Sponsored by:

Thanks 63 mako

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:19 PM
javier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thanks 63 mako

Just want to say thanks to 63 mako . About a year and half ago after getting all the specs for my 454 mako helped me put together a cam ,lifters,springs, gasket combo kit . Well after making time and pulling the motor out to do the swap , I finally took the car out for a ride today for the first time . Let me tell you that thing is a complete different animal , it makes power from the start to 6300 RPM and it gets up there like if it was a small block . I can not believe how quick the throttle response is and how fast it revs up . Just wanted to say thanks mako . Thought you might have wondered what happened since its been a year and a half . Once again THANKS hope you're doing well .

Thanks
Javier
Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Yes, I was wondering how you were doing on your build.You went with the crane cam, comp anti pump up lifters and beehive springs right? We got your quench @ .040, bumping your compression and went with a bigger cam to get your DCR right and eliminate your pinging. The beehives and anti pump up lifers will pull well past the listed operating range of the cam, The 112 LSA gets you better vacuum and throttle response and the lift helps a lot. Changing from a single pattern flat tappet to a properly matched split duration hydraulic roller is a noticable change. Glad you posted and "Your welcome"! Glad I was of some help and your impressed with your results.

Last edited by 63mako; 05-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 AM
ltblue79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was a great help in choosing parts for my motor too. I just got mine back in but not ready to run just yet.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by javier
Just want to say thanks to 63 mako . About a year and half ago after getting all the specs for my 454 mako helped me put together a cam ,lifters,springs, gasket combo kit . Well after making time and pulling the motor out to do the swap , I finally took the car out for a ride today for the first time . Let me tell you that thing is a complete different animal , it makes power from the start to 6300 RPM and it gets up there like if it was a small block . I can not believe how quick the throttle response is and how fast it revs up . Just wanted to say thanks mako . Thought you might have wondered what happened since its been a year and a half . Once again THANKS hope you're doing well .

Thanks
Javier
Dude!!! Shutup!!! With praise like that, he's gonna start charging us money!!!!

I'm just joking, 63mako is definitely one of the good-guys! What I like about him most is that he doesn't just say "This is what you should do......" he says "This is what you should do, and here's why......". He has been instrumental in helping me to understand how DCR works, cam timing, (there is more to it than most people think) how a retro roller cam works, etc. And trust me, I didn't make it easy for him, either!!!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 AM
666WMD
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Dude!!! Shutup!!! With praise like that, he's gonna start charging us money!!!!

I'm just joking, 63mako is definitely one of the good-guys! What I like about him most is that he doesn't just say "This is what you should do......" he says "This is what you should do, and here's why......". He has been instrumental in helping me to understand how DCR works, cam timing, (there is more to it than most people think) how a retro roller cam works, etc. And trust me, I didn't make it easy for him, either!!!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
And that's the knid of person you want to take advice from, the ones who know why it's better. I love that kind of advice.

Props to Mako.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

I take the chance to thank Kevin-63mako again for the great job done on my L88 type engine.it has been a great experience for me : following online with pics and videos the make of my engine. i have to do it again. i hope i will need another engine sooner or later...hopefully for a 69 camaro...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Jedi926
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome! There are some pretty cool guys on here throwing out help and experience.

Last edited by Jedi926; 05-23-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by elle88
I take the chance to thank Kevin-63mako again for the great job done on my L88 type engine.it has been a great experience for me : following online with pics and videos the make of my engine. i have to do it again. i hope i will need another engine sooner or later...hopefully for a 69 camaro...
I enjoyed that build. Roller cam and better heads and intake next time. We could have gotten 600 hp out of your 440.

Last edited by 63mako; 05-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

There are a couple of gentlemen on here that have "been around the block" and know what there talking about. I respect them all. But even though I am getting up there in age, I find myself bucking like a kid at times, There's always something in me that says "let me do it my way, I think it will work" And 90 percent of the time I'm wrong and had I just followed the directions of these wise men, My pockets would be alot fuller. But hey I'm learning! THANK YOU to all the help I've gotten from this forum!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks 63 mako

Quick Reply: Thanks 63 mako