C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best / Most Radical Factory Paint Jobs for C3's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Best / Most Radical Factory Paint Jobs for C3's?

I've seen the two tone silver aniversary paint jobs on teh 78's fairly often, but I'm curious if maybe there are rarer factory (special edition) paint jobs out there on our beloved c3's?

Feel free to throw in a couple cool custom "tribute" type paint job pics as well. Let's see 'em.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

There were 6502 Pace Cars; rarer than the SAs. Check the Black Book for the 81 and 82 two-tone combinations numbers. There were four cominbations for each of those model years. 6759 CEs.

There was supposed to have been one pink car and one chartreuse car painted at St. Louis.

Technically, cars leaving the plant in primer (unpainted) would be considered rare.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 12-07-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Thanks for your input, as always, Mike.

Keep it coming. Bring the photos, gang... I'm curious what's out there.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

There have been various accents and such over the years, but I don't believe there were any factory tow-toned C3's prior to the '78 PC and SAE. That said, IMHO it's hard to beat a well done Motion based scheme if doing a two-toned chrome-bumper shark.

For rubber-bumper ones, after all these years I've grown rather tired of my SAE's B2Z paint and become dead set on going monochromatic, so I can't bring myself to recommend any of the factory's late C3 two-toned themes other than for "correct" work. Sorry, JMO.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

There was a single bright blue 81 built, but like the chartreuse 77, this was a pre-production, pilot line car, and not really a production paint job.

Probably the rarest special factory "production" paint jobs were the two 69 ZL1 Corvettes. While the basic paint was a standard production color, both cars got unique black paint stripes, that were never used on any other production Corvette.

One was painted yellow, with a black strip painted around the top of the front surround panel. The second car was white, and had a wide black strip starting on the L-88 hood scope, and running the length of the car, similar to a Motion Performance stripe.

In most years, there have been a few Corvettes painted in special order COPO paint jobs too, but there is no documentation as to what these paint jobs were.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys... Appreciate it. I'll look up Motion, those 69's, and COPO jobs and see what the research reveals by way of Pics.

As always, much appreicated.

Get notified of new replies

To Best / Most Radical Factory Paint Jobs for C3's?

Quick Reply: Best / Most Radical Factory Paint Jobs for C3's?