Oven Baking question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Oven Baking question

Hello all,

I saw in a picture somewhere of a member who had an oven in his garage to bake parts after painting. I have a close friend who has a heated shop and we were talking about cleaning/painting parts. I told him about the picture I saw and that I had an unused oven that we could put in the shop. We are interested in this process and wanted to know a few things.

My first question is, what are the benefits of doing this? Does this make the paint last longer/harder?

When using the oven, what temperature do you use?

Does the oven give off any harmful fumes that we need to be aware of for venting, etc?

Any other insites would be appreciated.
Ken
Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the only need for an oven is if you are going to be powder coating the parts. I have a friend who uses the Eastwood powder coating system and bakes them in his oven. He loves it. Baking liquid paint just makes it cure faster but does nothing for durability
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I have an old oven in my shop for powder coating small parts saves lots of time and money.
Mark
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, you can sufficiently bake paint on most parts with a flood light.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

I find that baking the paint does wonders. In just a short time you drive off all of the volatiles and the paint is as if it has been on the part for years.

Most paints you have to re-coat immediately, or wait several days to avoid lifting what you just put on. Baking the paint takes this lag time away. As soon as it cools, you can treat it as if it's been on there forever.

Don't cook it too hot. That will ruin the paint. You just want to drive off the volatiles.

Don't do it in the house, especially if very fresh, unless your wife is very forgiving (like mine).

Try a baking piece that has fairly fresh paint and make your own impressions. Do it when the wife is away and leave all the windows open with a fan on.

I find it best to suspend the piece from an oven rack using a wire hanger through bolt holes. You will mark the paint where it lays on the oven rack.

Last edited by toddalin; 12-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

You may find this video will answer some of your questions.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pro body shops "bake" paint to speed cure times. Actual temps in the booth rarely if ever exceed 150 degrees Farenheit. An hour in direct sun during the summer is as good as an hour in a "paint oven". DO NOY TRY THIS INSIDE or in an oven you will later use for food! Heating the paint makes it outgas the solvents used to allow the paint to flow... there are very harmful chemicals emitted during the dry time and you DO NOT want to contaminate foodstuffs with xylene, benzine, isocyanates or the like. Even spray bombs have bad stuff in them... heat parts in only a well ventilated area.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by markids77
Pro body shops "bake" paint to speed cure times. Actual temps in the booth rarely if ever exceed 150 degrees Farenheit. An hour in direct sun during the summer is as good as an hour in a "paint oven". DO NOY TRY THIS INSIDE or in an oven you will later use for food! Heating the paint makes it outgas the solvents used to allow the paint to flow... there are very harmful chemicals emitted during the dry time and you DO NOT want to contaminate foodstuffs with xylene, benzine, isocyanates or the like. Even spray bombs have bad stuff in them... heat parts in only a well ventilated area.

Any type of paint or powder coating outgases.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have an extra oven to put out in the garage, then why not. Beware of older ovens, as may need expensive repair parts to get going. Don't think your wife would appreciate you curing powder coating, in her kitchen oven. As mentioned, heat lamp's do handle lot's of stuff. I have a bathroom fixture infrared bulb in a portable fixture, that works pretty good.

Get notified of new replies

To Oven Baking question

Quick Reply: Oven Baking question