Sponsored by:

Wrecked rear end - decision time

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 AM
yel76low
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked rear end - decision time

Well I was out to lunch a couple of weeks ago and got whacked in the rear end by a co-worker. (I was inside, and as he was in the restaraunt parking lot turning around he caught the rear end with his truck and tore it off the car.) Pictures of before and after are below.

I took it to a Corvette shop for an estimate and it came out to be $5850, so I've got a check in the mail coming for that amount. Now it's decision time - what to do? I can't justify to myself spending $6k in body work on this car just to put it back to where it was, the car just isn't in that great of shape. Non-numbers matching, previously wrecked at some point because there is frame damage and not perfect fiberglass already, and just overall fair-to-good (not great) condition. So I see the following options...

1) Sell the car as-is and get what I can. What do you think it's worth? It is drivable and as-is and I drive it with no problems all the time.
2) Send the car to a auto body tech school and see if they will fix it for the cost of the materials and paint.
3) Hobble the thing back together in a real pathetic kind of way, touch the paint up a bit, and turn the car into an autocross car / ugly driver that I can still have. I've got a lot of parts that I still haven't put on the car yet. (VBP performance suspension, fuel injection, T5 tranny, etc...)

Complicating factors is just my current life situation. My wife (bless her heart) is a little more logical than I am, and knows that the Vette isn't exactly the best use of our finances and time with young children, etc. So if I sell it, I probably won't see another Vette in my garage for another 20 years...

So what do you think? What's the car worth if I were to sell it as-is? Any other suggestions as to what to do?

Thanks! Luke

Last edited by yel76low; 10-23-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

patch it , drive it, keep the money
Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I vote for fixing it.....
Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Tough decision . . but properly restoring that one- given the concerns you've listed- is probably going to take more than the insurance payment will cover. Any effort to try and repair it on a budget and you're right back where you started.

FWIW, I'd say try and peddle it as-is . . .there's always going to be an optimistic weekend warrior out there for whom it will be the perfect project, the next race car or some other whimsical endeavor.

Stick it on Craig's List for $3-4 grand and take what you can get!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Take the insurance money; sell the car as is. Move on.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
yel76low
Pro

Originally Posted by CQRT
FWIW, I'd say try and peddle it as-is . . .there's always going to be an optimistic weekend warrior out there for whom it will be the perfect project, the next race car or some other whimsical endeavor.

Stick it on Craig's List for $3-4 grand and take what you can get!
LOL... that's what my options 2 and 3 were! It's going to be tough for me to cope with the idea that I won't see another Vette for a long time. But, the kids are probably going to be more interested in four wheelers and go-carts for the next decade anyway...
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the car in the garage and work on it yourself every time you and the Mrs are squabbling.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM
oldC3guy
Instructor

I would second the motion to cast around and see if there is a training center or high school skills program that would be interested in taking your car in. They probably don't get too many chances to work with fiberglass and you might get a taker. It's worth taking time to check around for this venue.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yel76low
So if I sell it, I probably won't see another Vette in my garage for another 20 years...
Then I'd never sell it then...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Originally Posted by PhotoVette1
Put the car in the garage and work on it yourself.
It looks like the OP did a poor job of installing a seamless rear bummer. Search for Stinger12's Rookie Restoration thread - Great detail on installing a seamless bumper.

Do it yourself and learn as you go. Then paint a black stripe around the back end!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That check will buy a lot of duct tape....

Honestly, I'd fix it myself (should actually be pretty easy, and I do like the black stripe idea) and put the excess money into a college account for the kids and a nice night out for the wife.

Wife will be happy (you know how that works), the little ones will have some education funds, and you'll still have a Vette that probably won't be any worse off than it was before the event.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

And this is why I won't ever consider putting on seamless bumpers. I bet the damage would have been less if it was just bolted on. Either way good luck with what you decide to do
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinG
Then I'd never sell it then...
EXACTLY!

unless of course the black one in the picture is yours also...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looks like on Ebay they are going for $8-10K. You have $6K in your pocket. If you can sell it for $3-4K you're money ahead.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM
irvan
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

i think maybe you could take the money from the insurance and buy another one and put the money from selling the car into whatever use your wife wants and everbody wins.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Unless I was going to sell the car anyway, I couldn't FATHOM selling the car over this.

If I had a $6k check coming my way for THIS amount of damage, the decision would be very, very, very, very simple. Buy a bumper and figure how to replace it myself.

Heck...for $6k I'd have myself a welder, a new bumper, a new paint job, and make a pretty good dent in putting a supercharger on the engine!!!

But that's the power of doing things yourself. Even if it isn't perfect...as long as it doesn't look like you stuck it on with bubble gum, it'll be fine.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go
It looks like the OP did a poor job of installing a seamless rear bummer. Search for Stinger12's Rookie Restoration thread - Great detail on installing a seamless bumper.

Do it yourself and learn as you go. Then paint a black stripe around the back end!!!

fix it yourself little by little.

Get notified of new replies

To Wrecked rear end - decision time

Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice window sticker!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 PM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If its covered by insurance and the money is already coming you aren't really out of any money getting it put back to where it was before the co-worker messed it up right? So unless you were struggling and this insurance money is like some blessing in disguise I say fix it and carry on as before.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Jasonb86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repainting/repairing a car and doing a good job of it is a lot of work. I think you have to really like a car and be committed to it before you take the time/effort to strip it down, take trim off, work through any issues/delays with the painter, and put it back together again after. If you really like the car, go for it and fix it. If not, sell it, keep your best parts, and get another one later.

Quick Reply: Wrecked rear end - decision time