Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the Story behind your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:27 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow, great story, Cody! Have you taken him for a drive in it?

Later,

Lee
Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Great looking car Cody. I'm surprised you weren't thrilled by it right away.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 PM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KYC4
Wow, great story, Cody! Have you taken him for a drive in it?

Later,

Lee
Him who?

My dad pasted away.
Chad the previous owner? he had it for 3 years
My son whom I avoided mentioning? I pray he doesn't sneak my vette out like I did my dad. LOL
Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 PM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Priya
Great looking car Cody. I'm surprised you weren't thrilled by it right away.
the only reason i wasn't thrilled right away was because i was hoping for 400+ HP and something even older. I soon realized I was going to have a hard time finding something like that in my $10,000 price range that didn't need $20,000 put in it.

now that I've done some research, I'm very thrilled.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:55 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

My bad...'him' being your wife's boss. Has he seen it since you got it running and driving again? Just curious. That's quite an amazing blessing to be gifted a 'vette. That's how my boy and I got our '76.

Happy for you,

Lee
Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Oddly enough, my first C3 belong to my now wife and her ex. when they seperated he of course the car. I guess it's 8 years since their divorce, they get along (to the point when I travel and visit Harley store, I get a shirt for him). So, she got a call from him and shared that he is in a financial trouble. She asked me if I can work on a Corvette, this is after I decided to sell my collection of BMW and Porsche to focus on getting me a muscle to work on (67 GTO).

After that she shared with me she really wanted to keep the car for herself during their divorce process since she paid for it. So bitter sweet, got the cash and drove to his house the following weekend with a tow truck in tow and brought the car home.

Of course I took her question as challenge, this car sat for 8 years in a barn. So I told her YES, after all it just a car. Thinking if I can keep my Bimmers and Porsche on the road I should be able bring this back to like.

That was 5 years ago, it is now my pride and joy to work on. I almost sold it when I got the C7, but decided to keep it and finish what I started. Aside from needing a paint job, this car now runs as it should...

The best part about this, since I've own this car I learned a lot them and got pretty good at applying what I was able to do to my Bimmers and Porsche, to the point of working on club members C3. Actually corvettes in general...

Oh yeah, I should share that everytime we are cruising with our 72 LT1, there's this look of satisfaction on my wifes face...
Old 05-01-2015, 10:05 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
Oddly enough, my first C3 belong to my now wife and her ex. when they seperated he of course the car. I guess it's 8 years since their divorce, they get along (to the point when I travel and visit Harley store, I get a shirt for him). So, she got a call from him and shared that he is in a financial trouble. She asked me if I can work on a Corvette, this is after I decided to sell my collection of BMW and Porsche to focus on getting me a muscle to work on (67 GTO).

After that she shared with me she really wanted to keep the car for herself during their divorce process since she paid for it. So bitter sweet, got the cash and drove to his house the following weekend with a tow truck in tow and brought the car home.

Of course I took her question as challenge, this car sat for 8 years in a barn. So I told her YES, after all it just a car. Thinking if I can keep my Bimmers and Porsche on the road I should be able bring this back to like.

That was 5 years ago, it is now my pride and joy to work on. I almost sold it when I got the C7, but decided to keep it and finish what I started. Aside from needing a paint job, this car now runs as it should...

The best part about this, since I've own this car I learned a lot them and got pretty good at applying what I was able to do to my Bimmers and Porsche, to the point of working on club members C3. Actually corvettes in general...

Oh yeah, I should share that everytime we are cruising with our 72 LT1, there's this look of satisfaction on my wifes face...
Interesting story. Glad the 'vette found a home that loves it. Got a pic or two to show us?

Later,

Lee
Old 05-01-2015, 07:26 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting story. Glad the 'vette found a home that loves it. Got a pic or two to show us?

Later,

Lee
here's a few pics from a car show I entered.
Attached Images    
Old 05-02-2015, 01:13 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Wow, that's a terrific LT01! Thanks for the pics and story.

Later,

Lee
Old 05-09-2015, 11:44 AM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, my story starts with my father and continues on to this day..
My father has been in the corvette world since he was a young teenager. He's owned a c1, several mid-years, and a few c3s. Hell, my mother drove a '70 LS5 as a daily driver and she even had my car seat set up in it (try getting away with that these days!). Needless to say, I was a corvette guy from an early age. I vividly remember the last one sitting in the garage when I would go out to ride my bike, a silver anniversary addition. The lines on the car looked so cool and I badly wanted to drive it. The fact that my feet couldn't reach the pedals and that I could't really see over the dash were just a minor details. He ended up selling the car before I reached middle school. He would end up buying a '74 450 SL Benze roadster while I was in high school. I was appointed caretaker of the vehicle and thought I was pretty cool driving it because it was older and nobody else had anything "special". Albeit, great car for taking girls out on dates but it didn't do much else for me in the wow department. That car ended up getting sold shortly after graduation. College time, no car in the stable. Now to the more relevant part of the story.
My father and I run a general contracting company. He and I had started getting the itch to get a car about 3 years ago, something we could work on but didn't need much work in the drivetrain, had to be a good driver. We happened upon a '69 L46 with AC and PS. The car was a no-hit body and in great shape. He looked at me and said, "I'd buy that car". I was immediately on the phone and in minutes we were out the door to the bank to get the money wired before the close of business day. The following Sunday we were with trailer on the road to Indiana, PA to pick the car up.
Fast forward to today, the car now has factory style sides, new leather seats, a refurbished console and runs as great as she sounds. We go to local VA shows ranging from the Fairfax area to Culpeper. We get looks from adults and children alike and enjoy talking to people about her just as much as we enjoy staring at her in the garage over a cold one, or two… We share seat time and my son has now developed an "itch". It's only a matter of time. Needless to say, we've been keeping a close eye on the market for a c2. Only a matter of time before there's another in the stable.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:58 PM
dontreadonme
Intermediate

Original CL Add Pic

Picked up my new (to me) '81 after an exhaustive search of about a year. Looked all over the country for an example that 'spoke to me' if you will... Finally found her recently. Original owner older gentleman who was VERY passionate about his baby... Great man though. Exchanged some old armed service stories to break the ice. He did a great job as caretaker of my car until I could find her. Thank you, sir! You know who you are!!

Edit: Original Craigslist Pic shown here. Just knew she was mine!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Well, I bought my '74 coupe in July, 1997. Spent $17-20,000 on it. Lost interest in the car in 2005. Still own it. Needs new tires as the ones on it have 4000 miles and were purchased Sept, 1999.

This is the first post I've put up on the forum in ~9 years or so!

Seeking motivation to finish this car (fuel injection... a/c.... interior, etc)!!

I do drive it occasionally and get quite a number of looks as I don't see many C3s anymore...

-Bob
Attached Images    

Last edited by Bob Turner; 05-14-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 05-15-2015, 01:30 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Turner
Well, I bought my '74 coupe in July, 1997. Spent $17-20,000 on it. Lost interest in the car in 2005. Still own it. Needs new tires as the ones on it have 4000 miles and were purchased Sept, 1999.

This is the first post I've put up on the forum in ~9 years or so!

Seeking motivation to finish this car (fuel injection... a/c.... interior, etc)!!

I do drive it occasionally and get quite a number of looks as I don't see many C3s anymore...

-Bob
Nice '74, Bob! I hope the passion comes back for you on this C3. Very nice and cool that you have had her and taken care of her for nearly 20 years, sir.

Later,

Lee
Old 05-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Nice '74, Bob! I hope the passion comes back for you on this C3. Very nice and cool that you have had her and taken care of her for nearly 20 years, sir.

Later,

Lee
Thank you Lee! Nice '88. That's the Doug Nash 4 + 3! Do you own that '76 as well? I think if I come up with a plan, I can get this car back up and FINISHED!!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:10 PM
BigeNOBO
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

I joined Corvette Forum today! So I dont have too much of a story...yet.

I grew up a military brat with my dad a career USAF enlisted (retired E-8). Over the years, he would win others cars in poker games...his trick was not that he was a good player...he just didnt drink during the games! He had a '63 Nova, 72 Eldo, 68 Ranchero and 70 Maverick (we conveniently forget the baby blue 1980 Pinto station wagon). Needless to say, I got the car bug from him. We had the intention to rebuild a car together for my first ride -- and had picked out a 1974 Pontiac Grand Prix. Unfortunately he passed away of a heart attach when I was 15 so that was never realized.

I had a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I bought with the intention of it being my oldest son's first drive. After four years of fun and lifting and other Jeep modifications, it was time for my son to get his license...he failed the driver test twice in the Jeep. He admitted that it was too hard to see out of (he's on the smaller size). After looking at new Scions, Hyundais, Toyota's etc he surprised me by telling me he would prefer a classic mustang. Surprised and shocked, i quickly put the Jeep up for sale (never thought I would) and found him a pretty restored 1966 coupe. It pained me that there was little work to do because I had wanted to work on it together...he on the other hand was gratetful and he's only into driving them, not fixing them.

My younger son is 14 and has happily helped me every time on the Jeep.

So after a Saturday of he and I working on the Mustang (we put in some interior pieces, fixed the window regulators and a new billet grill) I was stoked at how much fun it was to work on old cars.

Later in the evening, after lets say a bottle of wine (maybe more..) I went on to ebay. Saw a 1968 convertible near the end of auction at a ridiculous low price and raised that by $100. Went to bed thinking I had no chance. The next day I was shocked when I won. Two weeks later and lot of worrying and apprehension over what I bought the car arrived. It was better than I ever thought...no rust, original a/c, matching numbers, 350/327, original interior. Looks like its had some body damage and the last paint job was poor.

But the plan is to do a frame off restore. I will try to keep it as original as possible but want to make it road safe...because this will be the car my son and I build for him.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2015, 05:43 PM
fYRE542
Intermediate

Default Had this car since April 1973

This 69 Big Block was my 2nd car I bought when I was 18.
My parents did not approve of me buying it so I had to save up the money and pay cash for it. I was dead broke and the only way I could drive it was to charge my friends 2 bucks a piece for rides. The reason my parents were against having a Corvette was because my older brother almost killed himself in a 67 tri-power big block coupe. Well I babied this car and still have it today 44 years later.

100% original including paint.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2015, 10:41 AM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fYRE542
This 69 Big Block was my 2nd car I bought when I was 18.
My parents did not approve of me buying it so I had to save up the money and pay cash for it. I was dead broke and the only way I could drive it was to charge my friends 2 bucks a piece for rides. The reason my parents were against having a Corvette was because my older brother almost killed himself in a 67 tri-power big block coupe. Well I babied this car and still have it today 44 years later.

100% original including paint.
WOW, your '69 is in fantastic shape and looks absolutely stunning!
And $2/ride…I wonder what that would translate into today and if any friends would be able to afford a ride?

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the Story behind your C3?

Old 06-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

Fresh out of college in May 1978 I went shopping for a Corvette. The wait for a new 78 was six weeks or more to pay full sticker price, and much more for a Pace Car (Pace Car mania was in full swing).

I found a silver 1977 and made a good deal on that. Loved it but sold it in the early 1980s - still single and going from a condo to a building a new four bedroom colonial, needed every available dollar.

Missed the 77, and told myself when I completed my MBA the graduation present would be a Silver Anniversary Edition, the one I wanted in 78 but didn't want to wait for or over pay for.

September 1984 my wife to be and I went shopping, and I bought a SA with Oyster interior. When my daughter was little, we used to take the roofs off and go for daddy daughter rides. Many happy memories. Finally sold the car at Carlisle in 2001, for a variety of reasons. The kids weren't happy about it, but at the time it was the right decision.

I recently saw an L82 four speed SA for sale in my area, complete with both regular and glass tops. Navy interior, needed work, but what a blast to drive. Nice to be back in the saddle again.

Funny aside...my now 25 year old daughter and I were out for one of our drives in it about a year ago. I asked her, what do you think of the new Corvette?

Without hesitation or prompting from me, she said, I don't like the Camaro tail lights on the back. Why did they do that?

I've never loved her more.

We still take the 78 out together. And she still asks me if I've managed to locate the first SA. She wants me to buy it back.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Afsooner02
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys/girls....I'm in the club! I have to keep pinching myself to make sure I am not dreaming...but I own a vette...pink slip and all. Hold on...let me say that again...I own a vette! (I hope the photos load)

Ok so let me tell my tale:

When I was a 6 my best friends dad was a vette enthusiast that had both a c2 (1966 I think?) and a 78 silver c3. I fell in love with corvettes because everytime I'd go over there I would see these cars in the garage. I knew someday I would be a vette owner...at least I hoped.

Fast forward to last year. I am active duty Air Force pilot, who when I was single had a z28 camaro (95) and the last year 2002 ws6 trans am. I got married....and moved to Seattle (I flew c-17s out of mc chord afb and sold the cars for a Honda Civic...yeah...ouch. (in the first photo you can see that stupid civic to the left...its a love/hate relationship. Love the MPG and easy mx on it, hate the boredom and lameness of Honda products....sooooooooo boring to drive)

Just moved back to Oklahoma and convinced the general (wife) to let me have my ***** back and get a dream car. I didn't say permission....screw that...I was gonna buy it anyway but it's easier to sleep at night if she was on board and she was....she knew I had sacrificed and I had picked a few stocks right so the money was there.

So with that in mind, I started my search....I thought I wanted a 78-79 since I was born in 79 and the l82s were in my price range and all....upon doing tons of research I fell in love with 2 things....the big block 454 engine and the chrome bumpers...well 4 speeds too but that's a given. So knowing that 427s and 454s from 68-72 are like 40-60k I knew they were out of the price range but then I saw the 1973. Man did that appeal to me...a single, lone year body style. Poly front bumper and chrome rear bumpers....and he prices were that of 74-77 models and affordable for something in decent shape.

If I had to have a dream car, it would be a 1973 454 ls4 big block in medium blue 922 paint and 4 speed transmission coupe. That is what I found....online....bought....which was extremely nerve racking since I didn't drive it until it was delivered but I did as much Homework as I could. Anyway, I own said dream car. Anyone else just look In their garage every night before bed for a few mins just to look at their vette? I do....

She still needs a few things to be perfect. E-brake is Inop, needs vintage air system, some of the chrome needs to be redone, radio is Inop. But whatever, I can do some of that stuff and the vette mechanic in OKc will do the rest. I am going to drive this car....not a ton but 1-2 times a week and love every second about it.

Hope the pictures show up! If not I'll try to re add them.

I literally own a vette....still can't believe it....

Thanks for reading guys....your stories are fun to read too. I get it now....I get the love.

Flying is fun, but driving a vette is heaven.....remember that!

Last edited by Afsooner02; 06-05-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Serial Steve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Afsooner02
Guys/girls....I'm in the club! I have to keep pinching myself to make sure I am not dreaming...but I own a vette...pink slip and all. Hold on...let me say that again...I own a vette! (I hope the photos load)

Ok so let me tell my tale:

When I was a 6 my best friends dad was a vette enthusiast that had both a c2 (1966 I think?) and a 78 silver c3. I fell in love with corvettes because everytime I'd go over there I would see these cars in the garage. I knew someday I would be a vette owner...at least I hoped.

Fast forward to last year. I am active duty Air Force pilot, who when I was single had a z28 camaro (95) and the last year 2002 ws6 trans am. I got married....and moved to Seattle (I flew c-17s out of mc chord afb and sold the cars for a Honda Civic...yeah...ouch. (in the first photo you can see that stupid civic to the left...its a love/hate relationship. Love the MPG and easy mx on it, hate the boredom and lameness of Honda products....sooooooooo boring to drive)

Just moved back to Oklahoma and convinced the general (wife) to let me have my ***** back and get a dream car. I didn't say permission....screw that...I was gonna buy it anyway but it's easier to sleep at night if she was on board and she was....she knew I had sacrificed and I had picked a few stocks right so the money was there.

So with that in mind, I started my search....I thought I wanted a 78-79 since I was born in 79 and the l82s were in my price range and all....upon doing tons of research I fell in love with 2 things....the big block 454 engine and the chrome bumpers...well 4 speeds too but that's a given. So knowing that 427s and 454s from 68-72 are like 40-60k I knew they were out of the price range but then I saw the 1973. Man did that appeal to me...a single, lone year body style. Poly front bumper and chrome rear bumpers....and he prices were that of 74-77 models and affordable for something in decent shape.

If I had to have a dream car, it would be a 1973 454 ls4 big block in medium blue 922 paint and 4 speed transmission coupe. That is what I found....online....bought....which was extremely nerve racking since I didn't drive it until it was delivered but I did as much Homework as I could. Anyway, I own said dream car. Anyone else just look In their garage every night before bed for a few mins just to look at their vette? I do....

She still needs a few things to be perfect. E-brake is Inop, needs vintage air system, some of the chrome needs to be redone, radio is Inop. But whatever, I can do some of that stuff and the vette mechanic in OKc will do the rest. I am going to drive this car....not a ton but 1-2 times a week and love every second about it.

Hope the pictures show up! If not I'll try to re add them.

I literally own a vette....still can't believe it....

Thanks for reading guys....your stories are fun to read too. I get it now....I get the love.

Flying is fun, but driving a vette is heaven.....remember that!

That's a stunning Vette-congrats!

And yes, I look in the garage before I go to bed just to stare a little. Funny, but a year ago, the thought of me actually owning one was literally beyond the realm of anything fathomable. Weird circumstances lined up and two weeks later, I had my Vette.

Quick Reply: Whats the Story behind your C3?