C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift plate and boot fit problem.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Shift plate and boot fit problem.

I will likely have to modify the metal surround on one of my boots but I really hate to do that.

I ordered a new re-pop shifter plate for my '77 Corvette. I had the stock shift boot with metal surround and a new re-pop I ordered a few years ago that I had never installed.

The old shift plate was thrown away long ago.

The new shift boot metal surround is too big for the opening on the shift plate, both in length and width.

I tried the old stock one and it's too big too. In fact the new shift boot was the exact same size as the old one so the issue here is the shifter plate. The opening is just too small.

I can't cut material out to make room for the metal surround because I'll lose the screw locations. My only option it to cut the surround on all four sides and installing it that way.

I don't want to try to order a new shift boot as I'm worried it'll be the stock size too and won't fit.

BTW - All parts ordered were for a 1977 Vette specifically.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:38 PM
sedowney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was replacing my 73 boot the metal surround was too tight and the screw holes did not line up. I had to do some slight modifications (aka bubbafications) which included drilling new holes and cutting the metal. PITA but the finished product looked nice. Just take your time.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Remco88
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having the exact same problem on my 77 , i have what looks like the original plate on there and the boot i ordered from ecklers was too big. the tech guy said the car might have a 1976 plate installed based on the dimensions of the plate opening that i gave him.so instead of checking to see what style the plate is (turns out its a 77 like it should be) just ordered the 1976 boot, i just got it in and its alot closer but like 1/8" too wide on the top and the overall length is about 1/2" too short, so i just sent another email to ecklers tech dept trying to figure out what the deal is,i could modify this one to work but i would rather not if i didnt have to. what did you end up doing DB?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Remco88
...the tech guy said the car might have a 1976 plate installed based on the dimensions of the plate opening that i gave him...
That's BS. I'm trying to figure out what the tech meant. The 76 trim plates are the old style (68-76) metal plates; the 77s all have the new-for-77 plastic consoles.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 12-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shift plate and boot fit problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift plate and boot fit problem.