C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1973 Corvette Convertible Restoration Thread (Picture Documentary)

Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Linas
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love red C3 convertibles with black vinyl tops. Here's mine

Good luck with your project!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope only the best f/ you and the new 'Vette. No doubt the older ones are more cool IMO, and the big block is really neat. Looking at my SBC in the engine compartment of my car, it blows me away how they squeeze the big block into that same area. My brother had a Sunbeam Tiger w/ a 289 in it back in 1971, and it had a rubber plug in the passenger side floor board to change the rear spark plug on that side. Now, that was a tight fit, but the big block in the Corvette is in need of a shoe horn. LOL! Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Nice work. Any plans to return it to its former green with saddle interior?
Actually no, I don't have any plans to go that route, for a couple reasons.
1. The paint on the car is actually in really good shape. Other than inside the door jambs, there really aren't many blemishes.
2. I am not a fan of elkhart green. If it was a 75 bright green metallic vert, we might have a reason to, but elkhart isnt my fav.
3. It will be easier to dye the interior black than back to saddle. Plus that will cost less.
Originally Posted by Linas
I love red C3 convertibles with black vinyl tops. Here's mine

Good luck with your project!
Thanks!
I love them too! They sure are growing on me
Originally Posted by texas jim
I hope only the best f/ you and the new 'Vette. No doubt the older ones are more cool IMO, and the big block is really neat. Looking at my SBC in the engine compartment of my car, it blows me away how they squeeze the big block into that same area. My brother had a Sunbeam Tiger w/ a 289 in it back in 1971, and it had a rubber plug in the passenger side floor board to change the rear spark plug on that side. Now, that was a tight fit, but the big block in the Corvette is in need of a shoe horn. LOL! Good Luck!
I am kinda dreading doing the motor and trans in the future, let alone adding headers etc. I sure is a tight fit.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Started the interior re-do today. Since the carpet is new, I won't have to do that, even though I had to install new seat belts. As for all the other interior panels, they will all need re-sprayed black, since you can see the saddle interior coming through. I will be replacing the door panels and also the center console housing. Here are a few pics of the progress so far:
OLD broken housing:

New housing with painted shifter plate:

New quarter Trim:

Resprayed the lower dash pads as well:

Check out bubba's handiwork: Good thing I had parts to replace:

Here are some more small bits getting the last coat of paint before being attached to the new door panels I bought for the car.

Here is my lovely wife helping me in the garage!

Last edited by chstitans42; 08-21-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
ironwills76corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work!! Great looking ride, and I bet she turns heads.....
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ironwills76corvette
Nice work!! Great looking ride, and I bet she turns heads.....
Sadly she turns less heads when she is disassembled in the garage! I am just waiting on parts from willcox...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
2ndGen
Advanced

Cool '73. Definately more cool than the land barge!!!
(even though land barges have their merits, as well!)
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM
ironwills76corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Sadly she turns less heads when she is disassembled in the garage! I am just waiting on parts from willcox...
Waiting for parts is the pits, unless you can find other area's to tinker while waiting.........and its all great work your doing, really going to enhance the car.

I was intrigued by the fact you traded a C5 for a C3.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

I have not posted in this thread for a LONG TIME, but the work has continued on the vert. The interior is all done, and alot of small things have been done. This week a new top is on the list. I will be posting up pics real soon!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 PM
dbarnesid
Cruising

Default OH joy!

A man after my own heart.

I began my restoration project in May. It's a 1972 mille miglia red roadster with a red interior. It's a 350 that does NOT run like a 350. Former owner was Bubba, but also a builder of dragsters here in southern Idaho. My c3 now boasts about 350 hp and a 9.5:1 compression ratio. It is really about 360 cid.

But oh my gosh this car looked a lot like yours. My seats were terrible, the paint beyond terrible, AC compressor missing, bad tires, on and on.

Here's my list (from memory).
Carb rebuild
Tires
Master cylinder
Power brake booster
Tranny rebuild (because Bubba decided to replace the shifter seal by removing the old seal with a chisel. He trashed the tranny case so I get to buy a new one to plug the Bubba induced leak.)
New seat foam
New seat covers
Carpet
Parking brake console
Paint instrument bezel
Paint seat belt covers
Recondition door hardware
Recondition Corvette emblems front and rear
New door window rollers
New interior light socket on driver side
Recondition pin switches

Coming soon:
Windshield frame replacement (rust)
Paint
New show quality bumpers
Driver side rear view mirror

Sound familiar?

PM me if you ever want to commiserate. By the way. I would make the choice again. I love this 72.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

No THAT is a list!
Luckily, I don't plan on doing the paint on this car, because the paint it has on it now is decent, not perfect, but it will work for now. Hopefully I wont have to do as much as you did, but it might be close, Bubba sure has had fun on mine in the past!

Any of you guys watch fast and loud??? I just dropped the 73 at ASM auto upholstery in Dallas and Sue is going to get the new top on! Yay!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a pic of me with the car right before we took it down to Sue's shop.

Also here is a pic of the old top. It will look much better when done!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM
dbarnesid
Cruising

No THAT is a list!
Luckily, I don't plan on doing the paint on this car, because the paint it has on it now is decent, not perfect, but it will work for now. Hopefully I wont have to do as much as you did, but it might be close, Bubba sure has had fun on mine in the past!

Any of you guys watch fast and loud??? I just dropped the 73 at ASM auto upholstery in Dallas and Sue is going to get the new top on! Yay!
I know. And the list keeps growing. But dang looking at yours gives me hope. I forgot to mention that I'm getting a new luggage rack too. The old one is nasty. Bad rust. Yuck.

Then I get to save some money to do the brakes. It never ends, actually.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbarnesid
I know. And the list keeps growing. But dang looking at yours gives me hope. I forgot to mention that I'm getting a new luggage rack too. The old one is nasty. Bad rust. Yuck.

Then I get to save some money to do the brakes. It never ends, actually.
Im surprised you are putting the luggage rack back on,most around here pull it off first thing! My first vette had a luggage rack on the back and I LOVED the thing. Much easier to throw something on the rack instead of trying to get it to fit behind the seats. Now wit a car with a convertible top, I bet that will be much harder!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM
dbarnesid
Cruising

Im surprised you are putting the luggage rack back on,most around here pull it off first thing! My first vette had a luggage rack on the back and I LOVED the thing. Much easier to throw something on the rack instead of trying to get it to fit behind the seats. Now wit a car with a convertible top, I bet that will be much harder!
Actually, the wife and I BOTH think the car looks much better with the rack. It adds balance and a little zing to it. I wouldn't even consider removing the rack.

And neither would I consider removing the spare tire bin. I don't like having a clear view of the undercarriage. Not pretty IMHO. I'm restoring mine now and I got a used tire to put in it. It had an original Firestone Wide Oval inside that had never been used. I'm cleaning it up and am going to lean it against the car at show and shines.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

C42, great project! Quick question for you - what black paint did you use on the shifter plate and other interior parts? Also how did you manage to paint them without getting on the chrome trim? I need to do paint my plate, gauge cluster panel, lock ***** and door handle. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM
dbarnesid
Cruising

Originally Posted by Lupigiato
C42, great project! Quick question for you - what black paint did you use on the shifter plate and other interior parts? Also how did you manage to paint them without getting on the chrome trim? I need to do paint my plate, gauge cluster panel, lock ***** and door handle. Thanks!
Sorry to butt in. Yo don't keep the paint off the chrome borders. You wipe it off with lacquer thinner or scrape it off with an exacto knife. Both can be done after about 15 minutes. Use SEM semi gloss. The stuff is perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To My 1973 Corvette Convertible Restoration Thread (Picture Documentary)

Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbarnesid
Sorry to butt in. Yo don't keep the paint off the chrome borders. You wipe it off with lacquer thinner or scrape it off with an exacto knife. Both can be done after about 15 minutes. Use SEM semi gloss. The stuff is perfect.
That is exactly what I did on mine!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks guys! I'll be following this for new pictures!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM
GRIZ73
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

73 big block convertible! Sweet!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1973 Corvette Convertible Restoration Thread (Picture Documentary)