Sponsored by:

Outer door felt trim install help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Outer door felt trim install help please

You would think that at $77 a pair for the Improved design window felts they would actually fit.

Is there a trick to getting these things in? It looks like the clips don't line up with the holes in the doors.

I'm about to pull the clips out and drill holes to screw them on instead of using those clips.

Bill
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

i had same problem with a set i purchased years ago. i ended up using my dremel tool to elongate some of the holes in the door. i tred some screw , but be careful if the head is too big it will scratch the glass.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:20 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bill,

I had exactly the same issue that you sit with now . Holes didn't correspond with the clips and if they did the clips would not hold firm like the original ones that i took off , despite opening the clips as suggested .
I did exactly as you are contemplating and fixed them with small rivets because it was the only way to get them to fit . I am shortly going to fit some new strips to an 80 vette that i also have but will be trying a set from Willcox this time instead of Ecklers units . I hope that these ones will be of a different quality .

I refitted the old units that i took off my 73 to double check that i wasnt doing anything wrong on fitment and they fitted perfectly and retained themselves every time without adjusting the clips . I think that the new units were just not the same quality at all .

Good luck , take my advice and save yourself a lot of hair pulling and try a set from another supplier or use some small rivets and rivet the ones that you have onto your doors , be careful of your glass , i lowered the stops to get it out of the way .

John

Originally Posted by texaswilkins
You would think that at $77 a pair for the Improved design window felts they would actually fit.

Is there a trick to getting these things in? It looks like the clips don't line up with the holes in the doors.

I'm about to pull the clips out and drill holes to screw them on instead of using those clips.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Outer door felt trim install help please

Quick Reply: Outer door felt trim install help please