Sponsored by:

Reproduction Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Reproduction Jacks

This post is probably more directed at C1, C2 and C3 owners..but I thought I would throw it out there anyway...and try to get some feedback. I recently bought a 69 Corvette coupe..and I also have
a 65 converible. Both of these cars came without a jack, lugwrench
handle..etc. I went online to places like Corvette Central..and they have reproduction versons of the stock jacks. BUT they say these are for DISPLAY ONLY since they don't meet the more ridgid safety standards of the current jacks.

My question is: if these jacks offered are for display only...what are we suppose to use for a jack that we would actual use? Also..if these repro jacks are the same as the originals...and hence...not as safe..
what about all those Corvette owners that used these jacks all these years, since when their cars were new???...I don't remember hearing about any failures or accidents with the original jacks. So..what is the solution ? thanks

Jeff
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

A used original in good shape is almost always better than a reproduction.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I'd guess that even a carbon copy of the original no longer meets safety specs . . .so, to cover themselves from liability, the manufacturers caution that it's for demonstraton or exhibit only . . that way if you use it and something goes wrong- they're off the hook.

I always use my floor jack home in the garage rather than dig out the one in the bottom of the cubby - - plus, every time I try to get that thing outta there in every C3 I've owned, I tear the heck outta my fingers and hand on that darned spring . . .

Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting question. Are the origial jacks dangerous, or just the reproductions? Was it the design that was faulty? Has jack technology progressed that much in 35 years?
Let's see if anyone has an authoritative answer...
Old 08-27-2012, 04:18 PM
brianPA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My original jack just broke yesterday! It basically broke in the worst way - clunk and car dropped straight down. Luckily I had all four tires on and it only dropped a couple inches as I was just starting to jack one corner up. I'd use another jack for sure unless you have to change your tire on the side of the road, and never get under it if it is supported by just the jack. I had been using mine a lot lately when I shouldn't have because I was too lazy to go buy a garage jack. It worked great until it didn't.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Roadside use only

My plan was not only to get a jack so the car would be closer to the way it came from the factory...but to use, if I ever had a flat out on the road. Even when I owned the 69 when it was new..I never used
the jack out of the car, for doing anything but changing a tire. NO WAY
would I crawl under a car and only depend on one of those jacks to keep it up.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:05 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by brianPA
My original jack just broke yesterday! It basically broke in the worst way - clunk and car dropped straight down. Luckily I had all four tires on and it only dropped a couple inches as I was just starting to jack one corner up. I'd use another jack for sure unless you have to change your tire on the side of the road, and never get under it if it is supported by just the jack. I had been using mine a lot lately when I shouldn't have because I was too lazy to go buy a garage jack. It worked great until it didn't.
Tell us what broke, please. Pictures, if possible too.

Pete
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 AM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same situation here. No jack and looking at the options, original or new reproduction. I would only use it if I had a flat on the road, which hopefully is never. But a jack that you can’t use as a jack is not a jack.

So has anyone here bought one of the “display purpose only” reproductions and actually used it?

Interestingly, Corvette America doesn’t have that disclaimer, either on their website or in their physical catalog.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 PM
brianPA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
Tell us what broke, please. Pictures, if possible too.

Pete
The female threading disintegrated and it just pushed through. The white stuff is lithium grease. I heard some squeaking near the end of its life.

Name:  Zli4V.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  127.3 KB

I am now using a rolling hydraulic jack that is 10x faster than the scissor style. $25 at walmart. I saw a new scissor jack for sale similar to the OEM one and it was only rated at 1.5ton, less than the 'vette. Just to give you an idea of why its probably not a good idea to use for anything other than emergency tire changes.

I was using jack stands, by the way. I would never get under the car supported by that thing. I dislike being under it even with the stands as it is.

Last edited by brianPA; 09-10-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Stingray-Jer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is of interest to me as well. I have a 68 with no jack to be found. I would like to find a reliable jack to use in case of tire issues while driving.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I don't think that there is anything inherently unsafe about the design of the original or reproduction, scissor jacks. Chevrolet still includes scissor jacks with all of their trucks, and they're made from a much thinner gauge steel, than the original Corvette jacks.

The main reason that the reproduction jacks are sold as "display only", is for liability reasons, as CQRT suggested. At least one maker of the repro jacks is a small "cottage" company. They are not in the position to have the kind of liability insurance needed. It's just easier and safer for them to sell them as display items.

As far as safety of an original jack, I think it really depends on the condition of the jack. If it's a jack that has seen a lot of use, or is rusty from sitting in a wet storage well, I'd be careful about using it. If it's a jack like the one in my 81, that has never been out of it's compartment, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I don't know if I would be to quick to use a 30-40 year old Corvette jack, that had been used regularly around the shop though.

Because scissor jacks are safer and better than bumper jacks, a lot of people have regularly used their Corvette jack, for other projects. This is probably why so many Corvettes are missing their jacks.

No matter what condition a jack is in, or what kind of jack it is, I'll never go under a car that's on a jack. When jacking up a car, I always use jack stands, even if I'm not going under it. It's the only way to be sure your safe!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

How about a small bottle jack? Small enough to put in the storage area, plenty of lifting power to change a tire.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

That stock jack is unstable at the slightlest angle. I have mine, but I use a small bottle jack for on the road. In the garage I use a rolling floor jack.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

lots of talk about actually using the jack. but one should not be out on the road in a 30+ year old car without a good AAA package.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:49 AM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill
lots of talk about actually using the jack. but one should not be out on the road in a 30+ year old car without a good AAA package.
A major breakdown - yes, but I'm not going to sit for hours on the side of the road for someone to change a tire for me.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bluthundr
A major breakdown - yes, but I'm not going to sit for hours on the side of the road for someone to change a tire for me.
Exactly. I can change a tire pretty quickly. And, yes I carry a spare, as GM intended.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 PM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluthundr

I have AAA and have used it three times in 20 years for minor issues. First time they arrived in about an hour. Next two times I waited about 3 hours. I would much rather be on my way in 10 minutes after changing my own tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Reproduction Jacks

Quick Reply: Reproduction Jacks