69 side exhaust cover hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Jeremy58Jeremy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 69 side exhaust cover hardware?

Hey guys, I just got a set of original side exhaust covers back from the chrome shop and will be putting them back together on the original insulators. Does anyone know if there is a specific hardware kit for this? when I got them they were put together with random screws, nuts and bolts. I haven't been able to find anything online other than the set to mount them on the rockers and frame. If not, does anyone have pics of the original cover to insulator hardware so I can try and match it up. Thanks

FYI, I will be selling this set once I get them all back together, I ended up going with re-pops on my car. So if anyone wants an original set I should have them assembled once I get back into town. Oh and if you ever want to get a set re-chromed, estimate what you think it will cost, multiply it by four and that's how much it will actually cost. I wish I didn't have such a soft spot for making old things pretty again!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Jeremy58Jeremy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Haha, no problem. Yea that mounting kit and the screw kit mounting the insulators to the car are the only ones I could find. I need the cover to insulator hardware
Old 01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you mean the screws you need and fit in the backside holes of the covers ? Something around 10 per side ?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

You need 12 number 8 head size black machine screws. The two front screws will need locking washers on each side.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Jeremy58Jeremy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep those are them, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some funky fastener that i was supposed to be using. Thanks Guys
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Lets see some pics of the rechrome job. I am in the market for stock sidepipes for my 69. Shopping at the NCRS meet this weekend.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

And how do you plan to add the black stripes between the fins ?

Here you can find how I did it

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...pipecover.html
Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Jeremy58Jeremy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Roma, I planned on pretty much doing it just like you did on your covers.
The chrome turned out pretty good considering how trashed this set of covers was. There are a couple of blems in the chrome due to deep pitting that the shop coudn't get out without sacrificing the integrity and longevity of the new chrome. They kind of look like tiny reversed water droplets, if that makes any sense. I don't know if you can pick them up in the pictures or not, about the size of a pin head. Anyway, not really an issue from two feet away, but for the absolute perfectionist it probably wouldn't fly. Overall I'm pretty happy with the job, like I said, If I didn't have such a soft spot for restoring original stuff, I probably would have hucked this set in the trash, because they looked horrible

Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

If you don't mind, where did you get the work done and what was the total? I have a few original sets that need rechromed. A shop near Harrisburg PA (forget the name now) quoted me around 9-1100. Thanks, john
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Jeremy58Jeremy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
If you don't mind, where did you get the work done and what was the total? I have a few original sets that need rechromed. A shop near Harrisburg PA (forget the name now) quoted me around 9-1100. Thanks, john
I got them done at Ogden Chrome, in central Utah. It was 1200 for triple show chrome and they offer free shipping to and from their shop. I don't think that they offer a lower quality service, but you may call and ask them. Great guys and good work, I'm having them do my rear bumpers now too.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Jeremy,

looks realy nice. Please tell us your progress with the stripes. It was not easy to do it

If you want to sell it give me an PN with the price. I have a friend in Austria who is looking for a pair.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Jeremy58Jeremy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

It will be a bit bfore I can work on them, I'm up on the Arctic Coast of Alaska at work right now. I'll let you know how they turn out.

BTW, Roma, I sent you a PM
Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

The chrome work looks fantastic! You might consider trying it out on the car without painting the "black" between the fins. Depending on the color of he car and other chrome accessories, I think that these sometimes look better without the paint.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Jeremy58Jeremy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yea, the problem with not painting the fins is that thay have a pretty rough casting in the "valley" of the fin. It makes the chrome look kind of rough and tin-foil ish, if that makes any sense. Here's a pic of the non-painted center section.

Looks more textured up close

Get notified of new replies

To 69 side exhaust cover hardware?

Quick Reply: 69 side exhaust cover hardware?