Sponsored by:

carpet kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 PM
McVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carpet kits?

hey guys I am thinking about changing the carpet in my 1979 corvette...the carpet is in dire need of replacing. I was wondering if anyone has any friendly advice in tackling this project...ex length of time required....any sets that u would endorse...known issues with doing this...what to do while i had seats and carpet out?...thanks in advance....Steve
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi McVette. For what it's worth, I did some research on carpeting this year, looking to find the closest likeness to OEM and settled on Al Knoch. I bought a set of loop carpet from them while in Carlisle this past August. I will install it before spring.

I will use the opportunity to install some Hush Mat insulation when I have everything out of the car. This stuff, in case you hadn't heard about it, reduces sound transmission as well as heat from the engine bay and undercarriage, which at least in my '72 non-AC convertible, is a BIG DEAL! I'm looking forward to the improvement already.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
McVette
Racer

why TY u sir ...yes it is a lot of help
Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 PM
oledave60
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny you should ask. I have been staring at this piece all day, afraid to make the first cut and debating to glue or not glue. Still no idea as to how to proceed. I searched this forum and google for some tips ( ie which piece first ) and found nothing. So good luck.

I got my complete carpet set from Wilcox (ACC) and it looks great.

Dave

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

You could consider a cut pile carpet kit which would be more plush and was probably optional for your year car. I went that route. I got ACC carpet, but I hear Al Knock is the way to go...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM
cb.bums
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

few suggestions. order carpet with mass backing, heavy rubber molded with the carpet. will take the noise out of your car. lay old carpet pieces on top of new carpet pieces. you can fine tune the trim, cut small holes. make sure you're installing pieces on correct side of car. use spay can of glue to position pieces, trim will ultimately hold them in place. C3 carpets from ACC need very little trimming. keep insulation thickness down to 1/2" or less. use chalk to mark any trim line, comes off easily. trim 1/2 " at a time, hard to glue back together. ask for more help, we're all in this together.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
McVette
Racer

Thx I am sure i will be asking for more help/....lol

Get notified of new replies

To carpet kits?

Quick Reply: carpet kits?