Sponsored by:

Winshield leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 PM
mcarb80682
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winshield leak

Hello, I have a leak from the windshield . since i was going to reseal the real window on my 1977 corvette T-TOP was wondering if that is something i can do also fix the front leak, its comming from the center top of the glass, its a drip right thru the glue
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would remove the windshield, clean up the frame to make sure you have no rust in there (likely) then reset it with Urethane.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Clear silicon could be a temporary fix if you can determine where the water is entering the car.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you certain its from the windshield? Have you removed the trim? Generally windshield leaks come from the corners or side pillars. If you have a windshield leak it usually mean its from a rusted windshield frame and at the top is not where that usually happens first anyhow. If your T-Tops are leaking water can run down from the T-Top trim into the center panel and out the header around where the rear view mirror mounts and look like a windshield leak.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Clear silicon could be a temporary fix if you can determine where the water is entering the car.
Clear Silicone is the WORST thing you can put on steel! If it's not rusty now, it WILL be!! Urethane is best.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM
mcarb80682
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so how would to

the leak is from the black silicone because i removed the inside trimmings, and thanks to tropical storm it rained and i sat in the car to see were water was coming from, right from the black silicone water was comming in how would i go about removing the the windshield, do i pull all the chrome molding , or ........., i will be ordering new t-top seals because i saw some coming in from the rear of the t-top
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To remove the windshield you have to remove the trim on the pillar post and the small trim piece on the header. To remove the windshield itself you cut the butyl or sealer around the windshield most use a wire and two blocks sort of like a cheese cutter. There is a very high possibility that you will break the windshield while removing it. Do a search here on the subject. What you find when you remove the glass will determine your next steps. If you find rust some repair work will be in order. When resetting glass you must use setting blocks to get the windshield at the correct height or you may end up with gaps between the glass and the trim. There is some controversial discussion over the correct material to use to set the glass. I used Butyl tape others prefer an adhesive like 3M's window weld I suggest you research both. This is not difficult work but it takes time.

Alan has some great detailed photos on setting a windshield hopefully he will chime in here.

Last edited by Roco71; 09-07-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Winshield leak

Quick Reply: Winshield leak