Sponsored by:

looking for info

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
garyf_1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for info

looking at getting a vette for a project , seen this add for a 1974 corvette stingray.

"corvette stingray, needs work, moter tranny frame are excellent, has around 400 hp, t bar roof,,,"

i know its not much to go on but what can you tell me about these that i should look for.the good ,bad and the ugly.
thanks gary
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Read this. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-corvette.html
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's less than zero to go on. We don't have the entire description, dont have any photos, don't know the asking price or even where you and (or?) the car is located. Help us help you and try to fully communicate what it is you're looking at.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 PM
garyf_1
5th Gear

Sorry but I have no other info
There are no photos I have asked for some
He is asking $3500
I am located inI sydney Nova Scotia Canada so is the car
Thought I could get some info about this model before I went to see it
Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

There should be a lot of responses to this question to follow. But the major one is to look for rust in the birdcage area, which is the windshield frame down to the chassis, and around to the back of the door near the rear wheels. The body may be fiberglass, but the frame is metal and there is often rust near these areas.

The next item is a quote from one of the corvette restoration books. The most expensive vette you will own is often the cheapest vette you will buy. That is because the amount of parts you will buy to replace the old worn out parts, and to get the car running, may far exceed the price of a car that you can actually get in and drive away.

But my final statement is for you to actually go and see the car in person. It may be what you always wanted, or it may be so far gone that you walk away. In the end you have to decide how many vettes there are in Nova Scotia, and how far you want to drive to look at one. Many opinions will tell you how much cars are selling for in Texas or California, but unless you are willing to drive there, look at the car and then figure out how to get it back to Canada, it offers you no help.

So go look at it, get some more information, then come back to the forum and give us an update. Without you seeing it, we cannot give you an answer.

Good luck

kdf
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by garyf_1
Sorry but I have no other info
There are no photos I have asked for some
He is asking $3500
I am located inI sydney Nova Scotia Canada so is the car
Thought I could get some info about this model before I went to see it
Thanks
Run!

Most of the time when I see any C3 in this range, it means the body looks like they stripped the paint with a wood chisel. Usually the body in that condition means the interior is garbage, and the weatherstripping will be so old, it crumbles.

Right there you have 160 hours at least in work if you are good and progress quickly. Triple and double that if you are like most of us.

And remember, that is actual working hours, not clocking from now until it is done.

Paint is going to be a minimum of $1000 in materials. Safer to figure at least $1500 in materials if you are doing the work. A gallon of paint is around $600 now.

Interior can run $1000 to $2000 easily, depending on what is bad and how much you replace.

Weatherstripping is about $300. Window felts and such can bring another $250.

The miscellaneous stuff will kill you.

If you are doing it for the love of the car and doing all your own work, figure $3500 in parts and materials at least. Add your time to that. Then figure out if you can buy a decent running version you can climb in and drive away every day in.

To many, money and time are irrelevant as it is saving an old car that is important to them.

To others, this money and time kills their project and ends up disillusioning them to the point of giving up.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just giving you something to think about before you jump in instead of after you jump in.

Go see the car, take lots of pictures, take pictures of the frame, suspension, and engine compartment especially, and post them here. You will be amazed at the information you will get.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 02-03-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdf1986
There should be a lot of responses to this question to follow. But the major one is to look for rust in the birdcage area, which is the windshield frame down to the chassis, and around to the back of the door near the rear wheels. The body may be fiberglass, but the frame is metal and there is often rust near these areas.
I bought a 74 through a friend (mechanic) of my that said it was a good car and he was thinking of buying it for his daughter, well after buying and and the car went to his house for him to build a sb (part of the agreement) I get the car home and find out the birdcage is sooooo far gone that when I opened the drivers door it fell off on the floor.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Worth reading before you write the check.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Before you even consider looking at the car, my question is how much of the restoration process are you capable of doing yourself? If not most of it, keep looking for a better car in better condition. Yes it will cost more up front but in the end save you $$$$. Looking forward to the pics.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 PM
garyf_1
5th Gear

email from him today , it is an auto shift , 350
sorry but i can not add pictures
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
redwhitekat
Racer

Look at the car before you buy it and take your time the first thing is rust look under at the frame and check it
Other thing take it for a drive listen for things that can sound wrong. U said it has 400 hp ?? So I'm assuming there's a aftermarket engine so if original means anything to you forget it.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by garyf_1
email from him today , it is an auto shift , 350
sorry but i can not add pictures
ANYONE can add pictures.

Read this on how to add pictures to CF.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1579867198-post88.html
Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
garyf_1
5th Gear

this might work not sure just two picks he sent
i am going to see it as soon as i get a chance

http://tinypic.com/r/11ih84h/6
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM
garyf_1
5th Gear

Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stpman
I bought a 74 through a friend (mechanic) of my that said it was a good car and he was thinking of buying it for his daughter, well after buying and and the car went to his house for him to build a sb (part of the agreement) I get the car home and find out the birdcage is sooooo far gone that when I opened the drivers door it fell off on the floor.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Not bad looking for it's age. If it has a birdcage in decent shape AND a complete interior, I'd think it'd be worth the $3,500 easy. With the claim of 400 hp, you know it's been modified, so I'd be making sure all the work done looks and performs like it should. If it has been half-assed, 'bubba'd' out and hangar wire and duct tape are everywhere, then run.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

It has an 80-82 style rear bumper.

But, why does the window say SOLD on it? Did he recently buy it and realize what was wrong and trying to re-sale?

Get notified of new replies

To looking for info

Quick Reply: looking for info