Sponsored by:

Caliper Pin Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Caliper Pin Rattle

I've noticed that there is a rattle coming from the front of my car and it sound like it was coming from around the wheel area. So I go home and got under the car with a rubber mallet and started tapping it on parts of the car and sure enough, I traced it back to the pin that runs through the caliper and brake pads. When I hold the pin and tap the caliper with the mallet, the noise went away.

Are there different length pins available? I'd think that if there was a shorter pin available it wouldn't be so noticeable and still allow full range of movement for the pads.

Anyone else have this issue? I realize it's an old car and they do make noise but why not fix a rattle if you know where it's coming from?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi msu,
Is it possible that it's not the length of the pin, but that the pin is too small for the diameter of the holes in the caliper and pads?
Might you be able to put a couple of very small washers under each end of the pin so that there's a little tension on the pin when you put the cotter pin in place?
Maybe that's just more things to rattle?
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Alan, you're right, now that I think about it the pin could stand to be a bit larger in diameter. I'd bet that would do a good bit as far as far as cutting down on the rattle. Were different diameter pins used over the years? The car is a '69 if that makes a difference, thank you!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

My original calipers did that too.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Replace both your front rotors, and the pads.....

they have been turned, and you simply can NOT turn a C3 type rotor with stock calipers, or much of any other that I know of, they turned by cutting like a olde tyme phonograph record and almost NEVER ground down to take the spiral cutts off the surface, and so the pads grab onto the cuts and jerk the pads in/out on the axial play....and will eventually loosen the clearance on the pins.....

BTDT...... Up my rear in MY case, but same lesson.....

Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

My front rotors were still riveted, not likely to have ever been turned. My brakes were also very good, so don't feel like anything else was going on.
Still the pins rattled. I could only hear it at low speeds. I never worried about it much.
Carter
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Having the same problem here. But i think not only the pin is rattling, i think the brake pads are also rattling.
My idea was to attach a little spring to the pads like other calipers have this to avoid the rattling. But haven´t still started to do something.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the brake pads are rattling, it is possible that you have one or more seized brake caliper pistons. Inspect it and repair it, before the uneven pressure on the rotor overheats one side and warps it. Don't ask me how I know.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Pin Rattle

Quick Reply: Caliper Pin Rattle