Sponsored by:

Glove Box / Spare Carrier Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Glove Box / Spare Carrier Key

Have been curious about this but always forget to post about it. The key for the glove box and spare tire carrier for my 1970 got separated from the car at some point in its life. Obviously I'd like to replace it.

Can I have a key made to work in the existing locks or do I get new locks with corresponding keys, or something else? I'm no locksmith so apologies if this is a silly question. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Red Vert 02
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, you can have a key made for the locks. One key works both locks. This was done for my 1969 by Jesser's Classic Keys. www.jessersclassickeys.com 330-376-8181. He can also supply an original looking key if that is importanat to you. He advertises in the NCRS Driveline and knows Corvette keys and locks very well.

Last edited by Red Vert 02; 10-21-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yes as Reds said.
Any decent locksmith can re-key or code the new replacemnt key to any existing lock.
In the day, I worked at the Olds Division and frequently cut spare keys using a hand held cutter.
GM used a 5 number key code in the day.
When I did it everyday I could look at a key and damm near guess the code.
So theoretically that is 5 squared as possible key combos.
I always believed if you walked around a large parking lot back in the day eventually you may come accross another GM product that your key unlocks.
Keys are lettered A,B C,D E,F
These are the blanks and again create an infinite number of combos.
You will always have an A,B...C,D, or E,F set not mix and match from the dealer.
An A C E key was ignition.
B D F doors and glovebox or in case of Olds truck key.
My '68 Vette uses the A blank for the doors and ignition.
The B blank unlocks the little glovebox door behind the seats and the spare tire lock.
In 1969 GM changed the head shape of their blanks to square(ignition)
round(doors and trunk) Easier to grab with new column mouted anti theft ignition cylinders. This was still in use when I left GM in 1984.
Recoding involves a knowledgeable lock smith decoding the lock cylinder.There are 5 brass keyways inside the lock each different heights. Then transposing that over to the key machine and cutting a new key takes place. It's actually easier than it sounds. I have a habit over over explaining.
Thats all I know
Marshal
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
vettman1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brcmpbl
I'm taking a guess on this but since your in Edmonton if your car was a Canadian export car then a GM have a record of your car and any GM dealer can still make your keys from the VIN. GM Canada can do this from 1965 to current.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like I'm in business if I can find a decent locksmith in the city. I have a GM oval blank for 1970 already.

Vettman, the car was sold new in Roanoke VA, so that infamous St. Louis fire burned up all its files. This is good information though, I didn't know GM Canada could do that for a Canadian car. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Glove Box / Spare Carrier Key

Quick Reply: Glove Box / Spare Carrier Key