Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
hicswa
CF Senior Member

Default Number 3 body mount?

Is there any trick or special tools to remove it?

Thanks,
Danny
hicswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
champs65
CF Senior Member

Not really. Just hope that the cage nut doesn't start to spin on you.

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?
champs65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
hicswa
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champs65 View Post

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?
Thanks. Do you think a burr on a die grinder will fit in there if the bolt needs to be cut?
hicswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
I'm Batman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to I'm Batman Send a message via Yahoo to I'm Batman

If something goes wrong with the cage nut, you can get to it from the inside of the frame if you get the car up in the air.
I'm Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
champs65
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicswa View Post
Thanks. Do you think a burr on a die grinder will fit in there if the bolt needs to be cut?
I have a small die grinder and it wouldn't work there. Dremel on steroids would work if you could keep a cutoff wheel from disintegrating.
champs65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
my 76 ray
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champs65 View Post

Air ratchet is how I did mine. It worked great. I'll add one tip. If it starts to slow down, it's probably due to rust in the threads. Run the bolt back in to clear the threads then try to loosen it again. That tip actually works even if you're using a manual ratchet. It will keep a bolt from seizing.
my 76 ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
themetalman03886
CF Senior Member

jimbo03886
Send a message via AIM to themetalman03886 Send a message via Yahoo to themetalman03886

Quote:
Originally Posted by my 76 ray View Post
Air ratchet is how I did mine. It worked great. I'll add one tip. If it starts to slow down, it's probably due to rust in the threads. Run the bolt back in to clear the threads then try to loosen it again. That tip actually works even if you're using a manual ratchet. It will keep a bolt from seizing.
This is exactly what I did as well, my 3/8 air ratchet worked perfect, obviously the 1/4 air ratchet was a bit weak to do the job.
themetalman03886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page Number 3 body mount?

Tags
body, c3, corvette, mount, number