Sponsored by:

Yearly maintenance costs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
JAVette78
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yearly maintenance costs

Can anyone give me an idea of yearly maintenance costs for a mid 70's c3? I've been looking for a little while now and am just trying to figure out how much i should factor into my budget. Im going to see a '77 tomorrow that has a recently had the engine and transmission rebuilt and seems to be in good driving condition. It also has new brake calipers, alternator, battery, etc. But of course it has a problem in the headlight system (like nearly all the c3's I've seen so far). What I'm looking for is a driver and not a show car, so I would like an idea of the cost to keep it running. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Any older car is going to have more maintenance issues than a newer car. Depends on how much the older car has been updated and maintained.

I think you'll find that a lot of us are not so much worried about maintenance costs as we are about those creeping "while I'm there" or "wouldn't that be nice to have" or "what can I upgrade now" costs that are ever present.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by JAVette78
...Can anyone give me an idea of yearly maintenance costs for a mid 70's c3?..
No. All of that will depend on your C3, how much, and how often you use it.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are so many variables with this question it's like asking how much a blue car costs...

You have to factor in the condition of the car (engine, trans, rear, tires, interior), your driving habits, what the roads, weather and traffic are like in your area, how much you drive. See what I mean? Do you do your own work or do you have to take everything to a shop? On top of all this, it's a 40 year old vehicle and things are going to break and continue/finish wearing out. Other than typical maintenance, oil changes and so forth, you're going to have to do some repairs at some time. What and when is anyone guess without and inspection of the car and an understanding of where and how it's going to be used.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If a car is in 'as new' condition, ongoing maintenance costs are pretty much the same as any other car. If it's got a mish-mash of old/new good/bad components, it's impossible to guess.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Will it be a daily driver for work and play or a "weekender"? Big difference.

If a weekend toy, figure $2500 for the first year if nothing major goes wrong and you'll get the car sorted out.

Depending upon where you live (put your city in your profile) you can probably increase that by at least 50%.

Tough to say without more info and photos:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...cs-inside.html

Good luck-
Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It's a "need" vs "want" decision and how much of the work you will be doing yourself vs sending it to the shop. If you are a disciplined spender, then you can control how much you need to do every year. If you are undisciplined, ahem, don't tell wifey poo how much you are spending otherwise you'll have to spend that much on her project list - like a new kitchen, furniture, etc
Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

My "maintenance" cost this last year was less than $500 (gas and insurance), but if I calculate a rolling average from the time I bought the car and all I've done to it.....well....that averages a good $2400 per year.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
It's a "need" vs "want" decision and how much of the work you will be doing yourself vs sending it to the shop. If you are a disciplined spender, then you can control how much you need to do every year. If you are undisciplined, ahem, don't tell wifey poo how much you are spending otherwise you'll have to spend that much on her project list - like a new kitchen, furniture, etc
until project creep comes into play and next thing you know you will pull the body off the frame
Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maintainacne is cheap and fairly predictable. Mostly fluids and insurance. No big deal. Maybe $500.00 per year.
Repairs add to the cost, and you never know when the expenses will crop up. If I had to average it I would say somewhere around $750.00 per year, but it varies widley from year to year.
Modifications? Well that's where the big money comes in. It is the unusuall person who can resist upgrading their vette. Fortunately, this is entirely optional. Average annual budget? Only you know the answer. But like the old saying goes: "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?"
Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
...If you are a disciplined spender...
I'm a disciplined spender. I'm broke.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by damoroso
There are so many variables with this question it's like asking how much a blue car costs...

You have to factor in the condition of the car (engine, trans, rear, tires, interior), your driving habits, what the roads, weather and traffic are like in your area, how much you drive. See what I mean? Do you do your own work or do you have to take everything to a shop? On top of all this, it's a 40 year old vehicle and things are going to break and continue/finish wearing out. Other than typical maintenance, oil changes and so forth, you're going to have to do some repairs at some time. What and when is anyone guess without and inspection of the car and an understanding of where and how it's going to be used.
now to the above equation, multiply that by at least a couple since you are looking to use your C3 as a driver. unless you do a complete mechanical restoration, you can figure that over time you will be doing a complete mechanical restoration, lol.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JAVette78
I would like an idea of the cost to keep it running. Thanks.
Doing routine maintenance and minor to midminor repairs yourself or paying a mechanic to do it for you? Huge difference in $$.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

For a C3 car that has been brought back to good operating condition, yearly maintenance consists of changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles (or 3-6 months, as you choose), keeping the fluids topped off and gas and air filter clean (they last about 2-3 years, each), keeping the tires up to correct pressure, adjusting/changing the points and replacing the condenser [on a points-type ignition system] yearly, paying for insurance/taxes/license, and putting gas in it.

Now, the expensive part could be getting it to that "good operating condition" in the first place.

Oh, don't forget the regular washings, polishings, and driving with TLC, whenever.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:53 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You will probably have to replace much of the car. I would think of them more as replacement/upgrade costs....they would be therefore much higher than you are planning.

Maintenance costs will come later after the car has been rebuilt.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

There is a lot of good information that has been discussed. I would say the question is of maintenance versus restoration. For maintenance I do not spend that much. Oil, filters,belts, etc. But the restoration is costing me BIG TIME.

kdf
Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kdf1986
There is a lot of good information that has been discussed. I would say the question is of maintenance versus restoration. For maintenance I do not spend that much. Oil, filters,belts, etc. But the restoration is costing me BIG TIME.

kdf
Sums it up quite nicely!

Get notified of new replies

To Yearly maintenance costs

Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flyeri
Sums it up quite nicely!
No way. It all depends on existing condition and how, where and how much it's driven. For instance, how are the rear wheel bearings? Have they ever been done? How's the cooling system? Are you going to be in stop and go traffic, or mostly highway driving. Like I said, way to many variables for any kind of budget numbers. What you might do is budget regular routine maintenance, oil changes, tune ups tires etc., and then start saving for repair costs.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

As the guys have said, it's hard to say.

Maybe this will help though: of all the hobby vehicles (boats, rv's, etc) the classic car is the cheapest I've found to insure (less than 400 through Haggerty for $12,000 coverage) and it's not like your paying dock fees to keep it in the garage. ($50 for a good cover) Depending on how much you drive it, gas can get a bit pricey (they aren't exactly green vehicles, thank God)...

But you absolutely can count on having to fix or replace something every year. Honestly, that "work" is far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Last note, parts for vette's are RIDICULOUS compared to other classic car parts. Even comparable Camaro and Mustang parts are cheaper.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Repairs can be expensive, if they are to "unique" or difficult to find parts. On the other hand, the engine/tranny are very common and parts can be found for reasonable prices about anywhere. And, as with any car, if you do the work yourself it is considerably less expensive than taking it to a shop.

But, repairs are when things break or no longer function. You asked about "maintenance" which is just the "upkeep" for a working vehicle. Those are two entirely different issues.

Quick Reply: Yearly maintenance costs