Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the Story behind your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:22 AM
VETTEWITHLEGS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2nd c3 is a 1972 with local history. 1972 bbc 4 speed w 87000 miles in 1983, 91000miles now not started since 2010.
Attached Images       
Old 07-10-2014, 04:02 PM
upnsmoke67
Intermediate

I want to add mine after reading all these wonderful stories! So, here goes-->
I bought my house back in 2008 and it has a huge 2 1/2 car garage. I'm a drummer so my kit takes up the back half of one side, and I have a complete PA setup, speakers, monitors, mics and stands etc. We have been known to have full blown jam sessions at parties! Pretty cool... but the other half is wide open.... just begging for a roommate!

Anytime my mom would come over the house, I would ask her "mom, you know what that garage is missing?" Mom would reply "what Bill, what is that garage missing?" "A nice classic Corvette" I would reply. "If that's what you want, then you should get one!", she would tell me. Of course, I didn't have the money just lying around so... I would dream and hope that one day it would happen.

Fast forward to July of 2013. Mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor. They did surgery and tried radiation but unfortunately, mom succumbed to her illness on November 11th of that same year.

She was widowed and my sister and I had to sell her house, divide her things, split her finances etc. I decided - with every stitch of bad, there has to be some good, right? I will use a portion of my inheritance and buy my very first Corvette!

I looked for about 6 months and all I found was overpriced or not what I wanted (4 speed, convertible, blue). In April of 2014 I found her. A beautiful, numbers matching 1969 4 speed Roadster. A survivor car. She would later become known as "CC Blue", and become part of the family!

Every time I drive that car, look at that car, look at even a PICTURE of that car... I see my mom. I know she's happy I finally got to fulfill my dream...
Old 07-10-2014, 06:29 PM
JagNorb
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by upnsmoke67
I want to add mine after reading all these wonderful stories! So, here goes-->
I bought my house back in 2008 and it has a huge 2 1/2 car garage. I'm a drummer so my kit takes up the back half of one side, and I have a complete PA setup, speakers, monitors, mics and stands etc. We have been known to have full blown jam sessions at parties! Pretty cool... but the other half is wide open.... just begging for a roommate!

Anytime my mom would come over the house, I would ask her "mom, you know what that garage is missing?" Mom would reply "what Bill, what is that garage missing?" "A nice classic Corvette" I would reply. "If that's what you want, then you should get one!", she would tell me. Of course, I didn't have the money just lying around so... I would dream and hope that one day it would happen.

Fast forward to July of 2013. Mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor. They did surgery and tried radiation but unfortunately, mom succumbed to her illness on November 11th of that same year.

She was widowed and my sister and I had to sell her house, divide her things, split her finances etc. I decided - with every stitch of bad, there has to be some good, right? I will use a portion of my inheritance and buy my very first Corvette!

I looked for about 6 months and all I found was overpriced or not what I wanted (4 speed, convertible, blue). In April of 2014 I found her. A beautiful, numbers matching 1969 4 speed Roadster. A survivor car. She would later become known as "CC Blue", and become part of the family!

Every time I drive that car, look at that car, look at even a PICTURE of that car... I see my mom. I know she's happy I finally got to fulfill my dream...
Great story! You made your Mom proud and yourself happy!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:01 AM
71gary
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it was late 50s or early 60s with color tv bonanza the vet adds and route 66. 68 looked into a new 68 at 5650. wife was pg bought 69 442 80s kids were older did not want to ride with mom & dad. so got a 72 vet loved it 98 or 99 went to church and would not start put in shed. wanted to start working on it this year, started to put a parts list together found one in ga this spring got it home had started to check it over, fell broke right foot have 3 weeks #days when I can shift again.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Steel_Venom
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wonderful stories in this thread! Here's my story:

I've wanted a C3 since I was ~12 (This was 2003). I first remember seeing a split-window Sting Ray at a Charlotte Motor Speedway show when I was 12. As we perused the show, I quickly realized the 68-69 convertible C3s were my favorite. Once I turned 18, I probably tried purchasing a C3 or two every year- all to no avail.

Last year my wife & I were on a business trip in Council Bluffs Iowa and a local restaurant was having a cruise in. They also happened to have a C3 mounted on the wall. We started chatting about how it'd be cool to take a totally rusted out C3 and use the body to make a bed for a new baby. So we began looking for one...
As we looked, it went from finding a junked out one, to finding a project for me.

That's when we found my '79. It was cosmetically in really bad shape, but it has NO rust and the engine & trans worked great. So for Fathers day of 2013, my wonderful wife helped me get this '79 for a paltry sum of $3800.

I don't think there could be a better project car out there. So far, I've not had any major problems or parts replacements; the most expensive part I've needed were new brake calipers & pads. Which also happened to be the best thing I've done to it yet because once the brakes were fixed I was finally able to drive it! (Although none of my gauges or lights worked at the time) I've restored most of the original interior parts and fixed several of the electrical issues.

The 78-79s are my second favorite of the C3 generation after a 68/69 'vert. I like the fastback body-style a lot! (although I did put a 80s style rear bumper on it)

Once I get EVERYTHING working properly on it, I'll have it painted and then start my big (as in big block) plans.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
slfwilrr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 10 years ago my 3rd wife said she'd have no problem with me getting a vette within a budget. Great wife, didn't define the budget. Anyway I knew I wanted a C-3 and under 10 grand so was limited to a rubber bumper car. When I found it the wife wanted to know if we could afford the insurance(because that is the first thing I always asked the boys when the purchased their first cars) andI had already priced it and it was going to be about 1/3 of what each of our other cars are, so that didn't stop me. The only other stipulation she had was that whenever the car needed major work I couldn't start on it till our 1840 Victorian home was finished being remodeled. I didn't see that as a problem either so I purchased a 76 4 speed car put some cragars on it, new intake, distributor, holley carb and C5 seats and proceeded to enjoy it for about years till it was ready to throw a rod. That meant it had to be stored for a while till I got the house done. 9 years later the house is done but I'm so close to retirement the C3 will have to wait 1 more year so I have the time to really do her up right. New engine(big block?) steeroids, new paint, etc, etc etc. The best thing is I haven't had to wait to enjoy a vette because 2 years ago when my wife retired and no longer commutes to work with me I went out and bought a beautiful 2003 C5 50th Anniversary electron blue convertible as my daily driver. It's a blast but boy do I have plans for the C3. When it's done there will be something from ALL 7 generations represented. C7 Stingray emblems where the 76 stingray script was. C6 LS3 if not a big block. C5 seats and tail lights. C4 mirrors, C2 grill and still trying to figure out something from the C1. It'll be fun

Last edited by slfwilrr; 07-29-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 PM
smoovette
Cruising

The story of my C3 Corvette...short and to the point in order to keep those no longer here still alive and living even if only through a story.....

Previous owner Bradley Crose ...(please read the link)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=10532498

....a true hero, friend and brother. We became friends at 1st Ranger Battalion in Savannah, GA. In late 2001 we both were deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Bradley was Killed in Action on March 4th, 2002 rescuing a Navy Seal who had fallen out of a helicopter...in an event called "Robert's Ridge" or also called the "Battle of Takur Ghar"....(please read the link below)....

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/s...roberts-ridge/

One of Bradley's dream was to restore his 81 Vette, we had planned to do it together. About two years ago Bradley's mother contacted me and asked if I would buy his car. With the help of close friends Bradley's dream continues...and will continue. The car, and dream continues on....hoping that with this story Bradley and those lost that day will continue to live on....yes even if through a story. More story of the car in the last link below.....

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...olet-corvette/

Thank you for taking the time to read the post I hope you enjoyed the story...and keeping those lost alive.
RLTW
Old 08-07-2014, 11:13 PM
bcozad
Advanced

Thirty five years ago doctors told my wife and I we could never have children of our own. So I went out and bought a new to me '73 convertible. Two beautiful daughters and 3 grandchildren later, I still have the car.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Swamppro
Advanced

Since high school I have always loved older cars. My father had a 66 And started my love for corvettes at an early age. My first car was a 79 cutlass that my father and I built a 350 rocket for. Absolutely loved it. After that car got stolen I never got another muscle car but it was always in my mind. Fast forward, now married with 4 boys. My wife said we need a boat. She does not want a fishing boat but something to play around on lake pontchartrain with the kids. She calls me at work and says she is sending me a link for a boat she loves. Turns out to be a 1997 Baja Islander with 454 in mint condition. We get the boat and the kids have no interest as they would rather fish. My wife knows it's killing me staring at the stock big block wanting to tear into this thing! 3 years go by and we had the boat on the water a total of maybe 5 times. We are out one night and a c3 pulls up and my wife loves it. Hmmmm. My wheels start turning and I start wanting one bad again. I find a guy on craigslist that has a 74 l82 and 4 speed for sale. We talk and we meet and talk for a couple hours. He bought it from 2nd owner who lives in his neighborhood. He wanted to restore it for his wife for a weekend car. Bought boxes of interior parts and what nots. His wife wanted something new so he was trying to sell it. I ended up trading my boat for it and we still talk. My 4 boys love it and beg for rides everyday. My wife is excited about going on cruise nights and dates by ourselves. This car is now part of the family. Now I just wish my dad was here to go for a ride and go through the gears and talk. His favorite car was old corvettes. Car shows, you knew where to find him. Buried him this year, lost my best friend, wrench turning buddy, and shoulder. I know he is looking down watching from his 66.

Last edited by Swamppro; 08-09-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:09 PM
scottstmaxx
Intermediate

Default finding my fathers 73

My dad passed away working on his 1973 Orange Corvette convertible. in 1977. My mom sold the car shortly after.

All this time, I have kept the original titles from the car, occasionally checking websites for its existence.

This past May, I started having real vivid dreams about the car. I could smell it, see the interior and almost felt as though I was looking down upon it.

In August, I told my wife that I needed closure on the car, something was drawing me to find it. After two weeks of searching, I decided to check www.instavin.com, to my surprise there was activity in May.

I contacted all the surrounding clubs to see if someone they knew bought it.

I decided to pay the secretary of state the $8/transaction in order to find out what the history was.

I contacted the gentleman who was last listed on the title, explaining who I was (with the vin #) and provided all necessary information on to the relevance of this car.

The gentleman who bought the car in May had just bought the car from the gentleman who bought it from my mom!!

He had just bought it in May with thoughts of restoring it. I asked if I could come see it. Finally after 37 years, I would have closure!!!

The day came, I drove out to his home, and sitting there just like I remembered it was my dads car. It hadn't changed at all. It was all original.

We talked about all the interesting aspects of the car. I explained how happy I was to see that it would be at a good home. I told him that after he was done restoring the car, if he ever thought of selling it to please let me know. To my surprise he told me to make him an offer. I told him I didn't want to offend him, but I thought $10,000 would be far. He looked at me and said where did you get that number. He said that he had paid that exact amount and that this was my daddys car.

I am now the proud owner of his car! I found the picture of when we brought it home, and will now take an updated picture.

I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason, it had to be my dad trying to tell me someone had bought his car.

Since August, I go to bed with a smile and wake up with a smile. Its everything I remember and more!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

My father purchased my 1976 Corvette Stingray brand new in 1976 as a wedding present for my mother. The Corvette sat in our garage with 11,000 original miles until around the year 2000 when my older sister graduated from the University of Pittsburgh. My father wanted to get her a car as a graduation present and decided that the Corvette would need to be sold to accomplish this. At the time I had just taken out a loan and purchased a 1996 Grand AM GT for $10,000, was 17 and knew next to nothing about cars or motors. My friend Ryan was the "gearhead" that was into building motors and was the one that convinced me that I should trade the Grand AM for the Corvette. I proposed the idea to my father and right away I could see he wasn't too keen on the idea. He said "Shane I know you don't want to see it go but it isn't a practical car, it's old, doesn't get good gas mileage, has 2 seats and can't be driven in the winter." Finally after weeks of begging I finally wore him down and he gave in. The deal being I would keep up the payments on the Grand Am and give it to my sister and I got the Corvette. I can remember sneaking into the garage around the age of 8-10 years old with my friends and climbing into the Corvette and pretending to drive. There are even pictures of my mom setting me on the hood of the Corvette as a baby. I also got to drive a Corvette to high school. The Grand AM went to the crusher long ago, but I still have the Corvette.

My father passed away this year on January 14th after a long battle with MS at the age of 60. I know people probably think I am full of it, and if my father were still alive he would laugh at me and tell me to "take the money and run" but there is no amount of money that would get me to sell this car. It is a bit foolish but I am guilty of being a bit too sentimental, the car is part of the family and while countless girls have come and gone from my life...she is the one that stayed

Last edited by bence13_33; 09-29-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Ricky-Bobby
Heel & Toe

Our favorite car guy Uncle Bob bought this 1982 CE on a whim to help out a friend like so many of his purchases. He rarely sold anything and we had 24 vehicles to deal with from 1,200 miles away when he passed last January at age 75. There was quite the variety of vehicles, from a Ford Model T and Shay Model A replica to (3) '70's Pinto that were sinking into the soil.

The Corvette can be seen and purchased here - the best and last of the estate vehicles:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-survivor.html

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:29 PM
313hitman
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a 79 L82 vette that i built with my Father with a 468 BBC and sold it to take care of wife and new baby.3 years later(present), while deployed i i picked up another 79 but with a 355 SBC. I'm still overseas but i will be home in 4 months to see the new gal for the first time.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:35 PM
spuckie
Heel & Toe

Default My new C3.

Back up to December 7, 2010. I drove a 2002 Electron Blue Metallic beauty off a dealer's lot, just 4 months shy of my 40th birthday.

Three or four days later, it snowed for about a week. I was still happy.

February 22, 2013, I traded it in and drove a 2008 Jetstream Blue Metallic one off a lot. Again, I think it snowed days after. Didn't matter...I was still grinning.

At the end of September, I took part in a Vettes to Vets ride, where I was one of 537 Corvettes to drive from Bedford, MA to a Veteran's hospital in Billerica, MA. The entry was to bring supplies that the vets could use.

Sure, there were C7s there, but it was the old cars that drew the most attention.

I had to buy an older one.

Well, I don't have the six figures to buy a C1 or C2. Can't spend the 20-25K on a early model, big block C3, without trading in my '08.

What I could do was meet a man who has owned a 1977 Dark Blue sweet, sweet ride since 1986, with just 80,000 miles, and take it off his hands. The feeling of being in it, listening to the growl of the engine, and driving in a true muscle car is much, much different than my C6.

So, as of tonight, October 21, 2014, I am the proud, proud member of the C3 club. For the first time, I can actually see myself selling my 2008 now...something I would have thought unheard of, unless I was trading up to a C7.

I'm expecting snow soon. I won't care. I am deliriously happy.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 PM
bubusmc
1st Gear

Default 74 Stingray

Originally Posted by 76_Stingray
Just wondering how you got your Corvette and what was the best thing that has happened with your C3 since?

ALSO if you would like to, read Corvette Stories from the Backbone of America. (Im not allowed to provide the webist, but you can find it). I got this book when i aquired my corvette last year! The Author, Tommy Mallory, is a good friend of my uncles and gave my Grandparents a signed copy, and on my birthday my grandparents then signed it over to me. Needless to say i am obsessed with the book and ive read it so many times ive became bored with the stories so I posted this to read more! EMAIL TOMMY MALLORY YOUR STORY TO GET IN THE NEXT EDITION!

I got this from a lady and her man. He was texting not to sell it while she was tellin me it was gonna pay off fines at court. Pretty cliché with the neck tatt and the oreilys tach the size of a dinner plate fastened to the column. The interior is gutted and the car is primer gray. It runs but the wire splicing the genius did for the crappy gauges did a number on the wiring harness. Still, she's beautiful and a bucket list car I've always dreamed of.

However, at 6'4 and just under 300 pounds, I wonder if there are other plus sized vette lovers like myself. I can get in it, sure. Still, it's like a chick tryin to get into that pair of jeans from the old days. Any thoughts?!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:35 AM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been a C3 corvette lover since my teenage years. I love their sexy curvy body lines! Pictures of the '80 model got me through college, telling myself when I get a job I would buy myself that car. That's exactly what I did... bought it in ~1990 with only 25k miles on it. Enjoyed driving it for a several years and then we were starting a family and I thought I had outgrown it, so I sold it. But for two decades whenever I would see a C3 on the road, I would get that itch to do it all again. Fast forward to last year, and that itch was too much to bear and purchased the '72 below.

I've always wanted to restore a classic sports car and that is what I had in mind going into this one. I've had a blast with my new hobby with much help from this forum! The whole process is being documented in my blog if you're interested in reading more...

Old 10-30-2014, 04:21 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

Always love Corvettes, had every thing else growing up. Sold all of the my cars when I got married back in 84 to buy a house, why not cars will always be around. Life went on and no car in the garage. My mom passed about 9 years ago and left 3 envelopes, one for me and my 2 older sisters. In side was a note that read use this money to buy some thing for yourself, not your house, kids, wife, husband or bills so i looked for about 6 months and finally found one. when i went to get the plates I wanted something special, my wife and i thought and thought then my my said I know hence the plates

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the Story behind your C3?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:10 PM
duece coupe
6th Gear

When i graduated high school in 1972 I vowed I would own a 72 vette, I bought one and drove it for years . I made the mistake and made it to nice to drive , only doing shows and events with it. I sold it as the kids came and I needed the money for other things. I always miss the good times with my 72 before i made it a trailer queen. After the kids left home I found another 72 that a man had started to restore but came down with cancer and sold to a co worker who promised to finish. after 20 years in the garage the vette was once again almost ready for the road. I bought it and finished it up to driver status which I now enjoy and take to cruises all the time . looks great at 10 feet, perfert for what i want to do with it. I wont make it a trailer queen.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 AM
C74VETTE
2nd Gear

How I ended up with my 74 Corvette StingRay:

My Dad bought this car from a friend who just had the car sitting in a field collectig dust etc.
This was his dream car.To own a "Vette" as he always called it. He was slowly working on restoring the car and fixing the problems in his spare time. He did get to enjoy the car on a few joyrides before he passed away in May 2013 at the age of 49. After he passed his car sat in the garage untouched until I spoke with my husband about possibly shipping the car from my hometown (Buffalo, NY) down to where I now live in Houston, TX. He loved that car so much , I couldnt stand that it would just sit there and not get what it deserved. The Car arrived this past Sunday 11/2/14 and I couldnt have been happier to see it pull up on the trailor. The car wouldnt start but a new battery quickly fixed that issue. My husband handed me the keys last night and said "start her up!" It only took two tries and then Vroom....Vroom, That sound! let me tell you there is nothing like it!
We have two little boys under the age of 5 so this will def be a difficult project to tackle, but with time and some hard work I will be able to cruise down the street with him by my side (in spirit)

RIP My Dad, My bestfriend.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Ronnie71
3rd Gear

Default The Unexpected Corvette

I just turned 65 and retired in March this year. I was a little worried about how to occupy my time during the long Winters in Northwestern PA. My wife and I have been avid houseboaters for years. This year we decided to get a little bigger used houseboat and we had to sell the old one. The day after we hung the For Sale sign on it a couple approached me, looked over the boat and offered an even-up trade for their 71 Coupe. The cars body looked good, was free of significant rust and in running condition with the usual 40+ year old Vette problems and in need of some TLC. When I got home that evening I thought I would give my wife a chuckle and told her about the offer. She looked me square in the eye and said "when in our lives would we ever have the chance to cruise around in a Vette!" After someone picked me up from the floor I did some internet research, talked to some knowledgeable folks, crunched the numbers and realized this deal had potential. In my younger days I used to do most all of my own auto repairs but jobs, family and the increasing complexity of more modern automobiles pretty much ended that! I began to see this as an opportunity to reconnect with that part of my past life, one that I enjoyed. I have the tools, some space and time, so Why Not!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ronnie71; 11-05-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats the Story behind your C3?