Sponsored by:

Camaro Seat Belt Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Camaro Seat Belt Install

In the process of changing my 72 saddle interior to black, I swapped my original saddle seats for black leather C5 seats.

My saddle seat belts had to go, and the C5 seats have no slot for the belts, so I opted to modify and install Gen 4 Camaro/Firebird belts.

Found numerous ebay listings for the belts, and I purchased a full set of belts from a late 90's Camaro for around $40. You can get just the rears, but I purchased the full set to use a couple of the front parts..They are a dark gray (which I re-dyed to black), but I have read the Firebird belts come in black.

The large triangular piece mounts to the B pillar or the seat, I don't know which, but I removed and tossed them, by cutting a slit thru the loop and sliding the belt out..They are made of very hard plastic. I used a sawzall.. I also removed the little slotted rectangular trim pieces, you won't reuse them..

Next I had to remove the plastic buckle trim, in order to clean up and polish the chrome buckles... I broke the corners off each one, so I am not sure of the trick to remove them, someone will chime in...I glued the pieces back..

That left the two naked buckles, and to remove the belting, the center "bar" must be pried out...To do this I used two vice grips and gasped each of the raised wings with the slots and pried them outwards, until the cross bar would come out...

I then lightly dyed the belts with black interior dye. Most guys say to use RIT dye, I was going to, but decided to try it with the spray dye. I only very lightly misted it..

I decided to remove the Camaro retractor housings, and use the Corvette ones..The housings are pop riveted to the retractors, and you must simply drill out the rivets then pull the entire belt through the rear of the plastic housing...

NOTE...the buckles will not fit through the opening in the housing, hence they need to be removed..

ANOTHER NOTE!!!...If you want to use the Camaro housings (instead of modifying your Vette housings), AND you can clean up your chrome buckles sufficiently without removing the little black plastic trim caps, you can slide the buckles all the way to the end of the belt, dye the main body of the belt (the part of it that will show), paint the plastic bits, and install the whole system..JUST LIKE THAT..If I had to do it again, that is exactly what I would do!! MUCH SIMPLER THAN WHAT I DID!!!

Here's the rivet that you drill out to remove the retractor from the housing..

The retractor has a small metal tab that faces downwards. Since the retractor must mount flat on the wheel well behind the seat, you must remove the tab...dremel cut off wheel works great..

The advantage of using the Camaro housings, is that the retractors are slightly larger than the Corvette ones, and dont exactly fit inside the Vette housings. I had to slightly enlarge the opening of my Corvette retractor housings to get them to fit..I used a dremel to slightly widen the housings and also to trim a small amount off the bottom of the opening..

NOTE... the retractors MUST mount horizontally for the little pendulum to lock the belts in a deceleration. On my 72 the original retractors mount horizontally on the top of the wheel well. I have read that on 68-69 models, the retractors mount on the side of the wheel well. You must fabricate a L-shaped mounting bracket to use these in the later mounted cars, so the retractor is horizontal.. I believe there is an old thread on doing this..

The end of the belt simply bolts under the seat, in the same position as our original retractors...The mount tab has a slight bend, the wrong way, so I put it in the vice and straightened it so the belt would mount flat. You only need to cut a small X in the carpet, or you could run the belt UNDER the carpet and have it emerge beside the floor mounted belt guide..

Now all thats left is to mount the receivers. For this I used the front receiver sleeves. They are extra long in the Camaro, so I just trimmed them to the length of the receiver belt..Here's the long front receiver belt and sleeve, and the short rear receiver belt...

Here's the short rear receiver belt laying on top of the long sleeve..

I cut off the bottom of the sleeve to fit the length of the belt. You must cut the bottom because the top is slightly flared to accommodate the buckle..drill a hole in the "new" sleeve for the mounting bolt..

Here's the new receiver ready to bolt into the side of the console..

Finished...

I would estimate it took me maybe 4-5 hours (painting, dying, and repairing the broken buckle trim) and around $50-$75 to do this project. Of course my interior was already out.. The belts are more comfortable than the stock Vette belts, and you only have ONE retractor to deal with! I didn't want to drill a hole into the B pillar interior trim, so I opted not to use a B pillar loop. I'm not even sure there is a place to attach it, at least in my 72 coupe, maybe on later models...?

Hope this helps!!

If anybody has any questions, email me at rdphil@comcast.net..

Last edited by MakoShark72; 05-15-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Terrific write up Rob! Thanks for all the detailed info and PIX. I purchased a complete GEN 4 set of belts from a forum member and plan this install for my 78.

You took a bunch of the guess work out for all of us!

Thanks!

John
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Wow, Rob, the interior looks great. It's a lot of work, I know.

I need to get the retractor "housing" covers to complete my interiror resto... What did you do with your old vette retractor covers? If you're looking to get rid of them, I could help you with that. Otherwise, I'll follow your lead and look for the camero cover.

Love the way it's all coming together. Nice work!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Great job. My seat belts ever break, I know where to do.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Stroh
...What did you do with your old vette retractor covers?...
I actually used the Vette covers... I chose NOT to use the Camaro ones..

Here's another picture..

These are the Camaro covers...

Thanks for the compliments!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Right on. The finished product is great. Good stuff.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome write up and pics, thank you so much! The car is looking great!

Sully
Old 04-24-2012, 03:46 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sully1882
awesome write up and pics, thank you so much! The car is looking great!

Sully
Thanks Sully, wanted to get this up before you put your seats back in!!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up.
This is going into my bookmarks for when I get this far.

Thanks!
KO
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
brady5885
Instructor

Would this work on an 82??
Old 01-15-2013, 11:36 PM
brady5885
Instructor

anyone know if they would work on a 79-82 setup???
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
wydglydrydr
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroh
I need to get the retractor "housing" covers to complete my interiror resto... What did you do with your old vette retractor covers? If you're looking to get rid of them, I could help you with that.
Sorry to OP, not trying to hijack this thread. Stroh, PM me. I believe I have a set. If I still have them, one side has some chips. I'll send you pix and you can decide.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM
brady5885
Instructor

Originally Posted by brady5885
anyone know if they would work on a 79-82 setup???
Anyone? or know of other alternatives?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the write up and the photos. I have a set of these in my garage waiting to put them in my 73 when I redo the interior. I have your posting saved to use for reference. thanks.

kdf
Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

excellent job and excellent result - wish I'd have thought of that when I started mine (it's got harnesses now).

question - as you took the buckles off, why didn't you put the Corvette buckles back on the belts thus retaining the Corvette latch mechanism?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '13,'15,'17,'18,'22-'23

Thanks for reposting the pics Rob, VERY MUCH appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro Seat Belt Install

Quick Reply: Camaro Seat Belt Install