Back two Body Mount Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
ncvettedude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back two Body Mount Bolts

Folks,
I am in the process of doing a body off lift on my 68 convert and cant seem to break the back two bolts loose. They were stuck (even after spraying a ton of anti seeze on them) and now after putting the impact wrench on them they are just spinning. All the rest of the bolts are out. Any suggestions? My thought is to torch them off and then replace the mounts but with the convertible it is not all that easy.
Thanks,
Clint
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You in a heap 'a trouble, boy.

Just kidding. A little.

If the #4 bolts are just spinning, the cages inside the body that retain the nut have been damaged. You will have to reach them from inside the car. They are underneath the hinge and spring cage that allows the rear deck to open and swallow the folding top. You will have to remove the spring cage and then drill out or grind off the rivets on the reinforcement beneath that to get to them.
I'd use a Sawsall or an air cutter to cut the #4 bolt. I am concerned that a torch might cause a frantic 911 call.
At the risk of being Captain Obvious, use anti-seize on the bolts when you replace them.

Last edited by gcusmano74; 12-17-2012 at 08:57 PM.
chadronvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to get inside and remove the cages because you cannot get a wrench in there otherwise. I then get a wrench on the bolt head to hold it steady, then used a sawzall to remove the bolts. Mine is a coup so maybe no help here.
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1582553798

Someone jsut went through this

Mooser
Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 PM
ncvettedude
Intermediate

Ok now it hurts. Had no idea it was this bad. Guess it gives me a chance to refinish the hinges etc.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Take a dremel tool and cut the head of the bolts off on the underside of the body. Then you can lift the body and work on the rest of it later from inside the compartment at your leisure. Working from the bottom of the body you won't F up the interior parts in order to remove it from the chassis.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cut the bolt heads off and get the body off the frame. Repair the cage nuts later. Chances are they're toast anyway.

It's not all bad once you resign yourself to the fact that the deck lid hinges have to come loose and that you will have to remove the reinforcements to get to the cage nut and get the old body mount bolt out. You may be able to save some of the reinforcements, some may need replaced. If you find a couple of them rusted more than you thought, you'll be glad you had the opportunity to replace them. The hardest part of the job, believe it or not, is removing and reinstalling the bolts on the back side of the deck lid hinges. They are a bear to get access to.

Be thankful that the other 6 body bolts came loose without too much fuss and consider replacing those rear cage nuts as a rite of passage into Corvette restoration - Like going through hazing before admission into the fraternity
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvettedude
Folks,
I am in the process of doing a body off lift on my 68 convert and cant seem to break the back two bolts loose. They were stuck (even after spraying a ton of anti seeze on them) and now after putting the impact wrench on them they are just spinning. All the rest of the bolts are out. Any suggestions? My thought is to torch them off and then replace the mounts but with the convertible it is not all that easy.
Thanks,
Clint
If you are talking about the 2 under the rear deck lid (The 4's or #4 & #8 depending upon your frame of reference) no biggie. Take a grinding wheel to them from underneath the car. Forget about the cages - you can pull them out and by going from the inside, put ol' nuts and bolts to hold them. That's what I did on my '69 Convert. and I assume yours is the same.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM
ncvettedude
Intermediate

Folks,
Thanks, Cutt the bolts off last night going to lift this weekend. Since I have a 4 post lift I guess I am cheating. Should still be fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Back two Body Mount Bolts

Quick Reply: Back two Body Mount Bolts