New window motor bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 AM
joerob727
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New window motor bad?

Did I get a bad motor?

After hours of work gutting my door, scrubbing every inch of track, and carefully reconstructing, I believe I may have just installed a bad 'new' motor.

Whenever I hit the power switch, I hear the motor run for about a second before the window budges. I, of course, initially believed that I had forgotten or incorrectly installed a runner or gear, but I can look down the door and see the motor gear (not the regulator, the actual gear on the motor) remain still for a second before spinning and moving the regulator.

What say you guys? Bad part or installer error?

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If it is doing exactly the same thing as before you installed the motor, then you haven't located the real problem, yet. A weak motor action is most always due to corroded/burnt contacts on the switches or a wiring problem (frayed, corroded wiring).

If you disassemble the switches, take photos and/or mark them well so you can put them back together properly. The aftermarket switches are 'junk'. You should clean/file the contacts on yours and reassemble/reinstall them. Also, put a dab of dielectric grease on those contacts so they will not start having the same problem later.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 AM
joerob727
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If it is doing exactly the same thing as before you installed the motor, then you haven't located the real problem, yet. A weak motor action is most always due to corroded/burnt contacts on the switches or a wiring problem (frayed, corroded wiring).

If you disassemble the switches, take photos and/or mark them well so you can put them back together properly. The aftermarket switches are 'junk'. You should clean/file the contacts on yours and reassemble/reinstall them. Also, put a dab of dielectric grease on those contacts so they will not start having the same problem later.
Nope, it is NOT doing "exactly the same thing", I never said that. It is nothing like it was doing before, old motor worked well. I swapped it out because the terminals at the connection were rusted/burnt off, yet when I held the connections together it worked just fine.

And it is not "weak motor action". I never said that either. Motor works and moves window just fine. Just takes a second or so of motor spinning before gear startes to react with a jolt. Something is screwy with the gearing INSIDE the motor.

I did check the switches too. I swapped the connections from driver to passenger side and switches work fine.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by joerob727
Something is screwy with the gearing INSIDE the motor...
Originally Posted by joerob727
Did I get a bad motor?
Maybe.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Either the motor you got was defective or you've made some error during installation. Did you check motor operation before you installed it to assure that it worked properly? Once installed, any binding in the window mechanism can 'mask' the operation of the motor.

Get notified of new replies

To New window motor bad?

Quick Reply: New window motor bad?