Sponsored by:

Wrong steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
peragatz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wrong steering column?

Long time reader, first time poster here. I have a steering column question. I have a 69 4-speed with T&T. I was taking my steering column apart (using the expert advice from Jim Shea's papers) and when I got to the lock plate, there was one of those plastic c-clip retainers. According the Jim's papers the 69 does not have this part, so I was curious about why. I then started looking for a date code on the steering column, but I cannot find one. Can anybody share a picture of where the date stamp is located? The part number in the casting under the turn signal switch is 7805274, but I don't know if that's the actual steering column part number, or just the casting number for that part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

STEERING COLUMN DATE STAMPS
1967-68 steering columns (both standard (non adjustable) and the telescoping column) were date stamped on the metal steering column cover just below the steering wheel on the underside of the column at the 6 o’clock position.
MFG. DATE CODE TO BE STAMPED ON COVER AT FINAL ASSEMBLY WITH .09 HIGH CHARACTERS…. CODE 000 0 0
000 DAY OF YEAR 001 THROUGH 365
0 SHIFT DESIGNATION (“A”, “B”, OR “C”)
0 LAST DIGIT OF YEAR (8 FOR 1968 ETC)

1969 through 1982 steering columns (both standard (non-adjustable) and the tilt & telescoping column) were date stamped on the steering column tube approximately 4 inches up (toward the driver) from the plate that attaches to the floorpan at the 7 o’clock position.
MFG DATE CODE TO BE ROLL STAMPED ON JACKET AT FINAL ASSY WITH .12 HIGH CHARACTERS IN THE AREA. CODE 000 0 0
000 DAY OF YEAR (001 THRU 366 MUST BE A THREE DIGIT NUMBER
0 SHIFT DESIGNATION (A, B, OR C)
0 LAST DIGIT OF YEAR (6 FOR 1976, ETC)

Unless you have your steering column out of the car, it looks like you will be crawling around under your dash with a flashlight to find the date stamp on the steering column jacket.

As I remember, the locking plate on the 1969 T&T column had a thin rubber cover molded tor glued to its face.

Jim
Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 AM
peragatz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim.

I looked in those locations and did not see anything. Is it possible the tube could have been rotated? The column is in the car, so I can't see on the top of the tube.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Wrong steering column?

Quick Reply: Wrong steering column?