C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help explain to the wife why a C3 chrome bumper is so desirable!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help explain to the wife why a C3 chrome bumper is so desirable!

In a bit of a battle right now. Wife is against the purchase of a classic vette, "impractical, will just sit in the garage, cost too much money, you already have a car, etc.." Nevermind that I have found a 95% restored '72 vert, great paint, automatic, very clean, on a new rust free frame.....for less than $13K.

I'm going to let her read these replies, so please do your best, use your most persuasive and poetic voice, tell her that I'm not the only man to think that there is nothing more sexy in the classic car world than a chrome bumper!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If I were to ask my wife right now if she wanted to take the 70 out for a cruise, she would be all for it. Cruising around with the top down, wind blowing through your hair, is hard to beat. I have had mine for about 12 years now and have no intentions of selling it.
Here is an old picture of it.

More current picture.

Last edited by Eddie 70; 07-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

it is beyond belief how beautiful she will look behind the wheel.words cannot describe it.just tonight a strange woman got behind the wheel of my car and was transformed into a goddess.she exclaimed it was her dream car and she kept massaging the shifter.you too will experience this feeling of arousal.all this and my car has rubber bumpers.imagine how it will be with chrome bumpers.(i will e-mail where you can send the check).
Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Because it is what will make you happy. Simple as that.

It could be worse, she could have somebody like me, with a half dozen cars in various stages of completion, (see signature line).
I have tried to give my wife everything she ever wanted... faithfulness, kids, big house, antiques, collectibles, and even some acres in the mountains where I will build her a cabin.
In return, she grants me what I want, a big garage full of cars to play with.

She DOES want you to be happy, doesn`t she?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

The problem is if you are with someone who is totally against it, it's unlikely you will change her mind. Thats unfortunate.

I went through a couple divorces before I found someone who shared my interest in classic cars. Things are so nice to have someone who loves the hobby and shares it as opposed to someone standing there with arms folded and a pout.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Less than $13K for a lifetime of quality time spent with the missus on late afternoon drives?!? No brainer! And when you two arent going on those fun drives, you'll be out of her hair, but she'll know you are - in the garage working on the Vette - instead of bar hopping with your buddies, or playing golf for 6 hours every Saturday and missing BBQ's at the in-laws. Win-Win!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You having a thing for a Corvette is way better than you having an affair with another woman.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

promise a date night in it once a month. the experiences you could share in a car like that would make it worth having. take her for a test ride in it and see how she feels about it.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Thanks guys for the replies so far, but i really need you to explain to her why a corvette is so appealing to us as men. I need for her to hear from other red blooded American males why we gravitate to these cars. I'm the only man in the family (both our fathers passed away many years ago so no help there, and all of her work male friends are metro sexuals and of no help to me either). She doesn't get how important it could be for my boys and the bonding opportunities either.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

I really wish my Dad was still around to help with this. She'd probably listen to him.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 PM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfGaladriel
I'm not the only man to think that there is nothing more sexy in the classic car world than a chrome bumper!
Herein lies your problem. Sorry, but what catches your eye first in the classic car posters, the sexy girl or the chrome bumper? If you don’t put the wife higher than the chrome bumper on the sexy scale, you are doomed forever!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I got lucky and my wife is very excited about the car. She keeps bugging me about when it will be done. Mine is a custom, so I let her have some input. Small price to pay. She insists on side pipes and an L-88 hood. Other then that....
The car sounds nice. It is something that you can enjoy for years and when you are done probably sell it for about what you have in it. Maybe more. What other hobby can you say that about?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Driving a C3 Corvette makes the testosterone flow. Need I say more?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

It's a guy thing that she's never going to understand anyway if it needs explaining.

Would she rather you spent your disposable funds and spare time at the local strip club?

In my case, I was into Corvettes and racing before my last ex married me, so she knew going in she'd never have a right to complain about those things. Other stuff, yes, but not about those.

Hope one or more of the above helps without causing a divorce.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have spent the last two years working on my 69.It may take a few more years until the car is the way we want it to be ,but that is part of the fun.
My wife thought me mad when I bought my last vette a 77but as the years went by the car became part of our life style.Going for a drive in the car became our time to do as we wanted.a way of getting away from it all.
I sold my 77 last year and spent my summer working on the 69.Once a week my wife would ask how the car was coming along,she said the summer was not the same without the vette and late last Aug. it was finaly fit for the road.
I have a great deal of work left on the car but the fun continues.My only suggestion to anyone considering a vette is to buy one.See what the fun is about both the good and the bad,and enjoy it.If it ends up not being what you wanted or expected a for sale sign is quite cheap and you can move on.
I would rather say that I owed a vette once and did not like it,then say I wish I had bought a vette.Life is too short to wish I had.
Go buy it.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:43 AM
E12n
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say take her to a Corvette show. Maybe she prefers the rubber bumper or a different year (C2 or C4)
Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 AM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by E12n
I'd say take her to a Corvette show. Maybe she prefers the rubber bumper or a different year (C2 or C4)
She likes the style of the C2 split window. Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that I'll ever be able to afford one.
Still the same problem though, she just doesn't understand a man's desire for a nice classic, curvy car, with chrome, and a nice V8 sound.

Get notified of new replies

To Help explain to the wife why a C3 chrome bumper is so desirable!

Old 07-22-2012, 02:08 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Dude, if you want the car, and you can afford it, just go buy the car. Tell her that if she doesn't like it, she can just go log onto her facebook account and complain about it.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 07-22-2012, 02:10 AM
desue
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfGaladriel
Thanks guys for the replies so far, but i really need you to explain to her why a corvette is so appealing to us as men. I need for her to hear from other red blooded American males why we gravitate to these cars. I'm the only man in the family (both our fathers passed away many years ago so no help there, and all of her work male friends are metro sexuals and of no help to me either). She doesn't get how important it could be for my boys and the bonding opportunities either.
It's not just men who think Corvettes are sexy, especially the chrome bumpers, but as a woman, I think they are sexy as hell! If she is that dead set against you having your toys, then I agree with the others, you're marriage is doomed. Here's something that may change her mind: tell her there are a few gals out there that would absolutely love it if you brought home a car like that! Guaranteed nookie for at least a month! The power of jealousy is pretty persuasive sometimes! Makes me glad I have no one to tell me how to spend my money too! Good luck to ya!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi SoG,
I truly believe that many men are fascinated with things that are mechanical and move. While many women are not. It can be a motorcycle, a car, a boat, or an airplane.
What draws a man to a certain car is actually a list of many things... it's appearance, it's sound, what it feels like to drive, it's smell, and the fact that it needs to be, and can be, 'tinkered' with. All these things bring a certain amount of pleasure and come only with ownership. It's fun to help someone else with their car but, it's more fun to be working on your own car.
Why a chrome bumper car in your case? I don't think there's any way to explain that except it's what you happen to like.
That's it!
Regards,
Alan

I find this one pretty easy to like.

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-22-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Help explain to the wife why a C3 chrome bumper is so desirable!