Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Number 3 body mount?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Number 3 body mount?

Is there any trick or special tools to remove it?

Thanks,
Danny
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Not really. Just hope that the cage nut doesn't start to spin on you.

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by champs65

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?
Thanks. Do you think a burr on a die grinder will fit in there if the bolt needs to be cut?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

If something goes wrong with the cage nut, you can get to it from the inside of the frame if you get the car up in the air.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by hicswa
Thanks. Do you think a burr on a die grinder will fit in there if the bolt needs to be cut?
I have a small die grinder and it wouldn't work there. Dremel on steroids would work if you could keep a cutoff wheel from disintegrating.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by champs65

Air ratchet is how I did mine. It worked great. I'll add one tip. If it starts to slow down, it's probably due to rust in the threads. Run the bolt back in to clear the threads then try to loosen it again. That tip actually works even if you're using a manual ratchet. It will keep a bolt from seizing.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 AM
themetalman03886
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
Air ratchet is how I did mine. It worked great. I'll add one tip. If it starts to slow down, it's probably due to rust in the threads. Run the bolt back in to clear the threads then try to loosen it again. That tip actually works even if you're using a manual ratchet. It will keep a bolt from seizing.
This is exactly what I did as well, my 3/8 air ratchet worked perfect, obviously the 1/4 air ratchet was a bit weak to do the job.

Get notified of new replies

To Number 3 body mount?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Number 3 body mount?