Number 3 body mount? - Corvette Forum

Go Back   >
Log In 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Number 3 body mount?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
hicswa
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hicswa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Carlstadt NJ
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Number 3 body mount?

Is there any trick or special tools to remove it?

Thanks,
Danny
hicswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
champs65
CF Senior Member
 
champs65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Finger Lakes NY
Posts: 6,744
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Not really. Just hope that the cage nut doesn't start to spin on you.

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?
champs65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
hicswa
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hicswa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Carlstadt NJ
Posts: 466
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champs65 View Post
Not really. Just hope that the cage nut doesn't start to spin on you.

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?
Thanks. Do you think a burr on a die grinder will fit in there if the bolt needs to be cut?
hicswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
I'm Batman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07
Support Corvetteforum!
 
I'm Batman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 23,833
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If something goes wrong with the cage nut, you can get to it from the inside of the frame if you get the car up in the air.
I'm Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
champs65
CF Senior Member
 
champs65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Finger Lakes NY
Posts: 6,744
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicswa View Post
Thanks. Do you think a burr on a die grinder will fit in there if the bolt needs to be cut?
I have a small die grinder and it wouldn't work there. Dremel on steroids would work if you could keep a cutoff wheel from disintegrating.
champs65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
my 76 ray
CF Senior Member
 
my 76 ray's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Hinckley OH
Posts: 2,511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champs65 View Post
Not really. Just hope that the cage nut doesn't start to spin on you.

I used a good quality 3/8 drive ratchet (one that has fine gearing) and held the socket still with a couple of fingers. I could only get like 1/8th of a turn at a time, but it came out. The other one spun, and it was a major PITA. I was afraid to use fire back in there, so I drilled multiple small holes in the bolt head until an air chisel broke the head off. Tight quarters for that!

Wonder if an air ratchet would fit in there after the bolt was broken loose, instead of using a conventional ratchet?
Air ratchet is how I did mine. It worked great. I'll add one tip. If it starts to slow down, it's probably due to rust in the threads. Run the bolt back in to clear the threads then try to loosen it again. That tip actually works even if you're using a manual ratchet. It will keep a bolt from seizing.
my 76 ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
themetalman03886
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Sneads Ferry NC
Posts: 200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my 76 ray View Post
Air ratchet is how I did mine. It worked great. I'll add one tip. If it starts to slow down, it's probably due to rust in the threads. Run the bolt back in to clear the threads then try to loosen it again. That tip actually works even if you're using a manual ratchet. It will keep a bolt from seizing.
This is exactly what I did as well, my 3/8 air ratchet worked perfect, obviously the 1/4 air ratchet was a bit weak to do the job.
themetalman03886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Corvette Forum >
Reload this Page
  • Number 3 body mount?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    New member - Central Florida danny0265 Intros 9 08-11-2015 10:54 PM
    Body Drop on a 1975 hicswa C3 General 2 07-30-2015 05:10 PM
    Lighting question Danny.reamer C3 General 7 03-05-2015 11:12 PM
    Protecting bare steel hicswa C3 General 11 12-03-2014 01:43 AM
    **anyone have c6 parking valet *** PY310L C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 0 07-13-2014 12:14 PM


    Tags
    body, c3, corvette, mount, number

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.