Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Radio wiring

Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 AM
76L82Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Radio wiring

Hey guys Im having trouble installing a new pioneer cd player into my 76 vette. The previous owner installed a pioneer tape deck so after removing the old radio i went to hook up the new one but i have problem. for some reason the radio will not turn on at all. As the intructions say i need to hook up my yellow wire from the radio to a constant source and the red wire to the ignition on off and of course then the ground. I checked both my constant and ign on/off for power and i have it. The wierd part is is if i reverse the wires then the radio will turn on only when the key is in the on position and now for some reason none of my illumination lights for my guages work. Im hoping this is just some grounding issue that i may be missing but I could use all the help i can get thanks....
Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

you probly blew a fuse for your gauges, did you re-use the old power wires, or find some of your own, if your old radio worked , reuse those wires.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The original radio connection was yellow for power, gray for illumination, and black for the ground in a stock 3 place, flat plug. You may find the original connector under the dash if you're lucky. If the connector is gone, the wires should be tucked up under there somewhere.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
76L82Vette
Heel & Toe

oldalaskaman i will definitely check the fuses when i get home today. for the orignal wiring i do see the yellow gray and black wires that you are talking about easy mike. What i guess the previous owner did was connect the yellow to the ign wire on the radio and then run a wire to a constant source in the fuse panel and left the gray wire just sit there with my new radio it has the same type of wires a constant ign and ground, and the radio worked fine. With my new one if i hook it up in the exact same fashion constant to constant and ign to yellow and ground to ground i get nothing from the radio but if i hook it up in the opposite constant to ign and ign to constant then the radio will work but it wont save any of the settings (eq and channels) does that gray wiring need to be grounded or am i missing something completely here. Thanks for all the help with this
Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
76L82Vette
Heel & Toe

Well guys I finally figured out the problem. It ended being the radio was defective from the start so I had to exchange it for a new one and everything now works ok. I checked all my fuses and you were right oldalaskaman it was a fuse that was blown. Thanks for all the help and suggestions with this guys.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Radio wiring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1976 Radio wiring