Sponsored by:

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
bruisedknuckles
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain

My battery keeps draining out. Can't be the alternator as it drains out just sitting in my garage. Initially thought it might be a light that did not turn off, but there is nothing (at least visual) that points to where the leak might be. Any idea's on how to start trouble shooting this would be super helpful.

It started about 2 weeks ago, no work done on the car at all of late.

-D
Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 PM
PA14JIM
Advanced

I had same problem. My interior lights would not time out so I removed the bulbs. It still drained the battery. Put the volt meter between the batteries pos terminal and the battery cable and it showed a draw of current, my courtsey light timer is located in the wiring bundle between the tach and speedo so I pulled the courtsey light fuse and installed a battery disconnect switch.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
den(thevetteman)78
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a problem like that and it was my headlight switch. It was draining my battery if the **** was all the way up. I had to turn the light in the instrument cluster off to avoid a dead battery the next day. Visualy no light was on but the current was leaking just enough to drain the battery.

Last edited by den(thevetteman)78; 04-27-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

what year?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Knuckles, do you have a multimeter? If so, set the meter to read "current", put leads into appropriate holes on meter. Disconnect negative battery lead and place the meter between the negative battery terminal and the negative battery lead. With the meter turned on you will probably see a reading that shows a current draw (a 12v light bulb in place of the meter would also work - light on current/light off no current). Now the fun part.....start to pull a fuse, then shut the door and see if your meter reading goes to zero. If not, try another fuse. This process of elimination will eventually get you to the circuit that the drain is on......making it easier to isolate and troubleshoot.

Hope this helps

Brian
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
Knuckles, do you have a multimeter? If so, set the meter to read "current", put leads into appropriate holes on meter. Disconnect negative battery lead and place the meter between the negative battery terminal and the negative battery lead. With the meter turned on you will probably see a reading that shows a current draw (a 12v light bulb in place of the meter would also work - light on current/light off no current). Now the fun part.....start to pull a fuse, then shut the door and see if your meter reading goes to zero. If not, try another fuse. This process of elimination will eventually get you to the circuit that the drain is on......making it easier to isolate and troubleshoot.

Hope this helps

Brian
But make sure you close the door so the courtesy lights aren't causing the draw. The other thing that wasn't mentioned is that your battery could be going bad. I would have it tested.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Jedi926
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird, I may be experiencing the same problem. I just got my car out of winter storage and the day I picked it up, it fired right up no problems. I went to drive it a few days later and ZERO. The battery is only a year old so I jumped it and the car fired right up. Now, it's at the shop and the mechanic keeps telling me the samething, he charges the battery and it starts right up, but if it sits, nothing.

I will pass this info along to him. Thanks guys.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:10 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Very common problem with Corvettes...I took the lazy way out and just put in a battery disconnect..
Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Very common problem with Corvettes...I took the lazy way out and just put in a battery disconnect..
Also a wise decision.....what's that they say about an ounce of prevention........
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi926
Weird, I may be experiencing the same problem. I just got my car out of winter storage and the day I picked it up, it fired right up no problems. I went to drive it a few days later and ZERO. The battery is only a year old so I jumped it and the car fired right up. Now, it's at the shop and the mechanic keeps telling me the samething, he charges the battery and it starts right up, but if it sits, nothing.

I will pass this info along to him. Thanks guys.
The easy way to check that is to charge the battery while it is disconnected and let it sit a few days then connect it and try to start the car. If the car starts, the car is draining the battery.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Jedi926
Racer

Thought I was already to go, thought I had the "dead" battery issue solved. NOPE! Now going through the process of checking each fuse etc trying to find where the draw is coming from. I love my car, I love my car, I love my car.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bruisedknuckles
My battery keeps draining out. Can't be the alternator as it drains out just sitting in my garage.
Sorry, but you can't rule the alternator out like that. An alternator produces AC current that must be rectified to DC for your car's electrical system. To do this, every alternator has a bridge rectifier made up of a number of diodes, which are one-way electrical valves. If one of those diodes goes bad, and they do, electricity can leak in the wrong direction...and drain your battery.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Knuckles hasn't been back since first post....
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Maybe he sold it!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Maybe it burned down.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM
markbett
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The clock will drain the battery especially over a winter storage period. Get a trickle charger.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Jedi926
Racer

I think I found the problem, looks like the electric choke may be the culprit.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery drain

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Darrel1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a battery drain last year. Turned out to be my starter- charge battery and was fine- let it sit over night and nothing- hook a jump starter to the vehicle and it would fire right up. One of my indicators also was that my vehicle after driving on a hot day- let it sit for 20mins and the vehicle would not start- the starter would not even turn over- hook jumper cables to it and bam0- starts right up. Replaced the starter and all is well
Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 PM
bruisedknuckles
Advanced

71Vette - Got super busy at work and did not get a chance to update , I did not sell it and it did not burn down - although I have had a fire in the past!!

Not a battery drain problem , I think this is a starter problem. The battery has a full charge, its a brand new optima. I can hear a click when I turn the ignition key. Ocassionally it would start up and then just stop working. Now its down for good!

Going to replace the starter next week and will update then.

-D
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Bad starter solenoid.

Quick Reply: Battery drain