Sponsored by:

speaker size and installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 PM
rzkas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker size and installation

hi? i am looking for speakers that will fit on 82 corvette.

i am looking rear speaker and kick panel speaker and plus front dash speaker that will fit or mount easily or without major modification. i am look for something that will easily bolt on.

please post link where i can buy these speakers or speaker name and model.

i am thinking of polk or focal or rockford fosgate, kicker etc.

what speaker is better?

i also want to know how to install speaker on the kick panel. i thinking of put 61/2" speakers on the kick panel

thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

what is better is a little subjective. What do you call major mods?
Cutting the center dash only took me 15 minutes with a dremmel so it will take a single DIN receiver, which opens a world of possibilities. I went with a Kenwood KIV-BT901, added a 4 channel bridgeable amp, 2 channels bridged to run a 10" thumper in the jack bax and the other 2 to run a pair of 6 1/2 in the kick panels.
The head unit required cutting the dash, the kick panel speakers required cutting the kick panels.
Good weekend project
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may want to check in on the General Corvette Audio/Electronics forum, as lots of knowledge over there. Some even run custom audio shops. Double D Mods comes to mind, and could probably help you put something together.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

4" x 6" should fit under the dash fairly easily. For the kick panels, you need to pull one kick panel and measure the size of the hole in the pillar. That will tell you the maximum size speaker magnet you can fit in there. There might be a lip on the hole in the pillar that needs to be trimmed for maximum clearance. In my '73, I run Boston Acoustics 6-1/2" and they fit just barely. You'll have to cut a hole in the kick panel for the speaker to fit through and you will need the hole to be perfectly aligned with the hole in the pillar in order for the magnet to clear. Best to choose a top mount speaker as an under-mount will probably extend too far into the hole in the pillar.

Crutchfield is a good place to buy speakers but they are an even better place to learn about stereo components. Visit their website and see what you can find. Learn about efficiency. A more efficient speaker requires less power to drive it. Every 3db change in speaker efficiency halves the power required. Example: A speaker with a 90db efficiency rating requires half the power of one rated 87db to get the same volume level. That means with careful speaker selection, you can run a less powerful amp or head unit.

If you are looking to install an amp and think you might want to put it where there is not good air flow, learn about Class D amplifiers. They are pricey but run much cooler than other class amps. You could mount a Class D amp in the jack compartment.

There are a lot of old threads on the site regarding stereo installations. You'll need to use the search feature to find them. If you run across old posts by Durango Boy, run his advice by the current group before trusting it. He got some things right but didn't always. He did use to recommend a set of Polk speakers (if I remember correctly) that were good fits for the kick panels and I believe others had good success with them as well. Best to measure and be sure though.

Hope this helps.

DC

Get notified of new replies

To speaker size and installation

Quick Reply: speaker size and installation