Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part out car or sell complete car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
billsfan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Part out car or sell complete car?

An interesting topic for debate. An average mid 70's C3 does not bring a decent price, unless it is in excellent shape. How many guys have parted out their cars instead? A lot of original parts are hard to find and costly, not to mention the drivetrain. I would think that you could get a better price by parting it out, especially if it has some issues.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

A quick look at the C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted shows that there are quite a few cars being parted out. The difference is most of those are projects where the owner bit off more than they could chew, or parts cars bought specifically to help another project.

But the idea of taking a roadworthy car and parting it out, even if it does bring more money, does not sit well with me. I've seen a few posts on here where they could not give the body/frame away after all other parts had been sold. A few were taken to the dump.

I say we want as many C3's on the road as we can get.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parting a car is a huge amount of work. Not only do you have to disassemble, categorize and advertise the parts, but you must clean them, store them, move them around as you search for something that's all the way in the back of the garage, send out multiple photo requests to prospective buyers, chase payments, wait for personal checks to clear,box and ship the stuff and then fight with certain buyers who did not read your description carefully, or who think all used parts should look BRAND NEW. I do it because that's how i finance my toys but if I were trying to pay myself by the hour to do this I would lose my butt.

Last edited by markids77; 01-24-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Part out car or sell complete car?

Quick Reply: Part out car or sell complete car?