C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1973 Corvette Convertible Restoration Thread (Picture Documentary)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Default My 1973 Corvette Convertible Restoration Thread (Picture Documentary)

This thread will be continually updated showing the restoration of my 1973 Corvette Big-Block Convertible. I will not be doing an entire frame-off restoration, BUT little by little I will be improving the car, and providing a story to go with.

A week ago, I decided to post up my 1999 Corvette C5 on Craigslist, just to test the waters and see what was out there. I had owned a c3 before, but had sold it, and bought a c5 as a daily driver. The '99 was a great driver car, amazing handling and acceleration, but what did it in for me was the cost of maintenance, insurance, and parts! For example, one relay for the A/C was $170!!! Also, I know c3s inside and out, they are more "me" you could say. You never get the thumbs up, or pictures taken of the c5 like you do in c3s
Here is a pic of the old '99:

The plan was, sell the c5, and try to get myself into a chrome bumper car. I got an email last week from a guy who lived about an hour from me, who offered a straight across trade, my c5 for his c3. I was skeptical at first, but the car turned out to be a pretty solid car, not to mention an original '73 BB Convertible!

After the hour drive home, here is the car!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are a bunch of pictures of the car right as I got it home, in "as-bought" condition. As you can see, the car needs TONS of cosmetic restoration to say the least! Also, the carb and suspension need a good going through as well.

Last edited by chstitans42; 11-15-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have no idea of values, but I'd take the C3 over the C5 any day, congrats!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM
ji58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice trade!! the black top over red looks great!!:
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I really like the black top as well , good luck on the resto, looking forward to following your thread.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good trade !

Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Hot looking car! Welcome to the 73 club. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your restoration.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you did good. Keep in mind that I have a 04 Z06 and dont think I would trade for another C3, maybe a C2. I know what you mean about the waves and thumbs up when I'm in my 70 compared to the Z.
Congratulations!!
Now let the work begin and please keep use posted. Looking forward to reading and watching your thread.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM
C02VETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definatly a good trade! I did the same thing. Traded my 2002 for a 1972 BB.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I sold my 99 convertible last April and bought another C3. The 99 was starting to have electrical gremlins and I got rid of it before they became real headaches.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

The day after I got it, I drove it down to Garland, TX where Mike (tracdogg2) and I were able to do a few minor tweaks to the car. First of all the carb, which is of a 1980 Corvette, was running really lean. We adjusted the float level, tweaked a few other things and got the car running much better. Future plans will be building a nice 454 tuned carb for this car, so that I wont worry about burning valves etc. WE also replaced a cracking rubber fuel line, with another temp one. I have on order the correct metal fuel lines for this car, so that I wont have to worry about these things exploding gasoline all over my hot engine.

I also was able to pick up a set of windows for this car. For some reason, the driver's side window was broken out completely. In the next post, Ill show the window install.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

On one of my free afternoons, I decided it was time to do three things. One, fix my window problems, two, clean out the interior, and three assess how much Bubba has been in this car.

So the drivers side window install didn't take much time, I also greased the innards of the door with white lithium grease, cleaned the door panels and installed them, since they were just hanging on the tops of the doors.

The passenger window was intact, BUT one of the rollers was totally broken off. Luckily I had one in the other "new" window that worked just fine. Took about ten minutes to replace. As I did with the other one, I cleaned the door panel and re-installed them. As you can see in the pics, the interior has been dyed from saddle to black, and as it works as a driver car, eventually it will be changed out. For now it just needed a good cleaning. I also had to use a window roller out of my parts stash, and paint the handle black

What a little cleaner and armor-all can do

Here is a paint history of the car. Originally Elkhart Green, the sprayed blue, and now red.

The third thing was remove the stupid "blocks" that bubba made and installed in order to put in older style seats in this 73. The problem it made was that I wasn't that comfortable in the car, but now with the seats an inch lower, its a bit more comfy for me. The carpet is also new, but not installed 100% correct. In the future, I will be fixing the seat belts and how the carpet is laid down.

So the diagnosis is, that this car has alot of good parts, and some good work done to it, but there is "bubba" in the details. (He wrapped the center A/C vents in aluminum foil so they would shine.) It will take a little while to get this all like it should be.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:49 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Great Pics! I am working on a similar '73 Vert down here in Boerne, TX. Completely rebuilt the rear suspension already and have the front apart now. Yours is in better shape than mine was, but you gotta love a '73 ragtop!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

So next up was the brake system. I see this car as one of those cars where I want to do it once, and then not worry about the car. The brakes worked just fine (or so I thought) but I decided to put it up on jack stands anyways and check them out.

So three of the four calipers checked out, but one rear one was leaking. The pads all around the car were either worn well, or wet from brake fluid. As for the rotors, well they were 100% from 1973, because they were still riveted on. I decided to just go all the way, and get new everything. New lines, calipers, pads, rotors, and master cylinder. I also ordered a new front cross-over brake line, seeing the other one had been bubba repaired and needed replaced.

LEAKY CALIPER

Original Rotors!! But hey, the power steering lines are all new!

On to the new stuff!!

For some reason, I didn't take pics of the front, but they look just as nice. I hope to change out "while I'm at it" the rear leaf spring, and the entire cooling system, seeing the rad, rad support, rad hoses, and water pump all need replaced. Better safe than sorry!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM
manofsteel1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At least you did not have to drill out the rivets on your rear brakes like I will have to. Someone must have replace the brakes earlier if its lifetime. Besides this message, I also sent you a PM please go and read it. TT
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by manofsteel1
At least you did not have to drill out the rivets on your rear brakes like I will have to. Someone must have replace the brakes earlier if its lifetime. Besides this message, I also sent you a PM please go and read it. TT
I did have to drill out the rivets on the front brake rotors. Now that was fun!

The weather stripping on this car was either totally rotted out or even missing, so I spent the big bucks and bought the hard top set and the set for the car. I will be buying the soft top set later. Here are a few pics of the hardtop weatherstripping install. the hardest part was getting some stubborn retaining screws out that had rusted into place.
OLD

NEW

OLD

NEW

Time to replace the rubber on the body of the car.
OLD

MISSING

OLD

NEW

Last edited by chstitans42; 01-23-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My 1973 Corvette Convertible Restoration Thread (Picture Documentary)

Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE!

So in the past few months, a lot of work has been done, but I haven't had time to post anything up so here it goes!

Next on the immediate things to do list was the cooling system. The water pump had a wobbling shaft and the radiator had a bunch of pinhole leaks. It was the original one to the car, so it was clearly on it way out. Also the radiator support was rusted out due to the fact that the rad leaked. There isn't any other rust on the car other than this, due to a faulty rad. I will be eventually replacing the mechanical fan and shroud with a dual spal fan setup from Dewitts.
Check out the pics!
Old Radiator with clear leaks down each side

Here are a few pics of the old rad support. Rusty rusty rusty

Here is a pic of the new rad support and rad installed

Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Cool pics I took with my neighbor's old 50s Poncho

Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,433 Likes on 778 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Nice work. Any plans to return it to its former green with saddle interior?

Quick Reply: My 1973 Corvette Convertible Restoration Thread (Picture Documentary)