New Guy, New 73 project

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
MAP73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Guy, New 73 project

Hey all

I am new to this forum and although I have owned 4 C3s since 1983 I have never done any heavy restoration/maintenance on a Corvette. I just drove and enjoyed them. I do have quite a bit of experience restoring Mustangs and showing in MCA concours classes.

I have always had a fondness for the C3 Corvette since the first time I sat in one, and at this point being 58 I really don't care what all my blue oval buddies think, I wanted a 73 Corvette so I went out and bought one last week.

My car is a NOM, Dark Blue (927) coupe, with a Dark Saddle (422) leather interior, 4 speed and I don't think it has many options other than that. No air, power brakes, stereo, PW/PL. Pretty plain and simple which suites me fine.

My car has frame issues mainly in front of the left rear wheel. I have looked over the rest of the suspect areas and it looks pretty good. I will be removing the body to fix the frame and restore the rest of the mechanicals. I have never done a car with a frame and I am actually looking forward to being able to get to stuff. It should be fun.

I have ordered a factory shop manual and the assembly manual, they have not arrived yet.

If I have one advantage it might be that I am just across the river from Wilcox, and they seem to be the place to go for stuff. I suspect I will become a good customer shortly.

It's going to be tough not knowing much about Corvettes and GM stuff. I will be asking a bunch of questions about what you guys may think are obvious things, so bear with me and remember I am learning as I go. I have the skills and equipment, I just don't know the particulars of the car.

After all that I guess my first question is: Will the shop manual or assembly manual give a step by step procedure on how to remove the body?

I have borrowed a body sling for a Corvette and I have access to a large block and tackle.

So thanks in advance!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MAP73
...I am just across the river from Wilcox...
Sounds like Louisville.

Congrats on the 73.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, Keep us posted on the progress, any photos.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 PM
MAP73
Instructor

Just south of Louisville near Ft. Knox. I have a Album started, not sure exactly how to post pictures yet, I'll work on that.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Map,
It sounds like you have a nice project to work on.
To your question... neither the Chassis Service Manual nor the AIM will tell you how to lift the body.
BUT, studying the AIM will show you the things which need to be disconnected, like bumpers and brackets, steering, hoses, fuel lines, harnesses, body-mount bolts, etc. in order to seperate the two.
Work your way front to back and top to bottom and disconnect ANYTHING that links the body to the frame. The more you take off the body, (interior for example), the easier it will be to lift.
It's a good idea to have a dolly already built to put the body on so you can move it around.
The most important thing is to document what you're doing with photos, and label, bag, and tag EVERYTHING. Bagging fasteners is critical!
Good Luck as you get started.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-11-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
MAP73
Instructor

Ok, that's what I needed to know, I figured it might be that way. I have to shove some of the Mustang parts out of the way to get organized, can do!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:29 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

MAP--

Congrats and welcome to the '73 club... Color combo looks great... Lotsa work to bring these cars back, but if you're close to Willcox, there is a lot of talent there for you to bounce some questions off of...

Rogman
Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Konkol1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the (Corvette dark blue metallic-927) '73 club.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a nice project,look forward to seeing pics of your car.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Wow, where are all of the '73's coming from all of a sudden? Don't get me wrong, it is one of my favorite years, so seeing a bunch of them brought back is great!
A bunch of good advice so far, but I would like to add from my personal experience about the photos. With digital photos now, they are free so you CAN NOT take too many. These projects usually wind up taking longer then you planned and by the time you get back to it, something that seemed obvious at the time may not months (some times years) later. I wish I had taken at least 2x more.
The other thing I might add is something that a friend told me. As soon as you take the body off, everything changes. Not necessarily in a bad way, but if you are just planning on taking the body off, fixing what's broken and putting it back on then be warned about the "might as well" factor that comes into play at that stage.
Mine started with a powder coating of the frame .. you might as well. Once that looks so nice the rest of the stuff looks ugly and so you might as well...
Anyhow, congrat's on the 'vette. Get some pictures up as soon as you can and keep us posted. BTW, I have noticed that a lot of Ford guys that hate chevy's make an exception for the Corvette. Even they know how cool they are.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 PM
MAP73
Instructor

You know the first Corvette I had was a 73, same color exterior as this car, but with a automatic. I got the car in 83 just after I got divorced. I had some fond memories of that one. To me there is a special feeling when I get in and look out over the front of the car. This one I just bought will stay with me forever. I have a new wife 27 years now, two grown daughters, but I still get that same old feeling when I get in the Vette.

Hey, I need some help in posting pictures. I am probably missing the obvious here?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi M,
Posting pictures is very easy.
Upload the pictures to a site like PhotoBucket.
Then 'copy' the 'IMG' code that appears under the picture you want to post. Then 'paste' the code in the body of the post you're making.
You'll see the whole IMG code but we'll see the picture after you click 'submit'. If you click 'preview post' first, before 'submit', you'll see the picture and can make sure it's the one you want.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Welcome...and nice purchase. Personally I'm rather fond of a 73 with Dark Blue 927! Good luck with the restoration!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the elite 73ers !!!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Deke736
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I recently purchased a 73 Dark Blue Metallic Corvette as a project car myself! I can't wait to follow your progress! Good luck!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice one with the '73. I sincerely hope that your frame issues are not serious. I knew that the fronts of both rear wheel wells were bad on my '80. However, I fully expected that the Corvette shop could graft a replacement rear frame section. But when I took my frame in they said they couldn't salvage it. But they just happened to have a complete '80 frame in their back storage yard. That's the route I had to follow. I truly believe that if the shop didn't have a second frame, they could have saved my original frame.

Best of luck...
Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 AM
MAP73
Instructor

Let me try this photo thing:

Get notified of new replies

To New Guy, New 73 project

Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 AM
MAP73
Instructor

It works, Thanks!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 AM
MAP73
Instructor

I am going to ask my second question, I think I will only ask one per day:

My interior has the leather seats and the door panels with the wood grain insert and the carpet on the bottom.

If you got a "standard" interior with vinyl seats would it also come with the plain door panels that did not have carpet on the bottom?

My seats need recovered and my door panels need replacing also. With no A/C I was thinking I might want to have the vinyl seats if they really do have woven inserts. They might be more comfortable than leather. Just wondering how to go on the door panels, I see they have two different trim levels.

Thanks again
Mark
Old 07-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to the 73 club. A lot of great info will come from the members of this forum. I have the standard trim leather, but with leather seats. They do get a little stick when hot. AC does help, but does not eliminate the " sticky bottom".

Quick Reply: New Guy, New 73 project