Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
MrJlr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MrJlr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Chino CA
Default Dash Pad Installation

I used the search feature for this...but the are so many conflicting opinions about he ORDER to put the pads back in....

This weekend I will be starting the re-installation...Woohoo!

Click the image to open in full size.

Dynamated and pretty much ready for the dash

Click the image to open in full size.

I would think Top, Left, Center, Right....but some say otherwise....

Any opinions and reasons why ? Things I should watch for ?

Thanks in advance


__________________
I spent 30 years of my life playing guitar...the rest I wasted.
1974 Coupe - 383 Stroker, 350 automatic. 04/24/1974 Birthday.

SoCalStingrays
MrJlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Default

This works for me: Install the top pad and speakers and tie it down. Driver's side next with everything which goes with it. Make sure you hit everything because the intent is not to have to come back here. Moving right, the center cluster is next, including the stereo. Continue working to your right until you've buttoned up the passenger's side.

You could install the front carpets before you tackle the dash if you want to.


Last edited by Easy Mike; 09-27-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Easy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
MrJlr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MrJlr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Chino CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mike View Post
This works for me: Install the top pad and speakers and tie it down. Driver's side next with everything which goes with it. Make sure you hit everything because the intent is not to have to come back here. Moving right, the center cluster is next, including the stereo. Continue working to your right until you've buttoned up the passenger's side.

You could install the front carpets before you tackle the dash if you want to.

Thanks Mike

That's the way I pictured it...and GOD NO - I don't wanna go back in there EVER again

Sounds like this weekend is gonna be FUN !

I can install the steering column after all the dash - yes ?

MrJlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
scottw
CF Senior Member
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Default

That is quite the mess of wires you have there. Glad to see there are some tags on them. I'd forget where they go in about an hour. Good luck putting it back together. How was the job?
I'm looking at doing new carpet this winter and possibly taking the dash apart but I'm not sure yet.
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
MrJlr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MrJlr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Chino CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
That is quite the mess of wires you have there. Glad to see there are some tags on them. I'd forget where they go in about an hour. Good luck putting it back together. How was the job?
I'm looking at doing new carpet this winter and possibly taking the dash apart but I'm not sure yet.
Ya know....I tagged some of it....and some of the tags have come off but the other day when I was laying the Dynamat, I sat in the driver's area and started looking at the mess of wires. A huge amount of it is just light bulbs....not so hard to figure out....then I would grab another wire....and I was like "Oh....this clips here....and this is for this..."

After about 5 minutes of looking I know where "most" of it all goes....

Huge project - YES.
Do-able - YES

If I can do it....anyone can!

MrJlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Raphiki
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Raphiki's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Palatine, Peoples Republic of Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Raphiki
Default

I always put my dash pad on last simply because it is so much easier to reach in from the top to plug in wires and speedo/tach connectors when you can actually see them.
But maybe that's because I'm old and don't like standing on my head anymore.

Since you don't want to be going back in there any time soon, I hope you installed some LED's in the dash.
Raphiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
MrJlr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MrJlr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Chino CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphiki View Post
I always put my dash pad on last simply because it is so much easier to reach in from the top to plug in wires and speedo/tach connectors when you can actually see them.
But maybe that's because I'm old and don't like standing on my head anymore.

Since you don't want to be going back in there any time soon, I hope you installed some LED's in the dash.

LEDs - you bet !

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

MrJlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJlr View Post
...I don't wanna go back in there EVER again ...
Understood.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
...I'd forget where they go in about an hour...
The assembly instruction manual shows where/how everything plugs up.
Easy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Alan 71
CF Senior Member
 
Alan 71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Westminster Maryland
Default

Hi MJ,
I think it's a good idea to start but not tighten all the screws as you progress through the sequence. Then when every thing's in place and aligned, you can tighten them.
I also found that for me it was better to put the shifter console and e-brake console in place before the center gauge cluster. The 2 consoles sometimes need to be moved backward or forward to get the angle of the gauge cluster just right. Then I put the right side dash pad in place.
I think it's also a good idea to put the kick panels in place when you're putting in the left and right pads since the panels have a 'tongue' that slides into a 'groove' in the pads.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Alan 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
Mashman
CF Senior Member
 
Mashman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Austin Tx
Default

I just reinstalled my dash recently. By far the hardest part was the drivers side dash. The main thing I learned, is just like everything else, if you have to force it, you are doing it wrong.

I had a heck of a time with it until I realized a couple of things. These may be year or convertible specific, but I realized that the main dash harness, and the trip reset cable had to go in a specific way. I remember I had to leave the trip reset cable disconnected from the lower part of the dash, and then route it over a support and then back down. I can't remember exactly what was specific about routing the harness.

Main thing is don'e force it. If it's not going in easy, then figure out what is stopping it, and look or an alternate way to route it.
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
MrJlr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MrJlr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Chino CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 71 View Post
Hi MJ,
I think it's a good idea to start but not tighten all the screws as you progress through the sequence. Then when every thing's in place and aligned, you can tighten them.
I also found that for me it was better to put the shifter console and e-brake console in place before the center gauge cluster. The 2 consoles sometimes need to be moved backward or forward to get the angle of the gauge cluster just right. Then I put the right side dash pad in place.
I think it's also a good idea to put the kick panels in place when you're putting in the left and right pads since the panels have a 'tongue' that slides into a 'groove' in the pads.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
I just reinstalled my dash recently. By far the hardest part was the drivers side dash. The main thing I learned, is just like everything else, if you have to force it, you are doing it wrong.

I had a heck of a time with it until I realized a couple of things. These may be year or convertible specific, but I realized that the main dash harness, and the trip reset cable had to go in a specific way. I remember I had to leave the trip reset cable disconnected from the lower part of the dash, and then route it over a support and then back down. I can't remember exactly what was specific about routing the harness.

Main thing is don'e force it. If it's not going in easy, then figure out what is stopping it, and look or an alternate way to route it.

Good tips guys....keep 'em coming....
(I love this forum!)

MrJlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
KevinG
CF Senior Member
 
KevinG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Communist party of MD
ArcticDC5
Default

Are you sure you don't want to paint the birdcage with POR-15 before you reinstall everything? Just an additional piece of mind to prevent rusting.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
MrJlr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MrJlr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Chino CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Are you sure you don't want to paint the birdcage with POR-15 before you reinstall everything? Just an additional piece of mind to prevent rusting.
I started out to put in new seats...."while I'm at it" has already gotten the best of me.....don't want it to become a body-off!!!

Naw...good tip....but I want her back together! She's a California car....solid w/no rust

MrJlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
69Vett
CF Senior Member
 
69Vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Default

yeal, I installed my dash for the last time, ...10 times ago !
had to go back in several times for minor issues after assemble.
I would not drive the dash screws all the way in, until you pass a full road test.
69Vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
StingrayLust
CF Senior Member
 
StingrayLust's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Shakopee MN
Default test everything as you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJlr View Post
I would think Top, Left, Center, Right....but some say otherwise....
The one bit of advice I can give after installing/uninstalling mine several times is to test *everything* after you get the left and center pieces in. Blinkers, headlights, wipers, heater motor, power windows, all center gauges, etc.

I didn't test everything and had to redo mine 2-3 times because of issues like this.
StingrayLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page Dash Pad Installation
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
dash, interior, order, pads


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
See,...that's. .a box of fireworks! MrJlr Off Topic 38 07-05-2013 03:17 PM
My new (ok, currently) least favorite C3 project! MrJlr C3 General 13 02-19-2013 11:01 AM
I got a new windshield Woohoo ! MrJlr C3 General 13 02-02-2013 11:22 AM
What is this wire/light ? (Pic) MrJlr C3 General 12 10-03-2012 09:41 AM
Slowly getting the dash back in! MrJlr C3 General 10 10-01-2012 07:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Emails & Password Backup