1982 Corvette Cruise Control Servo

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Silvergreen0
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Corvette Cruise Control Servo

Hi there

I have a 1982 C3 fitted with cruise control. The system is in very good condition with everything working, except the servo. There are different types of servo for the Corvette, mine has a little chain on it that links to the cruise control cable. The servo will not hold a vacuum on test. I wonder if anyone has been able to repair one of these or know where I can get a replacement.

Thank you
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You can disassemble them and clean the components and clear orifices. If you find any significant wear, you might want to exchange it for a rebuilt unit. Several of the aftermarket vendors sell them on an exchange basis. I would try the "cleaning" approach, first. See if you can 'Google' the info to disassemble/clean the servo, to assist your efforts.

Also, have you verified that the fuse in that circuit is good and that the engagement signal (from the engagement switch) is reaching the circuit? Lots of easy things can keep that system from working other than the servo head.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Silvergreen0
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Corvette Cruise Control Servo

Thank you for those thoughts, but it is the servo I am having problems with, not the transducer. The transducer controls the pull on the throttles by way of a bellows servo which is vacuum fed. The servo has a leak in it and I need to repair the servo or replace it.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Oops! My misunderstanding. I've never heard of one of those things going bad...but I'm sure they do. Probably the diaphragm getting torn/worn.

I think you can replace that with about any similar can from a parts store or salvage from another GM car. The only thing you might need to do is modify the orifice in it for quicker/slower reaction to speed changes.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 PM
slewfooot
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently the 1982 Corvettes have some unique items on them as compared to the 1980 and 81 Corvettes so I'm not surprised you are having trouble finding the correct Cruise Control parts. I had some of the same issues with my 1982 Corvette and I could not find the replacement parts so I replaced the Cruise Control System with an Electric System. If you're interested in going this route, let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Corvette Cruise Control Servo

Quick Reply: 1982 Corvette Cruise Control Servo