Sponsored by:

1970 LT1 370hp engine value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
LT1 Avanti
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"....and by the OP's posts, doesn't know what or if he has anything."

Finding out what I have is the purpose of the post.

I removed paint from the machined pad in front of the passenger cylinder head and did not find any numbers. Does that mean the block was machined again after it left the factory? My understanding is that this was a 1970's engine swap exchanging a destroyed supercharged Studebaker 289 with a good 350. On my next visit to the car (which is in storage on the other side of town) I will remove the valve cover and check the numbers on the head.

I have a friend who is a Corvette enthusiast with a mid 70's Vette equipped with nitrous coming back to town this weekend. I will ask him to take a look at the vehicle and see what insight he has to share.

If I do sell the engine and keep the car I would not put an original engine back in it. When I purchased the car I was told its engine was in upstate New York. When time and money permitted I would power it with a more modern I.C. engine or go electric. I have not seen an electric Avanti yet.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Avanti

I removed paint from the machined pad in front of the passenger cylinder head and did not find any numbers. Does that mean the block was machined again after it left the factory?
That's exactly what it means. The operation is called 'decking the block' and unfortunately removes all identification as to what specification the engine was originally built to.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

On my next visit to the car (which is in storage on the other side of town) I will remove the valve cover and check the numbers on the head.

While this won't tell you what the engine is it will at least help to see if the heads are 70 LT-1. You may know this but in case you don't have it -the cast number should be 3927186 with a date code before August of 70 (July was the last build dates for 70) they will have screw in studs and should have guide plates although those are often missing. You shouldn't have to pull the cover but just look through the hole in the top.

The other higher $ parts to easily check will be the ignition system as it should be a TI system with the amp and right coil and the alternator with a 1100884 case. You may take a quick look at the oil pan as well as the early 70 6 quart are worth a few bucks. It will have a longer bottom then the later ones and those used with power steering.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
LT1 Avanti
6th Gear

I posted an image of the head on the website. A link should be included here. It matches the LT-1 with a date of Jan 19, 1970.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

a 3927186 head still may or may not be a LT1. it was also used as a base engine head in 70 also for passenger cars, camaro, nova and chevelles, also with corvettes. depends on the valve size, if you have 2.02/1.60 valves, then yes.. an overwhelming number of these heads were used for non LT1 cars.

so far I see no evidence this is a LT1 in all these posts.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
LT1 Avanti
6th Gear

On what other cars was the Holley 780 List 4555 used? nastyz28 lists that carb for the manual transmission 1970 z28 only for the 1970-72 LT-1.

I am selling the car locally.
From replies on this forum, a 1970 LT-1 is not that valuable to justify removing it from the car. If a local is interested in the engine they should be able to verify whether or not it is actually a 1970 LT-1.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Avanti
From replies on this forum, a 1970 LT-1 is not that valuable to justify removing it from the car. If a local is interested in the engine they should be able to verify whether or not it is actually a 1970 LT-1.
No- what people are telling you (repeatedly) is that there is no evidence that this or ever was an LT-1 engine. If you want to misrepresent stuff during the sale of the car, that's pretty slimy.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure how you can say you are being told a 70 LT-1 engine isn't valuable? I am making a statement/offer that if you have a real and complete 70 LT-1 in good condition it is worth a minimum of $4k to me and if it was rebuilt with original parts it could be double that. I have around $9k in my 70 LT-1 build and I am not done.

You want $12.5k for your entire car so how is this not valuable? My low offer is a third of your entire asking price.

What you have sounds like a few parts that were, or could have been, used on an LT-1. I have asked a few times if you have certain parts and I have not seen those so at this point I would be hard pressed to say you have even an incomplete 70 LT-1.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Dale Scribner
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spf72
I am just finishing up building a 70 LT-1 engine and have spent some time looking for real LT-1 parts. To my knowledge there are no parts that are unique to the LT-1. There may be a code difference on say the distributor but all of the parts appear on something else so the date codes and numbers become very important to someone doing this kind of rebuild. The parts you have mentioned so far are not the hard to find big dollar parts. The exhaust and valve covers mentioned are many times aftermarket and are on many different cars. The carb - if all of the numbers and date code are correct is worth a couple hundred if it needs to be refreshed, you can get them all done for the $500-$700 range.

The parts I would pay more money for over another sbc part are - ignition system including dist, coil and amp, the right numbered alternator is fairly valuable, heads if they are real LT-1 with a 70 date code, the right coded intake (not the aftermarket many think is an LT-1) the proper coded crank (if it has never been ground) a good set of original rods and pistons - good meaning slightly or never used.

I have a 70 LT-1 car so it has been a fun and worthwhile project for me but I can't see why anyone would ever go to the trouble and the expense if they didn't have the right car to put it into. You can build a much better engine for less money so your market is fairly limited. A real LT-1 complete engine with 100% of the right original parts that needed a rebuild would be worth around $3k-$4k to someone that needed it. If you have any of the hard to get items and they are 70 LT-1 I would be interested in them that way you could keep the base motor and switch out certain parts but it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.
I have the LT1 engine with VO223CTU as the last three digits on the front of the block. Intake is a 3844467 earlier Vette. Heads are 8873487 from I think a 71 year and have the hardend seats. It resides in my 1964 Corvette coupe. I will be swapping it out one of these days for a 383 stroker.

The LT1 is a weekly driver and runs great. I know it has been detuned somewhere along the line as it runs on regular gas, never pings. Probubly those 71 heads. It doesn't mater to me if my car is all original or not. What maters to me is, I like it, it's fun, runs great, and looks greater. Body and interior are pure. I show it with the hood closed so all the hamburgers cannot point and say, well lookie here, thats not the original engine.! Beside all that, I cannot afford a numbers matching car.

This is a great forum for Corvette fans and a world on knowlege resides here.

Dale
Old 07-22-2019, 11:45 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

It is so easy to build a 425hp 350 now that the mighty LT-1 is not worth it any more except for the short block and intake/carb......the heads are so bad that the intake will support another 100 hp than what the LT-1 was rated........even if I had an original LT-1 car.....I would almost certainly put heads on it and headers to compliment the intake......
A great conversation piece but scrap the cylinder heads........Trick Flow even makes a bad *** head with Camel Humps cast in it because I am not the only person who thinks this way.......
A set of heads on a stock LT-1 with no other changes would be worth 60 horsepower or more.......with headers 75 or better.......
With a modern pair of heads/valvetrain......you essentially have a nice track motor as the rest of it was pretty dam good.
Note: The intake is so good that I have considered a ported Winters intake with milled divider for my sneaky 406......to replace the Team-G......I do not think it would hurt that much.....the 406 makes 500hp.

Jebby
Old 07-29-2019, 07:44 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

how many would sell their era correct lt1 for 250? Funny crowd
stick a borescope down the dipstick hole see if it has a windage tray
Old 07-29-2019, 10:15 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

somebody should CNC map the front and rear of the more collectible heads and machine Dart-Brody-AFR to look exactly like an OEM head at a glance.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:03 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

Dale S you've resurrected a 7 year old post (as your first post)🙂

Not saying it's illegal or anything but if you have something to say you may want to start a new thread.

I still don't know how this happens so often but then again I only use the app so I only see recent posts.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:36 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

and it was many posts of 2 guys disagreeing about an engine. nobody wants to read through 30 or 40 extinct posts to see what you want to discuss. please just hit new thread.

Quick Reply: 1970 LT1 370hp engine value?