Sponsored by:

Whats the Story behind your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:15 PM
dwnissen855
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 80 C3 rescue

Ok, so I get a call from an old military friend and he says he's got a vette in the back yard of a house he's trying to sell, makes me an offer I can't refuse. Brought it home Feb/16 and its a work in progress. Needs a bunch of TLC. First pic is in the back yard, second is after bringing it home. Base L48, Silver over oyster. Has a Wieand Intake and aftermarket timing cover so I think its got a cam. Engine turns over, compression check shows all cylinders at 170 except #2. 120. We'll see. Keep ya posted.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (07-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 04:17 PM
dwnissen855
4th Gear

Default 80 C3 rescue

Originally Posted by dwnissen855
Ok, so I get a call from an old military friend and he says he's got a vette in the back yard of a house he's trying to sell, makes me an offer I can't refuse. Brought it home Feb/16 and its a work in progress. Needs a bunch of TLC. First pic is in the back yard, second is after bringing it home. Base L48, Silver over oyster. Has a Wieand Intake and aftermarket timing cover so I think its got a cam. Engine turns over, compression check shows all cylinders at 170 except #2. 120. We'll see. Keep ya posted.
Also, can't get the drivers door open so if anyone has any ideas out there, please...please share. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice Pickup

Jack.
dwnissen855 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:57 PM
1970corvette
Heel & Toe

I HAD a 70 vette....my first.......had for 2 years........she caught fire ....a wire in engine compartment....ins co. Totaled her.......😞

But into more and exciting things....got. Beautiful 2006 z51...😊
Old 06-22-2016, 05:54 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 75 modified

<br >I bought my corvette as a '75 with ecklers "daytona style" or 80's style body-kit and fake l82 badges and #matching l82 block from another vette. Frame was clean and what was left of the body had 60k original miles.
Since then I looked up the car and it was a boring '75 classic white coupe. I decided to stick with the modifications and installed a 400ci sbc and 200-4r transmission. I re-painted the interior and installed custom guages, side pipes, c5 wheels and upgraded the springs/shocks.
I got the car for a deal And at first hated the kit but now because of it's unique qualities I love it. Car of my dreams!

Last edited by Averystingray75; 06-22-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Carybrooks
1st Gear

I currently own a 2006 convertible and just aquired a 78 silver anniversary with 36000 original miles. Nothing special about the 2006 but the 78 was purchased/ordered by my father and was delivered in July of 78. I loved that car. About 15 years ago my father sold the car. I was sick. Luckily for me he sold it to a friend of his. About 3 weeks ago I got a call from his friend (Bob). Bob stated that he was getting rid of a few of his vettes and that he had the one he bought from my father and would like to see it go back to my family and if I would like to have to back. Well I was thrilled. I promptly ask bob what he wanted for it and he said he would sell it to me for what he had bought it from my father for. I picked it up Father's Day weekend. It is all original and in fantastic shape (never spent a night outside). I used to steal this car when I was in high school. ( I got caught every time). Father's Day weekend was the first time I have Legally driven it and it is finally secured in my garage were it was always supposed to be. :-)
NewbVetteGuy (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 01:54 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

My dad's a life-long Chevy gear head nutjob (he's long said that "if heaven ain't got a Chevy and manual transmissions, he ain't going", as one of many examples; we found a 1978 Corvette Pace Car billboard ad that was never installed; it's like 18' long -we had it glued to the wall in the basement where it still sits to this day-I think his favorite birthday present EVER.). He's owned one of everything Chevy and drove a 56 Chevy (non-BelAir) in circles on his home-made dirt track on the farm for 4 hours after draining the oil out of it because he had never blown up an engine before and wanted to (Note: It never did blow up and he gave up, put oil back in it, and traded it for a motor cycle that almost killed him when he drove into the door of a garbage truck that ran a red light.) He also owned a green with gold stripes all number matching, frame-off resto rag top 70 Chevelle 454, 69 Camaro SS (Yellow on Black; my dream car), more El Caminos than I can count, several mid to late 80s Monte Carlos, Novas, a 77 Bigfoot wanna-be jacked up pickup truck lovingly named "Old Blue", an 87 IROC Camaro from an auction that came with $100,000 of cocaine hidden in the floor boards by the heater core that the cops asked lots of questions about later-longer story, you name it, he had it. Heck, he bought 12 cars at one time before from a going-out-of-business car lot and turned the front yard of our farm into a used car lot for unloved Chevys for about a year (including a crappy Chevette that I used as my personal go cart around the farm when I was about 13(yes, it's legal when you grow up on a farm).)

-I grew up going to swap meets and car shows and selling Chevy parts and NES Nintendo cartridges (those were actually mine; lol!) off of a hay wagon pulled behind a Chevy Silverado (yea, we were the crazy red necks who had the cheapest Chevy perf parts, but who drove a hard bargain), but never really "got nto it" on my own; to this day I think I know every song from the 50s and 60s and as far as I can tell they're all about cars, surfing, or cheesy G-rated romance songs. Now I of all people, am getting Corvette fever; I'm probably more shocked than anyone. I always knew this was considered one of the crappiest years for a Corvette in history but I think it's really just misunderstood and just needs a little love that includes throwing all smog stuff and the exhaust in the trash, and replacing the heads and CAM with something modern to shine. The era saw the first smog regulation of course, but it also saw a huge change in how HP was rated (net vs gross), it also saw intentional under-rated HP numbers due to political and insurance reasons. The engine was intentionally de-tuned (checkout the from-the-factory CAM timing) and was choked until it turned Chevy orange (not blue, DUH!) by the first generation catalytic converters.

My parents bought a 1977 Corvette for my dad new in 1977 from the small Indiana town's only car dealer (via St. Louis) and they then bought an automatic trans L82 with every option except for the rear window defroster for my mom in the summer of 1979. After I was born in 1980 and my sister in 1982, my sister was diagnosed with cancer (multiple places and kinds) in mid-1983; to pay the hospital bills they sold the 1977 but were able to keep the 79. The 79 never really got driven as the crazy work life of a farmer kept them busy just trying to keep food on the table for our family of 4.

They used to get the car plated and pay insurance in the summer and then still never drove it. I got to drive it down the lane when I turned 15 and finished driver's ed; they SAID they were going to get it running, insured and plated again in 1999 for my Sr. Prom, but didn't get around to it (my prom date; now wife, never got to see the car without 4 flat tires and a good 1/2" of bird crap on it in the shed- no wonder she hates it, huh?)

Jump ahead to 2015 and around my 35th birthday, and the car's 36th I was given the 1979 L82 after they retired and bought a C7 with the proceeds from a matured life insurance policy. They spent some money over the previous year paying a mechanic to get it working again after sitting for 12 years without moving. It had 13,600 original miles on it. EVERYTHING works on it except for the cigarette lighter and the power antenna.

I've got plans to significantly modernize it for its 40th birthday in 2019 which includes a 4L60e computer controlled trans with overdrive, TBI EFI including ignition control, and a top-end swap, among other things. We'll see what I can get done by then, but I hope it'll be a happy birthday for the old-girl.

I hope to see a slew of modern technology that improves comfort and improves both performance and fuel economy and that pays tribute to the history of the Corvette.

This may be a bridge too far, but I hope I can convince my wife to see the value in keeping it for the long haul and keeping it in the family for another 40 years when I'd love to see it get a flying car hyperdrive or whatever technology exists at the time. ;-)

Adam

P.S. I don't even have a decent recent picture of it as they were all on my phone, which died when I jumped into a pool with it in my pocket a couple months back.... Ughh! In September when the car and I are reunited I'll get pics and post them back here, but she's black on black on black with paint that was never great from the factory but I've been told after a lot of buffing at least looks as good as it ever has.

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 07-11-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Akodo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I fell in love with Trans Ams, particularly 2nd gens, when I was about 5. I remember sitting in the window of my kindergarten classroom looking at the car lot across the street with a shiny line of 80's in the front. I swore one day I would own one of my very own.

Now, I've owned about 20 of them over the course of my life, various years, various conditions. My current, and final, one is a 1979, 403 auto, all original though modded lightly in the mid 80's (chambered exhaust, performance cam, forged pistons, fog lights, hooker headers, edelbrock intake, etc) Black with tan interior. The problem? It doesn't need much done to it, and I don't want to modify it further since it is original.

My current daily driver is a 2013 Impala, I figure I can get another 3-4 more years out of it before it piles up enough miles to start to worry me. So, I decided to build a new daily driver to replace it when its time to go. I drive about an hour one way to work, so I like to have something I enjoy driving. I considered building an updated 2nd gen Firebird, but decided instead to upgrade to a Corvette. I've always liked the C-3's, so no problem there, I started looking for a suitable roller to play with.

After looking at six or seven complete train wrecks, I found one for $1500 about two hours away. Its partly 76, partly 82. I prefer the flat window to the bubble, and I like the spoiler of the 82, so it worked out well for me!

The Hillbilly who owned it did some... QUESTIONABLE mods, from screwing a Neon spoiler down on the rear deck (with 4 inch wood screws) to shaving the door locks and handles... without adding poppers or any other way to open the damn doors!

About a week after buying it, the local salvage yard got in a 77 that went head on into a Fusion, bought what was left for a few hundred dollars, minus the engine, tranny, and rear end. PLENTY of usable parts left, from a complete tan interior in excellent shape to tail lights and all of the emblems.

Still collecting parts before I launch into this project, I have an engine (358 Jasper crate motor lightly built), need a trans and cooling system and various other little parts.

Long term plans would be to do something a bit more exotic. I would like to put a supercharged six in it at some point, just to see what kind of performance/ mileage I could get out of it.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Akodo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dwnissen855
Also, can't get the drivers door open so if anyone has any ideas out there, please...please share. Thanks in advance.
Last time I had to deal with that problem, I pulled the door panel off from the inside and released the mechanism manually. But I wasn't worried about saving the interior panel, and the Firebird had a bit of room to work with inside the door.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:29 PM
fab004
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

amazing !

Originally Posted by TexasYankee
I bought my first Vette in Janurary of 1979, a red on red 1978 while I was dating my future wife. In the summer of 1979 we became engaged and I was laid off from my good paying job.

I traded the Vette in for a more economical car and was married to my wife. I always said I traded the Vette for a wife. We've been married 32 years so it was a good trade!

About 7 years ago me and the missus was reminiscing about the "good old times". She cofessed to me that one regret she has was she never asked me to let her drive the Vette. The more we talked, the more I remembered how much fun we had while dating and cruising in my 78.

Without her knowledge, I started to look on flea bay, the classifieds, and online classic car dealers. At first it was just as a curiosity. In a short matter of time however, I started to look in earnest, never letting my wife know what I was doing.

Finally, after 6 long months of searching, I found a 82 for sale locally. I secretly went out and looked at it and fell in love. I didn't test drive it though and told the dealer I'd have to think it over.

I stewed over the car for a week. Finally I figured it was now or never.

I took momma out for our weekend dinner date. As we were dinning I asked her if she ever wished we had Corvette. She said yes, some day she wished we could get another one. I smiled at her and said, well honey, our someday was here.

The next day we drove out to the dealership and drove "the Precious" home.

We've owned the Vette almost 7 years now. If me and my wife are not at a local car show together on the weekend, we are taking a drive.

A typical drive starts with me asking wher to? Her response is, just point the nose in any direction and GO.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:26 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts
Default "o)

Originally Posted by fab004
amazing !

Wow, I can't top that great story! My father restored classic cars and he knew I have always loved stingray corvettes. We found a numbers matching, original 1968 and purchased it together. We had intended to restore her as a team, so I could learn from him. Sadly, he died from cancer earlier this year and our project car is waiting for her restration to begin. She is drivable and in great condition, a true survivor. I am ready to start this project, without his supervision, loving support knowledge and help. Wish me luck!!

Last edited by c1nicole; 07-20-2016 at 05:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by c1nicole:
fab004 (07-20-2016), fotyfobravo (10-11-2016), NewbVetteGuy (07-20-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 07:30 PM
duece coupe
6th Gear

Well i bought my third c3 and missed the boat with my timing . i responded to an add about a 1971 LT-1 convertible sitting in a barn. widow was selling her husbands cars off after his death. she had already sold a 1966 coupe big block with air and a 1958 fuelie before i saw the ad. but she still had a 1971 convertible LT-1 for sale and i bought it and didnt haggle price . It was a original LT-1 with two engines . a crate engine in the car and the original engine sitting with it ready to be rebuilt. It was a 54k mileage car with origi
nal paint and a hard top stored in a trailer in the next barn.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:51 PM
C3Todd
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is my first post as an owner of a Corvette, and I have to say I have enjoyed reading the stories on this thread.

My story is somewhat short. My Dad always had cool cars (Impala, Camaro 442)...as did my uncle (64 Corvette, 65 GTO, 84 Corvette, 2005 Corvette) as I grew up. My cousin had a 1969 I loved when I was in college. Because of their influence, I always wanted a chrome bumper Corvette. During our marriage, we had a couple of opportunities to buy a Corvette came up but the "timing" was never quite right (graduate school, buying a home, having a baby, etc.). Well, this past 4th of July weekend I made up my mind and decided that the timing was now right. I looked for the past month, saw a few cars but couldn't find the best Corvette for me. I eventually found one that sounded fantastic so my wife I jumped in the car and drove 600 miles to see it...and pulled the trigger.

As a 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves (Aug 3rd), we bought a nearly perfect 1970 L46. The car should arrive Thursday and we are thrilled.

Last edited by C3Todd; 08-03-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:33 AM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C3Todd
<---SNIP--->
As a 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves (Aug 3rd), we bought a nearly perfect 1970 L46. The car should arrive Thursday and we are thrilled.

Congratulations!

And a great choice for an anniversary present. The car looks beautiful.
C3Todd (08-03-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 74 Soft top/hardtop.... VIN # 00036, LS4 - 454 ..... quite frankly is that crazy blond headed cheerleader pole dancer crazy girl that everyone warned you about.! I HATE her! Whoever heard of a leather deluxe interior, PW, PB, PS, with FACTORY NO AC....... I bought from the daughter of the original owner in Chicago. She let it rot on her carport until she decided she wanted a new Harley. I bought it....trucked it to N. Ga.

Originally Posted by 76_Stingray
Just wondering how you got your Corvette and what was the best thing that has happened with your C3 since?

ALSO if you would like to, read Corvette Stories from the Backbone of America. (Im not allowed to provide the webist, but you can find it). I got this book when i aquired my corvette last year! The Author, Tommy Mallory, is a good friend of my uncles and gave my Grandparents a signed copy, and on my birthday my grandparents then signed it over to me. Needless to say i am obsessed with the book and ive read it so many times ive became bored with the stories so I posted this to read more! EMAIL TOMMY MALLORY YOUR STORY TO GET IN THE NEXT EDITION!

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 09-24-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:44 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo
My 74 Soft top/hardtop.... VIN # 00036, LS4 - 454 ..... quite frankly is that crazy blond headed cheerleader pole dancer crazy girl that everyone warned you about.! I HATE her! Whoever heard of a leather deluxe interior, PW, PB, PS, with FACTORY NO AC....... I bought from the daughter of the original owner in Chicago. She let it rot on her carport until she decided she wanted a new Harley. I bought it....trucked it to N. Ga.
Fixing the AC with an aftermarket system (that is a better deal given the change in freon) shouldn't be a deal breaker. With that said, I drove a 74 454 Corvette with no PS and 4 speed. I was maybe 25 at the time, and thought it would be the most awesome thing ever. It was the most meh thing ever. With that said, and dovetailing it with my first line, all that ills that low-compression 454 can be solved affordably (relatively speaking). Aluminum heads are your friend along with an aluminum intake, vintage air a/c - and you rock. Best of all you can save the stock parts for the guys 20 years from now who are going to be moaning about the jerk that took the stock heads off and put those 'crappy' aftermarket heads on

C3s are a driver car, especially rubber bumper cars. Make it yours and you might fall in love with it again.... the sound of a BB and convertible would make me forget I'm married and I would do many unnatural things with it.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 10-07-2016 at 12:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperBuickGuy:
fotyfobravo (10-11-2016), rpetronk (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 07:49 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buick guy! That's pretty good advice. If I keep it it will need a good AC add on. You cook in the winter in this car, Summer is impossible!
SuperBuickGuy (10-22-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the Story behind your C3?

Old 10-12-2016, 12:13 PM
rpetronk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my second C3 - alarm lock story

my 1st c3, a new 75 that I fixed myself when something broke

caliper rebuild
valve stem seals
timing chain
carb rebuild
ignition switch
power brake booster
etc..

I now own a 73 that's in great condition but some things need repair.
now my alarm story...

the alarm lock connection is faulty and I don't want to pay $100 for a used one (why aren't they reproducing this item?) so I pealed back the chrome cover and sprayed WD40 into the contacts and now it works!!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:23 AM
big mort
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Default My first car - Blessing in disguise

When I was 16 I got a call from an older cousin who had a 77 Vette (of which I was always jealous) saying he saw a 1980 for sale on the side of the road. I went to look at it, fell in love, and emptied out my bank account for it. After fixing a couple things here and there I took it to a shop for an alignment and when I got home it was in my driveway with a sign on it saying "DO NOT DRIVE, CALL ME". We came to find out the frame was riddled with cracks, big ones.

So after several unhelpful calls to the seller I decided to try to recoup some of my money and try to part it out. I didn't have the know-how or resources for that type of project at 16. My parents knew a guy at work who was in the Corvette Club of Northern Delaware. He talked to his club about my parts car and instead of helping me part it out, they wanted to help me fix it! And that's just what they did.

Over the next year we spent every weekend over a member's house pulling my cracked corvette apart and putting new bones into it. Several members of the club, community, and even this forum donated to my cause. Corvette vendors even sent free parts and offered to help in many other ways. The response was unbelievable. The project even made it into the local papers and Corvette Enthusiast magazine.

So that was almost 8 years ago and after finishing high school, college, and moving around a bit, I finally got a house with a garage that I can move that Vette into and finish her up. Just got her delivered this month and I couldn't be more excited.
SuperBuickGuy (10-22-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:46 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasYankee
I bought my first Vette in Janurary of 1979, a red on red 1978 while I was dating my future wife. In the summer of 1979 we became engaged and I was laid off from my good paying job.

I traded the Vette in for a more economical car and was married to my wife. I always said I traded the Vette for a wife. We've been married 32 years so it was a good trade!

About 7 years ago me and the missus was reminiscing about the "good old times". She cofessed to me that one regret she has was she never asked me to let her drive the Vette. The more we talked, the more I remembered how much fun we had while dating and cruising in my 78.

Without her knowledge, I started to look on flea bay, the classifieds, and online classic car dealers. At first it was just as a curiosity. In a short matter of time however, I started to look in earnest, never letting my wife know what I was doing.

Finally, after 6 long months of searching, I found a 82 for sale locally. I secretly went out and looked at it and fell in love. I didn't test drive it though and told the dealer I'd have to think it over.

I stewed over the car for a week. Finally I figured it was now or never.

I took momma out for our weekend dinner date. As we were dinning I asked her if she ever wished we had Corvette. She said yes, some day she wished we could get another one. I smiled at her and said, well honey, our someday was here.

The next day we drove out to the dealership and drove "the Precious" home.

We've owned the Vette almost 7 years now. If me and my wife are not at a local car show together on the weekend, we are taking a drive.

A typical drive starts with me asking wher to? Her response is, just point the nose in any direction and GO.
I first posted this back in 2012. November 13th will mark the 11th anniversary of me and my wife owning the "Precious".

We have logged hundreds of miles driving the back roads of north Texas to find BBQ joints and get a greasy hamburger. Now that all the kids are gone We especially look forward to our weekend drives.

If you pass a two tone silver over dark red 1982 Vette in North Texas be sure to wave!

Quick Reply: Whats the Story behind your C3?