Sponsored by:

Power steering issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
detzanghi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering issues.

Im new to your forum. I just signed up. I just recently purchased a 79 Stingray. I need the steering control valve and all. I have found a reasonable (for my tight budget) priced . 250+ 130 core charge from Vette brakes and products out of St Petersburg Florida. Has anyone used them before? I am pretty handy do the rebuild kits normally work? Any help or comments would be great.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

try this site, cheaper and they have a 10% sale going on for site members. http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...words=steering control valve
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you see this in the parts 4-sale section? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-p...-hardware.html
Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you can rebuild that for bout $49 complete and theres a video from wilcox to show you how.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Rebuild kit for the control valve would be an 'improvement' over buying a rebuilt unit, IMO. The return rate on rebuilt units is "suspect", at best. You can go to Willcox site and find a video on how to rebuild it. You can send a PM to Jim_Shea and ask for his papers on the control valve and it's rebuild. There is more to removing and cleaning the valve up than there is to rebuilding it. [And, you have to remove it anyway...]

You will also want to buy the rebuild kit for the apply cylinder; that is only a seal kit for the rod end, as there is nothing else to rebuild on it. And you will want to replace the hoses. All of the P/S stuff you can purchase from Willcox or other CF vendor. If you can do basic auto DIY stuff, you can do the rebuild on this stuff.

Unless you had problems with the pump, you shouldn't need a rebuild on it. If you want to buy the O-ring kit because you know that there were leaks from the pump, that would be a good idea. Otherwise, it probably doesn't need any work. This would also be a good time to change the drive belt on the pump (if it wasn't replaced recently by the prior owner).
Old 08-25-2012, 07:47 AM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default steering parts

lonestar caliper co has them rebuilt or new
Old 08-25-2012, 08:03 AM
detzanghi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you-all

Get notified of new replies