Sponsored by:

Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Psychovette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starter Problem

Sometimes when starting my '79, There would be no response when I turned the key. No dimmed lights or noise, just no contact. Replaced starter and checked connecting wires for damage. Everything OK. Connected the battery. No interior lights, everything dead. Now what? Did I blow the fuseable link? Maybe I got a wire on wrong at the starter. Car has non-original engine and wiring to the starter has been changed. Lots of connections to the battery post. I put everything back on the new starter just like it was on the old one. Where is the fuseable link on a '79? Does anyone have a specific wiring drawing for what might be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Fuse links are on the starter harness, its a piece of wire spliced onto the harness, other end on the starter large battery connection.
Check the connections down there. If you hooked it up like it was and got nothing, it sounds like battery cable connections somewhere. Remember there 2 ends on each cable. Battery ground is on the frame under the car by the battery box, take it off and clean it and reconnect. What to the battery terminals look like? What about the connections on the starter? Pics?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Fuse links are on the starter harness, its a piece of wire spliced onto the harness, other end on the starter large battery connection.
Check the connections down there. If you hooked it up like it was and got nothing, it sounds like battery cable connections somewhere. Remember there 2 ends on each cable. Battery ground is on the frame under the car by the battery box, take it off and clean it and reconnect. What to the battery terminals look like? What about the connections on the starter? Pics?
good advice,

this might be another one of those unnecessary starter purchases
Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Psychovette
Instructor

I will try to get some pictures. There are two terminals on the starter solenoid. One is marked R and the other is S. My old starter was only connected to the S terminal. The big wire from the positive battery post connects to the large terminal on the solenoid, along with about three other wires - for sure not a factory situation! My assembly and shop manuals aren't much help. I can't find the fuseable link. Are they available at auto parts stores? I've never seen them listed in Corvette parts catalogs. I'll try tracing all the wires and try to post a picture of this.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Psychovette
Instructor

Hey Guys! I think I just won the "dumb ***" award! When installing the new starter, I must have pulled on the starter wiring harness. The electrical connection plug and socket behind the distributor must not have been latched and it pulled apart. Might have been my original problem to begin with. The brass contacts were corroded. I cleaned them and applied some electrical contact gell before plugging them back together. Probably didn't need the new starter but that's OK. Might want to check your under hood connectors. You might end up like I did. Starts like a champ now!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Problem

Quick Reply: Starter Problem