Sponsored by:

79 How best to remove bumpers and mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Aussie79
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 79 How best to remove bumpers and mirrors

Decided to paint my 79, Im doing all the R&R work and the strip and paint is done by some very talented painters at work.

So, they tell me the bumpers and mirrors have to come off, the bumpers are in excellent condition with hardly a ripple in them, rear looks new, so I want them to go back on the same, hows do I do this and whats the chances of them looking just as good or better?

Also, sports mirrors, two bolts each, one bolt no problem, other is a dog, glass in the way, how do I undo them without removing glass?

Thanks, Dennis.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

I did the same thing when I had my 79 painted. On the mirrors I lowered the glass as far as it would go and moved it away from the mirror nuts. Slow process, but by moving the glass you can obtain enough room to remove the mirrors. Don't forget to remove the chrome trim from the outside of the door while you have the door glass moved inward. If you paint your Vette a metallic and paint the bumper covers off of the car, make sure the paint flows the same on the bumpers as the car as it can make the bumpers look like they are a different shade than the body because of the the way the metallic flows. I know this from experience. If you stand in from of my car, it looks like the headlight covers are a different color.

Quick Reply: 79 How best to remove bumpers and mirrors