on.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 73,
That's a very good tale and you're why people keep looking for the previous owners. You just never know when that majgc phone number will come your way!
Well Done!
Regards,
Alan

Hah! Regarding MM Red, that's the case for at least TWO of them in the world anyway, eh Alan?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

That 1997 book by James Schefter, "All Corvettes are Red" is a great read. The R&D from C4-C5 was amazing.

Get notified of new replies

To The "Quest" has ended. My cell phone rang,

Quick Reply: The "Quest" has ended. My cell phone rang,