Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do..."misplaced" engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:43 PM
jschulz30
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you are truly satisfied with the outcome. If you would have involved an attorney, the machine shop would have been responsible for all legal fees with this time of claim. I happy it worked out for you.

I'm not an attorney, but I drink with them regularly.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone73
I met with the owner this morning and the issue has been resolved...I appreciate the advice from the forum.

Although I was absolutely livid when we first met, the more rational and patient me worked out what I feel is a fair resolution. It included a better block, machine work and financial considerations. As to whether or not it made up for the actual loss of a numbers matching engine...I do not know, but I am content.

The original engine block is gone....can't produce something that is not there. I do feel after speaking with the owner that a mistake was made by an employee. I also do not feel it ended up being used for other purposes.

I guess the important info or advice I can pass along is that when you take an engine or any part for repairs or reconditioning...be sure to document. Take pictures, write down on work orders your vin...block number..date code or other info to identify your parts. This will help in the resolution of problems.

I am not going to name the shop or the owner, as I feel the issue has been taken care of.
I would file a police report.

This way, if that block ever surfaces somewhere, it is still yours, just like a stolen car you haven't been paid off on.

If you don't, whoever has it owns it.

Given you probably are talking a 1973 from your name and avatar, I'd say you took an $8000 hit in car value now, based on what seems to be typical prices in the market currently. The later the car, the less it seems to get. For example, no one seems to care over a 1979 original or NOM, so odds are it may be as little at $1000 difference. Go for a C4 and I don't find any differences in pricing.

What that may be when you decide to sell the car is another matter.

As to not naming them, I don't know which way to tell you. By not naming them, another person may suffer the same fate either by their carelessness or their unethical manners.

I took a set of heads to a place because my guy didn't have the machine to cut them the way we wanted. They screwed them up. One hundred hours in the heads were thrown away. Since many racers used them, I told everyone constantly, so that no one else would lose out as we did.

I can't remember them anymore, but I don't think it matters. I think they went out of business a few years later.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone73
So I suppose the 4 dead flies and some machining was a good deal...
4 dead flies are way cool, not as cool as a dead skunk...but pert' darn near
Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure he gives you an engine that would increase the value of your car. Example a 73 with a stock numbers matching L48 is worth XXX dollars, but a 73 with a couple of hundred extra horsepower (non numbers matching engine) may be worth even more. Maybe an LS6?

Quick Reply: What would you do..."misplaced" engine