Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
ZZ383
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Default Buford Pusser's AKA Walking Tall Corvette

I've been thinking about taking a jaunt over to Legendary Tennessee Sheriff Buford Pusser's hometown in McNairy County. The famous Walking Tall movies were based on his colorful life. They have his "death car" which is a 1974 Stingray on display (whats left of it). All articles I've read on the man say the car was heavily modified. Just curious if anyone knows much about his love of Corvettes or what mods he had in 74. Pusser was one of those truly larger than life figures who actually lived long enough to see his legend on the screen. While I have great respect for our current crop of troopers (even when they are mad at me), I don't think the current academy turns them out like Pusser (although I've wanted to take a bat to my vacuum headlights from time to time).
ZZ383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
69 Chevy
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Lehigh county Pennsylvania
Default

I've always wondered what happened to Savannah's crashed '93 Vette that ended her career and ultimately her life.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
69 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
TERRY CLARK
CF Senior Member
 
TERRY CLARK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: COOKEVILLE TN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ383 View Post
I've been thinking about taking a jaunt over to Legendary Tennessee Sheriff Buford Pusser's hometown in McNairy County. The famous Walking Tall movies were based on his colorful life. They have his "death car" which is a 1974 Stingray on display (whats left of it). All articles I've read on the man say the car was heavily modified. Just curious if anyone knows much about his love of Corvettes or what mods he had in 74. Pusser was one of those truly larger than life figures who actually lived long enough to see his legend on the screen. While I have great respect for our current crop of troopers (even when they are mad at me), I don't think the current academy turns them out like Pusser (although I've wanted to take a bat to my vacuum headlights from time to time).
I think that was his daughter's Corvette.
TERRY CLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Willcox Corvette
Premium Supporting Vendor
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
Willcox Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Jeffersonville Indiana 812-288-7103
https://www.facebook.com/WillcoxCorvette
Send a message via MSN to Willcox Corvette
Default

The car used to be in Pigeon Forge at the museum there... did they move it? I've seen it there a couple times but didn't notice any mods. But then it's completely destroyed so it would be hard to tell.
Willcox Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Stroh
CF Senior Member
 
Stroh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Port Huron MI
Default

Is he any relation to Sheriff Buford T. Justice?
Stroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
7T1vette
CF Senior Member
 
7T1vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Crossville TN
Default

Absolutely no relation at all.... One 'speaks softly and carries a BIG stick'; the other guy merely "tries" to be a big Pr!ck.
7T1vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
commander_47
CF Senior Member
 
commander_47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: McDonough Georgia
Default

From what I understand, Pusser's Corvette was actually purchased by him with the royalties he received from the first movie. It was ordered specifically with engine upgrades as I recall. To make it go fffffffffast.

There's not much left of the original car:

http://www.bufordpussermuseum.com/photos.html

There is tons of stuff on the web about Buford.

http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/BUFFORD-PUSSER.html
commander_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Redwing01
CF Senior Member
 
Redwing01's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: Belle River Ontario
Default

Why dont I remember a Vette in the movie?
Did they even have one? Wow ... It's been a long time
Redwing01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
MakoShark72
CF Senior Member
 
MakoShark72's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Gig Harbor WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing01 View Post
Why dont I remember a Vette in the movie?
Did they even have one? Wow ... It's been a long time
The Vette in discussion was his personal car, that he crashed and was killed in. Had a BAC of 0.18, or so I read...

I don't recall there being a Vette in the movies either...

Last edited by MakoShark72; 04-24-2012 at 10:24 PM.
MakoShark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Jclgodale3
CF Senior Member
 
Jclgodale3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: North Alabama
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoShark72 View Post
The Vette in discussion was his personal car, that he crashed and was killed in. Had a BAC of 0.18, or so I read...

I don't recall there being a Vette in the movies either...
Yeah, there was a Vette in one of the sequels when he wrecked it. They wanted you to believe someone messed with his vette before the wreck. (in the movie)
Jclgodale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Shark Racer
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Shark Racer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: San Jose CA
Send a message via ICQ to Shark Racer Send a message via AIM to Shark Racer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Chevy View Post
I've always wondered what happened to Savannah's crashed '93 Vette that ended her career and ultimately her life.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
That's an 80's vette in that pic, not a 93...
Shark Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
69 Chevy
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Lehigh county Pennsylvania
Default

I wouldn't know one year from another. I took the articles word for it. However a CF member says it was an '86.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...wn-vettes.html Post #4.
69 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page Buford Pusser's AKA Walking Tall Corvette
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
buford, car, corvette, county, forum, have, kind, location, mcnairy, pusser, screen, sheriff, tall, tennessee, test, walking, wrecked


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Emails & Password Backup