Need Advice - 1970 454 value and my potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Vette_Noob
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - 1970 454 value and my potential purchase

Hello all,

First let me preface this post by saying that I know nothing about Vette's and I'm not a mechanic in any way shape or form. I have the potential to purchase a 1970 454 corvette, convertible, manual, mulsanne blue with a white top. There is around 70k miles on the original motor. There is no rust on the vehicle and it is in good driving condition. The current owner has had the car at least 20 years. It is not driven very often and is kept covered. All parts are original. I would put the car in good condition but it is not in show condition.

How do I go about valuing this vehicle? I'm being offered it at a family price of 25k which I'm told is 10-15k approx under it's current value. I believe this information to be fairly accurate but I figured I'd turn here to get more educated.

My main question is what is the range in value on a car of these specs depending on condition?

and

Would you buy it? I have the means to pay cash for the car but I'm stuck. I also have a long term current chevy mechanic in the family that is going to help me learn how to work on the car.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

have you looked at www.collectorcarmarket.com ?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM
boynton6spd
Advanced

Get it inspected...
If it is a NICE driver big block convertible, I think you are doing pretty well...
Good Luck With Purchase!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by boynton6spd
Get it inspected...
If it is a NICE driver big block convertible, I think you are doing pretty well...
Good Luck With Purchase!
Great advice! I'd also double check all the numbers, VIN, engine block, trans, etc to make sure it is for real! They've been faking cars for decades, and who knows, the present owner may or may not be aware if it's a fully 'numbers matching', 'Real Deal' 70' BB Convertible!

Add up too, the cost and value of the accessories that are there or are not there! Like AC for instance and check the trim code to make sure it came with the trim it was supposed to come with as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Vette_Noob
...All parts are original...
How do you know? Have you checked?

...How do I go about valuing this vehicle?...
Have it appraised.

...family price of 25k...
How "family" is the family member selling the car? Not to be personal, but if the deal later sours or the car turns out not to be as someone in the family told you, can you live with the consequences of having bought it from a relative?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Vette_Noob
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
How do you know? Have you checked?

Have it appraised.

How "family" is the family member selling the car? Not to be personal, but if the deal later sours or the car turns out not to be as someone in the family told you, can you live with the consequences of having bought it from a relative?

It's close relatives, parents. I know we are all suspicious people but it isn't any sort of bait and switch deal or anything like that. There of course can always be things misstated on accident or out of ignorance. I'm going to try to get more details about the car and post here later.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You haven't posted any pics....
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Vette_Noob
...I know we are all suspicious people...
I'm usually not. Making an informed buying choice does not equate to being suspicious.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice - 1970 454 value and my potential purchase

Quick Reply: Need Advice - 1970 454 value and my potential purchase