Planning my LS Conversion.... Opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Planning my LS Conversion.... Opinions welcome

I've got a 64 "Old School" Resto-Mod, and last spring I bought my 72 coupe. It's a body off / fully restored base model with auto and 3.08 rear gears. I love the car but I'm really disappointed with the overall performance, both ride/handling and SOP fun. I knew this going in, but I really wanted a great bumper car. So with all of that said, I've decided to jump all in and do a complete LS Resto-Mod. I've been working with Josh Powers at Custom Image Corvettes to help me plan it out. So here is where I'm at. Please feel free to give opinions (except don't do LS swap comments:

Engine: Used LS3 out of a 2010 Grand Sport. I plan to boost HP to just over 500 HP with cam and head porting.

Exhaust: I'm planning on using Z06 exhaust manifolds instead of headers. Plan to tie this to pypes 2.5" x-pipe system. Haven't decided on mufflers yet.

Tranny: Keisler RS 500. I went this way instead of the SS700 due to gearing combination advantage. The SS would have required me to change out my 3.08 rear gears. The kit is an auto to manual perfect fit for an LS motor.

Suspension: Going with the Jim Meyers C3 Handling Package which includes custom tubular "A" arms up front, QA-1 Double Adj coil-overs, and a 1" sway bar. In the back, QA-1 Double Adj shocks, with a sway bar. I'm going to add on a VBP 330# mono spring and smart struts to finish off the back end.

Steering: Debated between Rack or not. Decided on Borgeson gear box.

Brakes: I'm going with a Hydrotech boost, modified for an LS, with a Willwood master cylinder. Staying with my existing disc's.

Radiator: Dewitts LS series for C3 Corvettes

Gauges: Dakota digital VHX series for C3's. They have custom developed this series for several cars, and currently they are working on the C3 version. I can't decide if I want the blue or red color with the silver background????

Custom fit items: I'm working directly with Josh on misc custom items such as wiring harness, front accessory drive, etc.

So, fire away with thoughts and ideas. Things I'm still considering are:

Go with a carb setup instead of EFI. This would be easier and less expensive and provide a more "original" look. Downside....not EFI. What else?

Relocate coil packs and install custom valve covers or don't and put coil pack covers on.

Should I upgrade my AC system to a vintage air (or other) while I'm in there? Mine doesn't work very well and I hate the blower capacity.

Here are some links to my parts lists:
http://www.customimagecorvettes.com/
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd721.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120832001049...84.m1432.l2649
http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/cv7.html
http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/corvet...page_tabs.html
http://www.dewitts.com/collections/l...eries-radiator
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...rged-Ends.html
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...r-1963-77.html
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...ke-Assist.html

Last edited by CWerner; 12-08-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Some of my thoughts are
Your choice of engine is excellent. I went with an LS3 and installed a cam and new springs and rockers. Minor head cleanup also. I personally would stay with fuel injection. Yes it is a little more expensive but well worth it. I would not run a carb again. The benefits and driveability with fuel injection far out weigh any cost or modification. It is really quite easy to do plus you should already have everything if you bought a complete motor. Wiring harness I went with PSI. The yare somewhat local to me and the guys are very helpful and the harness is all brand new. PLenty of wiring also to put things where you want. The front acc I used I think Josh uses them also but I went straight to the manufacter on this. The exhaust for simplicity the manifolds are the easist and flow well. This is one of my biggest headaches right now with the swap. Long tubes nobody makes a decent set that fits worth a crap. I have spent well over 1100 dollars on 2 sets so far and am back to square one on this. Radiator definitely go with Dewitts on this. Mine fits perfect. I have relocated the coil packs also and had some new valve covers done up and it looks much better with the coil packs relocated. The Vintage AC system is a nice system and Idid not have AC so I went this way. The Vintage system is very compact and cleans up the engine compartment and from what I have experienced blows ice cold air all summer long. Little pricey but you will find out nothing is cheap on this swap. Good luck and any questions many here have done this.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Gordon

If I don't swap the AC now, do you think I will regret it later? Since I'm going "all in", I'm trying to make the smart decisions now so I won't regret it later.

My AC trips on and off. I've had it checked by the local auto shop and they found nothing. Pressure was good both hi & lo. Maybe the POA valve, but I'm lost here and so was the local shop. On top of that, I've got the typical poor air fan blower. The VA system solves all of this.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Josh knows his stuff; so you're off to a good start there. He's got two of my cars at his shop doing complete resto-mods w/ LS engines. I would stick w/ the EFI...no questions there. Since you're going all-in, I'd consider the Van Steel rear coil-over system. Last thing...with all that extra power, don't forget your differential & half-shafts. Consider upgrading to a Super 10-bolt setup from Gary Ramadei in the northeast or "Tracdogg" down in your neighborhood (DFW).
Old 12-08-2012, 01:54 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Ranger

I thought hard about the rear coil over setup. I finally settled on the Meyer suspension because I've got new trailing arms already and it's not going to be a track car. This is one area I can always come back and change......aka, it's not in the engine bay!

Thanks for the comments
Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by CWerner
Gordon

If I don't swap the AC now, do you think I will regret it later? Since I'm going "all in", I'm trying to make the smart decisions now so I won't regret it later.

My AC trips on and off. I've had it checked by the local auto shop and they found nothing. Pressure was good both hi & lo. Maybe the POA valve, but I'm lost here and so was the local shop. On top of that, I've got the typical poor air fan blower. The VA system solves all of this.
I would stick with the VA system. The original one is just that original. So how old are all the components? You may fix one now and then another one goes down the road. You will be surprised how compact the VA system is and it leaves a virtually flat firewall. Which to me is a nice addition.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Gordon,

Thanks for the advise. I've got to get a new compressor to fit the new serpentine system and Josh was suggesting I get the one that VA uses in case I want to upgrade down the road. It sounds like I could save about 300 by doing the swap now instead of later. Really good advise for someone that uses AC 9 months out of the year...HOUSTON.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

As others have already stated, stick with EFI for your LS swap. It will add cost and complication to your swap, but it is far worth the effort.

I have been waiting for Dakota to come out with a VHX kit for our cars. I would install those gauges and then install a double DIN head unit where the stock gauges are!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Gordon

Without question upgrade the A/C now, you are tearing out the dash to do gauges and now is the time to do it.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

I've got a 64 "Old School" Resto-Mod, and last spring I bought my 72 coupe. It's a body off / fully restored base model with auto and 3.08 rear gears. I love the car but I'm really disappointed with the overall performance, both ride/handling and SOP fun. I knew this going in, but I really wanted a great bumper car. So with all of that said, I've decided to jump all in and do a complete LS Resto-Mod. I've been working with Josh Powers at Custom Image Corvettes to help me plan it out. So here is where I'm at. Please feel free to give opinions (except don't do LS swap comments:

Engine: Used LS3 out of a 2010 Grand Sport. I plan to boost HP to just over 500 HP with cam and head porting.

Exhaust: I'm planning on using Z06 exhaust manifolds instead of headers. Plan to tie this to pypes 2.5" x-pipe system. Haven't decided on mufflers yet.

Steering: Debated between Rack or not. Decided on Borgeson gear box.
As stated stay with F.I.

1) I would strongly consider some type of headers be it mid length. While the LS7 manifolds aren't bad, with head work and cam you are leaving lots of power on the table.

2) Any reason why you aren't going with R&P steering on an all in build?

Do your research, I used various Forum vendors for my build and was less than satisfied with some when I learned that items listed as "direct fit" were not. Also some vendors here are merely middle men that markup the price when you can buy direct. Like I said, do your research.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, and keep us updated.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

My biggest debate has been the rack vs borgeson. Lots of opinions. I'm 55 / 45 on this one. With every opinion I swing.

I talked with my previous builder of my 64 resto-mod. He's put more than 10 cars in magazines. I have a lot of faith in his opinion. He said to go borgeson.

Help!!!!!

Back to AC. I'm going to make the swap to VA.

Corey, thanks for the other advise. I'm triple checking everything.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

My biggest debate has been the rack vs borgeson. Lots of opinions. I'm 55 / 45 on this one. With every opinion I swing.

I talked with my previous builder of my 64 resto-mod. He's put more than 10 cars in magazines. I have a lot of faith in his opinion. He said to go borgeson.

Help!!!!!

Back to AC. I'm going to make the swap to VA.

Corey, thanks for the other advise. I'm triple checking everything.

Fair enough

Yeah, VA is a no brainer. I just finished installing a Gen IV unit I in my 68 and love how it uses factory controls but electric.

Just remember to post pics of your progress.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

I am using the electronic controls on my VA system. I have a custom console being wittled out of aluminum so the 3 switch rotary ***** are going to be used. All electronic.

I second the R&P system. I have been running it for a few years and it drives like a new car.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Gordon

Rack attack or steroids?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Gordon

Rack attack or steroids?
I have the Steeroids on my car but have installed the Rack Attack on other cars. They are virtually identical as far as the rack as irecall just the tie rod ends are slightly different. Which ever one you can get a better deal on iwould buy it. They will perform the same. Both excellent units.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Chappie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I love that '72 on the CustomImageCorvettes website. Love those fender flares, Vintage wheels, and fat tires!

Chappie
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Have you considered the Flaming River R&P system? It looks like a better design than the others. I like the idea of the solidly mounted cradle for the R&P; it seems there is a lot of play in the other designs.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph.../s0001/FR312PW

Get notified of new replies

To Planning my LS Conversion.... Opinions welcome

Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM
carodgers57
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at these gauges? http://www.newvintageusa.com/
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I am using the electronic controls on my VA system. I have a custom console being wittled out of aluminum so the 3 switch rotary ***** are going to be used. All electronic.

I second the R&P system. I have been running it for a few years and it drives like a new car.
I am doing a LS swap with Vintage Air upgrade. Pictures of your control panel. Going to say ***** but didn't sound right!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 AM
DEEPSEA70
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Fabrimodification

Here's just one of the many mods to putting and LS3 Grand Sport dry sump into the 70.

Had to extend the brackets by 7/16" to account for the crank shaft of the dry sump.

This all went in pretty easy actually.

I need to finish up my shifter plate, but that is a custom mod as well. Should have some pic this weekend.

It's been fun. Look forward to starting some day.

Last edited by DEEPSEA70; 01-11-2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: You were looking for opinions, sorry. Plan on spending way more than you plan. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Planning my LS Conversion.... Opinions welcome