Sponsored by:

What is it with venders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM
jay_c3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it with venders?

Just put out almost 1k for a suspension kit at Ecklers and wasn't told the Leaf spring will not be in until the July 30th and the front springs wouldn't be in for another 2 weeks. They should give you the consideration to tell you they don't have the part so you have the option to order from someone who may have it in stock or upgrade the part with one they have in stock at their cost.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Certainly, you can cancel those components and buy elsewhere if you need it sooner- right ?

Everybody has supplier issues, but you're right- you should have been informed. I've bought stuff from Ecklers for 30 years - - they're usually pretty good.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

cancel and tell them why
Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

oh oh. should have called willcox.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
jay_c3
Advanced

They already shipped the majority of the parts. The Front springs and the fiberglass leaf spring are not in stock. Good price but they should have made me aware that the parts will not be in for a Month.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

problem is that promise date for parts can keep getting pushed out.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

See if you can order the 'missing' parts elsewhere, then cancel those from Eckler's. Some vendors only want to sell parts and make money. Others want to supply parts for customers who need them and make some profit in the process.

There is a BIG difference....
Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

why would they intentionally try to guide you to another vendor ( who probably does not have the part either) and lose sales? dumb marketing decisions more often than not are what bring down companies. probably a good subset of all vendors parts are not on site. they rely on their suppliers and the 'just in time' inventory and supply methodology.

they all order from each other and supply each other.

show me a vendor that is totally stocked all the time and I will show you one that is several steps closer to failing.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Yeah, I'm not seeing any vendors immune from stocking issues. All you can do is call around for up to date availability. Online ordering will not provide accurate stock info in many cases.

I ordered a valance from Paragon online the other day. First I get an email explaining they cant figure shipping properly online. Then another to say the part will be 6 weeks. I said I'm OK with 6 weeks. I'm not OK with waiting 6 weeks to be told they don't know how much longer. No answer. Cancel.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill

show me a vendor that is totally stocked all the time and I will show you one that is several steps closer to failing.
I wish all vendors could be as well stocked, prompt, and efficient as Long Island Corvette Supply. As far as I'm concerned, they set the bar for everyone else. Absolutely unparalleled!

Too bad they only sell midyear stuff ...they'd have a lot more of my business if they were into the other generations.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM
jay_c3
Advanced

I called this order in. It wasn't an internet sale. So I get stuck with the charge to my card until they reimburse me. Also when I asked for a manager to put in a complaint they don't let you. Such Bull crape. I thought Ecklers would be one of the better venders to work with.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Default Is it legal to hit credit card before shipping?

I just pulled this off WiKi

"It is technically legal, but it isn't good business!! Most companies only charge when they ship. It is against VISA and MasterCard's regulations for a merchant to bill their cards prior to shipping.

Contrary to what some sources indicate, the Fair Credit Billing Act does not address if it is legal for a company to charge you before shipping the product. Instead, it makes it illegal to not ship within advertised time period (or 30 days if no expected shipping date is mentioned in the agreement). If a merchant says "this item takes 90 days to ship", then they may bill right away and not have a legal problem if they ship before the 90 day window."

If you used a Visa/MC, they violated the cards regulations. If they didn't say or advertise it would take weeks or months, call your credit card company.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
jay_c3
Advanced

Nows here's a kick in the BUTT. Called Corvette Central who caries the same parts. They don't have the springs or mono spring they are back ordered from Ecklers. WTF ??? But at least they were honest enough to say they don't have it in stock.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_c3
Just put out almost 1k for a suspension kit at Ecklers and wasn't told the Leaf spring will not be in until the July 30th and the front springs wouldn't be in for another 2 weeks. They should give you the consideration to tell you they don't have the part so you have the option to order from someone who may have it in stock or upgrade the part with one they have in stock at their cost.
I had the same thing happen to me right before Christmas. In early December last year, I placed an order for a new dash pad for my son's 75. Worried that it may not be in stock and not arrive in time for Christmas, I decided to call the order in instead of ordering of their web site. I asked the sales person to confirm to me that the item was in stock and would ship out immediately and was told that it was in stock and would ship within 1-2 days. a week later, I still had not received a shipping confirmation so I called to check on the order and was told that the part is not something they stock but rather they have it drop shipped directly from their supplier. They then proceeded to tell me that the supplier was out of stock and that it would be 3 to 4 weeks before they would have it to ship. By then, it was too late for me to order elsewhere and get it delivered in time for Christmas without paying for expedited shipping (and for something the size of a dash pad, that gets really expensive). In my opinion, this was totally unacceptable. Why didn't they just be straight up with me in the beginning and tell me the truth? I was pretty P.O'd to say the least.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Not having parts in stock is NOT the issue. Not having parts in stock but taking the order for them and NOT TELLING THE CUSTOMER THEY ARE NOT IN STOCK is the issue. Rotten business practice and illegal, in my book. If a vendor had done that to me, I would never buy from them again.

And, if you purchased with a credit card and have been billed for a non-completed order, you should call your credit card company and let them back the charge out for any parts on "back order" and also they will call the vendor to correct them for their shoddy business practices.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:38 PM
noonie
Race Director

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go
I just pulled this off WiKi

"It is technically legal, but it isn't good business!! Most companies only charge when they ship. It is against VISA and MasterCard's regulations for a merchant to bill their cards prior to shipping.

Contrary to what some sources indicate, the Fair Credit Billing Act does not address if it is legal for a company to charge you before shipping the product. Instead, it makes it illegal to not ship within advertised time period (or 30 days if no expected shipping date is mentioned in the agreement). If a merchant says "this item takes 90 days to ship", then they may bill right away and not have a legal problem if they ship before the 90 day window."

If you used a Visa/MC, they violated the cards regulations. If they didn't say or advertise it would take weeks or months, call your credit card company.
All the local gas stations were not following Visa agreement, advertising a cash price and having a higher credit card price. Turned them all into visa and none now do it.

Always order by phone and ask if it "is in stock" and "when it will ship". Call the CC company if you get any BS.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 PM
jay_c3
Advanced

Looks like they are charging piece by piece by the looks of the order sheet I received with the first parts already. Than it looks like other parts are coming from a different location and the springs and composite spring are out of stock and will ship at a later date. I was told on the phone that the springs would be shipped around the 15th and the composite rear spring would be shipped around the 30th of this month.

Get notified of new replies

To What is it with venders?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:44 PM
jay_c3
Advanced

"All the local gas stations were not following Visa agreement, advertising a cash price and having a higher credit card price. Turned them all into visa and none now do it."
The gas station across the street advertizes the cash vs credit card charge per gallon.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It varies from state to state.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm... looks like I can pass on a similar experience from not too long ago.

I ordered a set of 4 reproduction (but triple chromed) slotted rims with T/A's mounted and balanced from Mid America Motorworks. My order was confirmed the next day via email. Two weeks went by and there was no hit to my Visa so I called up. My order would be in stock and shipped by June 4th. Okay, no problem. A little peeved that they never told me it wasn't stocked, but my car isn't a runner right now anyways.

I get back from California and there's no delivery to my U.S. address. I wait another week then call. Now the story is that they're waiting for the supplier to contact them about availability. "What about this June 4th in-stock and delivered reply I received in May?" "Don't know who you were talking then, I can only tell you that we don't know when this item will be in-stock." "Oh really?! Well... cancel my order will ya. I'll go someplace else that will give me a straight answer." "Sure. I'll cancel that for you right now."

They made no attempt to help me in any way. It was as if they couldn't wait to dump my order. I plan on purchasing my entire interior from one supplier to ensure that the color remains consistant from piece to piece. I was going to use Mid America, but not now.

On a side-bar... I found a set of '79 slotted rims on eBay. Nice shape; no burrs or gouges in the rims; paid $300.00 for the set of four. I just need to spend the time and effort to polish them. I should have done this in the first place, but the appeal of getting a set of four mounted tires was too overwhelming at the time. Live and learn...

Quick Reply: What is it with venders?