Need a pic of stock firewall - 1970

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need a pic of stock firewall - 1970

As with most projects with these cars what started as a simple project -an engine build - took on a life of its own. I stripped the firewall of anything attached and am replacing the grommets and other parts. This includes new wiring harness and vacuum lines. I know the theory of replacing the wiring one wire at a time but this system had been badly modified - I pulled over 100' of added wiring plus the PO had put in a different ignition system and taken out the TCS and other items.

I am looking for how the overall harness is run as I can figure out where each wire goes once the harness is installed on the right path. I have been following the AIM and other books I have but the wires are not all lining up where they should so I have something off - I also have a few empty clips and shouldn't have.

I have done a search and found some good information but I couldn't find simple pictures of an existing stock set-up that is right.

Anyone have a picture or two to share? I know 71 has an extra relay but not sure if anything else is different?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi spf,
I think you need to get the harness positioned behind the distributor first.
Then you can make the distributor and wiper motor/pump connections that are there.
If you move to the right, you'll have the wires that run down to the starter and further right to the heater blower.
If you move to the left the harness runs under the steering column and around the bend to the apron where the horn relay is, and then finally to the temp sender on the left side head and the alternator connections.
I found that in the AIM I had to look at both the Electrical Pages and the Vacuum Hose Pages to understand how and where all the clamps are and what they hold.
I didn't mention the emission control connections because I'm not sure just how they're run compared to my 71.
I'll try to answer some specific question if I can.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I will look in the morning. When I had my 70 apart I took all kinds of pictures. I may still have them and I'll have to scan them too. Taking them of the car right now can't be done since it is in storage 10 feet in the air.. maybe someone will pop in with some good clean pics before then too.. either way here is a bump for you.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys. Alan, the motor is not in the car as I want to get the firewall back together first. I removed and rebuilt the heater and removed any part/piece that could be removed to clean and replace where needed. Like I mentioned the wiring isn't that difficult to figure out with a decent diagram and common sense it is what clip holds which wire(s). On the 70 the vacuum and wiring are actually taped together in places but not in others.

My questions are more along the lines of things like - the main vacuum hoses go above the master cylinder, do the headlamp windshield washer lines also go under that clamp and/or does any wiring? There are several smaller clips (as opposed to the larger pieces that bend around the hoses and wiring) what goes through them?

I am trying to avoid having my new wiring and vacuum lines looking like a jumbled mess but the cars I have seen tend to not be very neatly lined out. I am not sure if that is the way people put them back together or if it just wasn't that important from the factory.

I am sure many here have done this job and any pictures would be a help.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

spf.. I'll tell you what.. I can answer those questions if I can get my car down... Or find the old pictures..

I don't think I can get on top of the lift to take pictures. But.. I'll keep watch on this and if no one post in a day or two I'll see about lowering the car down or having one of my guys get up there..

What is sad too... I drove through your home town three weeks ago.. Killing time and looking around. I vacation in York Beach now.. But I have good friends in Bangor... We meet up in Portland every year.. Maybe next year huh..

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 07-25-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, if you come across the pics I would appreciate it.
Also if you come back this way send me a PM. I actually live in Pine Point which is the other end of the beach going north from Old Orchard Beach. We have a real estate office in an old cottage behind Bailey's lobster pound and would gladly buy you a crustacean or two to eat on their deck. (they are around $2.25 a pound boat price and about $3.75 retail)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I cannot swear this is stock configuration, but it is my 69 Firewall with most equipment installed.

Last edited by 69Vett; 07-25-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by spf72
Thanks, if you come across the pics I would appreciate it.
Also if you come back this way send me a PM. I actually live in Pine Point which is the other end of the beach going north from Old Orchard Beach. We have a real estate office in an old cottage behind Bailey's lobster pound and would gladly buy you a crustacean or two to eat on their deck. (they are around $2.25 a pound boat price and about $3.75 retail)
We gotta talk then.. I go for Mabel's in Kennebunkport.. I'll be there in June/July next year
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi spf,
These are the pages from the AIM that I refer to for hose and harness routing information; and for how the clips and clamps are used.
Perhaps they'll help you too.
UPC 1 Sheet D10, Headlamp Washer System- Hoses
UPC 1 Sheet M 3, Vacuum Control Asm. & Cables
UPC 1 Sheet M 5, Heater Hoses
UPC 1 Sheet B 6, TCS Switch & Relays
UPC 12 Sheet A 5, Parking Lamp, Horns, and Side Markers
UPC 12 Sheet A 6, Forward Lamp Horn Harness and Horn Relay
UPC 12 Sheet A 7, Generator & Forward Lamp Wiring Harness
UPC 12 Sheet A 8, Engine Wiring
UPC 12 Sheet A 13, Headlamp Vacuum Hose Routing
UPC 12 Sheet A 14, Windshield Wiper Hose Routing
UPC 12 Sheet A 15, Headlamp & Windshield Wiper Hose Routing
UPC 12 Sheet A 16, Engine Compartment Wiring General Arrangement
UPC 12 Sheet A 17, Engine Compartment Wiring General Arrangement
UPC 12 Sheet C 2.5, Speedometer Cable
UPC 12 Sheet C 3, Back-up Light switch and Oil Pressure Pipe
These pages often show how clips/clamps are used for both electrical harnesses and vacuum hoses so need to be referred to when you're working on either one or the other, or both.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-26-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Alan, thanks for taking the time to do that. I had found many of those pages but not all. One of the issues I am having is in my AIM it shows the vacuum relay on the passenger side in front of the heater area when on my car it is on the driver side by the master cylinder. The AIM shows tubing going over to this relay being clipped into the clips I am trying to figure out. My car is a late build (June) and it could be they moved the relay but left the clips with nothing to hold?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time.

Steve
Old 07-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi spf,
The 70 pictures I have show the wiper relay mounted to the left side of the 'box' the master cylinder mounts to.
There is a large clip riveted to the top, right, forward, surface of that box. There appear to be at least 4 hoses (maybe more) running through that clip on towards or from the left side of the compartment.
Regards,
Alan

When the wiper relay got moved to the right-side apron, that clip was moved to one of the bolts for the hood release mechanism. The hole in the surface for the rivet remained and was closed with a smear of 'something' before black-out.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's three pics for you showing a mostly original (and dirty) firewall from a '70 L46. I have May 29th and a July 13th build cars and they both have the relay mounted next to the master cylinder. These pictures are old, but should give you a good idea where the components go. If you need any other pics, I can get them, although maybe not right away.

Good luck

Name:  Picture-031_edited.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  Picture-030_edited.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  Picture-043_edited.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  51.5 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Need a pic of stock firewall - 1970